What's new

Negative Edge Window?

Mgt2

Noob
I don't know the term but I might know what it is. Can someone please explain this to me. Thank you... when I don't know something, I like to ask.:popcorn1:

justim

Shingo Kick!
Negative edge is when you hold a button instead of pressing the button to do special moves. For example, you can do specials that are :d:r:bp by doing HOLD :bp:d:rRELEASE :bp. You can hold :bp at any time during the command as long as you release it after the motion, the "window" refers to the amount of time you have after the motion to release the :bp after :d:r (which is like..idk feels like 10 frames in this game)

Vulcan Hades

Warrior
Yeah, so basically, every single time your press a button, the game reads it twice. When you press it, and when you release it.

The negative edge window in MK9 is so big it's ridiculous. You can :bp release then do :d, :r, :fp and the :d:r:bp special will come out because the 2nd bp input is still on the buffer and will take priority over :fp. That's why it's so annoying to a lot of players with great and fast execution skills.

Note that you can avoid negative edge by simply not releasing the button you don't want the game to read twice (so in this case holding :bp and releasing it after :d:r:fp). This is especially useful if you have a stick because on pad it's kinda hard to do.

Mgt2

Noob
Negative edge is when you hold a button instead of pressing the button to do special moves. For example, you can do specials that are :d:r:bp by doing HOLD :bp:d:rRELEASE :bp. You can hold :bp at any time during the command as long as you release it after the motion, the "window" refers to the amount of time you have after the motion to release the :bp after :d:r (which is like..idk feels like 10 frames in this game)
Thank you. :rolleyes:

Mgt2

Noob
Yeah, so basically, every single time your press a button, the game reads it twice. When you press it, and when you release it.

The window in MK9 is so big it's ridiculous. You can :bp release then do :d, :r, :fp and the :d:r:bp special will come out because the 2nd input is still on the buffer and will take priority over :fp.

That's why it's so annoying to a lot of players. You can avoid negative edge by simply not releasing the button you don't want the game to read twice. This is especially useful if you have a stick because on pad it's kinda hard to do.
ohh I see. I use a pad so hmm..

Ribx

Noob
Or you can simply do what I do: press the button before the directions.

Instead of d,b+1, do 1 d,b. Learn to do this, and you're bound to increase your chances.

Note that you can avoid negative edge by simply not releasing the button you don't want the game to read twice (so in this case holding :bp and releasing it after :d:r:fp). This is especially useful if you have a stick because on pad it's kinda hard to do.
oh thank god, I'm so sick of ending sonya combos with a ring instead of a leg grab online, especially when the leg grab is going to do around 4% more damage

tenshox

Noob
This happens to me when i try to cancel normals into specials like 70% of the time. Especially with Nightwolf 2~hatchet, i´ll get 2~command throw. So when i try to do juggle combos i am screwed , cause i drop the combo i wanted to do quite often. One solution is to hold down 2 and do hatchet as mentioned above; but when you try to do this in a dash/juggle combo it can get pretty irritating.
In my opinion you should get rid of NE, or at least decrease the NE window by a large margin.
The funny thing is, i didn´t have any problems with NE in ssf4 so far or any other fighting game in that regard, except MK9.