What's new

Need with Superman

I haven't fought online yet but I just don't feel comfortable with plow I should go about attacking with him. For one I only know very basic combos with him and I can't seem to end them with his flying punch special. I also can't use the heat beam after doing his throw special. I really want to learn him but I feel like I've hit a wall.

Superman can do as he please for the most part. Depending on who you are up against, fly around shoot lasers and wait for an opening. Pressure by going d1 then f23 f2d31 or 223 mix it up. end strings with db2 superbreath to get some space

LK-520

Noob
Superman can do as he please for the most part. Depending on who you are up against, fly around shoot lasers and wait for an opening. Pressure by going d1 then f23 f2d31 or 223 mix it up. end strings with db2 superbreath to get some space
I partially agree with this - Superman has a pretty solid neutral game, and can more or less be played at any range. However, I'd be careful about just flying around and using heat vision - It's got a lot of landing recovery, and people with fast, long range punishes like Deathstroke or the Flash can hit you for it or close the range easily. You can definitely throw it out to check people, just be careful not to get predictable or rely on it too much.

d1 pressure is good once you're in close, as are blockstrings ended with ice breath (non EX) which I believe leaves you at advantage. If you get a hit on any of your strings, you obviously want to confirm into full combo - I don't actually like ending combo strings with breath though, BECAUSE it gets you space, and there's almost always something else you can do to get more damage anyway. A lot of other characters seem able to play a better range game than Superman does.

What I like to do in neutral game is try to play midrange footsies as much as possible. Superman's f2 and d/f3 (slide sweep) have much better range than a lot of normals and are reasonably quick, which makes them ideal punishes. Plus, f2 nets you a full combo on hit, and can be cancelled into breath on block, making it a very safe option even if you just throw it out.

I haven't played Superman with frame traps and mixups so much as defense, patience, and punishes. Game's still early obviously, so we'll see what people figure out in terms of that stuff - I've had a lot of success with this mentality so far though.

Exar0s

Cassie Cage <3
I partially agree with this - Superman has a pretty solid neutral game, and can more or less be played at any range. However, I'd be careful about just flying around and using heat vision - It's got a lot of landing recovery, and people with fast, long range punishes like Deathstroke or the Flash can hit you for it or close the range easily. You can definitely throw it out to check people, just be careful not to get predictable or rely on it too much.

d1 pressure is good once you're in close, as are blockstrings ended with ice breath (non EX) which I believe leaves you at advantage. If you get a hit on any of your strings, you obviously want to confirm into full combo - I don't actually like ending combo strings with breath though, BECAUSE it gets you space, and there's almost always something else you can do to get more damage anyway. A lot of other characters seem able to play a better range game than Superman does.

What I like to do in neutral game is try to play midrange footsies as much as possible. Superman's f2 and d/f3 (slide sweep) have much better range than a lot of normals and are reasonably quick, which makes them ideal punishes. Plus, f2 nets you a full combo on hit, and can be cancelled into breath on block, making it a very safe option even if you just throw it out.

I haven't played Superman with frame traps and mixups so much as defense, patience, and punishes. Game's still early obviously, so we'll see what people figure out in terms of that stuff - I've had a lot of success with this mentality so far though.

As a Superman player (currently ranked #74 online) you wan't to use breath in all combo strings. The reason for this is because Superman's corner pressure and damage is god like. Once you have an opponent cornered they are fully at your mercy. You have options like air dash overhead into 50-60% combos, corner frame pressure with d1/f23/223/ breath to try and hit confirm f23/223 into full combos, ground smash mixups etc. If you get someone in a corner with Superman they have to work their ass off to get out, when they do you can combos into air grab and throw them back in the corner.

Just my opinion on using breath during combos.

Loth Ryo

of house Ryo krypton
As a Superman player (currently ranked #74 online) you wan't to use breath in all combo strings. The reason for this is because Superman's corner pressure and damage is god like. Once you have an opponent cornered they are fully at your mercy. You have options like air dash overhead into 50-60% combos, corner frame pressure with d1/f23/223/ breath to try and hit confirm f23/223 into full combos, ground smash mixups etc. If you get someone in a corner with Superman they have to work their ass off to get out, when they do you can combos into air grab and throw them back in the corner.

Just my opinion on using breath during combos.

Grats on your current rank and thanks for your input I think of myself of a fighting game noob but your insight is helpful. Any good videos you know how showing how to do his combos? I could only find one that slowed it down and it only showed two mid combos

Exar0s

Cassie Cage <3
Grats on your current rank and thanks for your input I think of myself of a fighting game noob but your insight is helpful. Any good videos you know how showing how to do his combos? I could only find one that slowed it down and it only showed two mid combos
Unfortunately I don't have any or know of any videos showcasing Superman's corner combos/pressure. Read Satsui's topic "Superman Prime Living Guide" and hit practice mode until your fingers bleed or you obtain the necessary muscle memory to pull them off consistently. Superman is a tougher fighter to master as his mid range game requires a lot of precision and patience. Best of luck to you, Superman is an amazing fighter.