What's new

Need to implement throws more into my game. Help!

Every since the game came out, I've been using the PDP fight stick, but the 2 button command (1+3) to execute a throw felt awkward to me at first...I always just kicked or punched (on accident) instead. Therefore I never EVER performed a throw. I feel like my game has moved up to the next level in the last few weeks, but something that is still missing is Throws. When I watch high level players, Throws are a big part of their mix ups, but that just isn't the case with my game.

If anybody could offer some basic advice and strategies about when they perform throws and why it would be much appreciated?

EDIT: I main Reptile if that changes any advice or strategies mentioned.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
I main with raiden so I tend to mix in a little teleport and throw. Since you main with reptile, try maybe doing a slide into a throw? Also if your opponent tends to block a lot in the midscreen its always good to use a throw when your both at a stalemate.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
This is a department where I lack... I tend to be very predictable up close and need to get more throws in. I think the only reason I don't (with Ermac) is because unless I can throw my opponent in the corner I have to work to get next to them again... especially if it's a Sindel. lol

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I map the old Run button to throw and that helps a ton. The default layout on the pdp stick it is character switch for 2v2 but having that as throw is so much more useful. As for when to throw if they stand block a jps (angled jump punch) instead of going into your combo throw them. The only way for them to get out of it is to break the throw. If they are expecting a combo they won't try to break it. Another situation I throw in is after a short pressure string. I don't use Reptile so I'm not sure what string is good for him but for Sub-Zero I'll do 2,2 then dash forward and throw. Corners are often easy to get throws. Usually if you've knocked them down into a corner twice they'll hesitate on the next attack, use the hesitation to dash in and throw.

There are two types of throws in this game Back and Forward. All throws (not counting command throws) are by default back, to throw forward you have to press forward when you activate throw. Use this to control where you and your opponent are on screen. Best strategy is to throw towards the corner. Also don't throw them out of the corner. I see players do this all the time and it kills their positioning.

Just a little about throw breaks, they are done by using the opposite direction punch or kicks. So for a back throw you need to hit either front punch or kick, for a forward throw you need to hit back punch or kick. Unfortunately you just need to read/guess what direction the throw will be, the animation is the same at the start.

This is a department where I lack... I tend to be very predictable up close and need to get more throws in. I think the only reason I don't (with Ermac) is because unless I can throw my opponent in the corner I have to work to get next to them again... especially if it's a Sindel. lol
I have the same trouble with her as emrac, too. I feel like I'm dancing around the fireballs, and then *FLAP FLAP THUD* I get hit with the cartwheel. :hammer:

Other matchups, though, the 3, 1 2, jp mix up works like gold. Even if they don't block the second jp people still seem to have trouble avoiding a throw. They probably are just used to being in control so close to ermac that they freak out.

I've actually never thought about switching the throw button to the old run button...Definitely given that a try today. Thanks for all the other situational throws you mentioned. So far I feel like the only time I throw is when I make a pre-determined effort to throw. Gonna start working on implementing these throws in these situations you mentioned.

I map the old Run button to throw and that helps a ton. The default layout on the pdp stick it is character switch for 2v2 but having that as throw is so much more useful. As for when to throw if they stand block a jps (angled jump punch) instead of going into your combo throw them. The only way for them to get out of it is to break the throw. If they are expecting a combo they won't try to break it. Another situation I throw in is after a short pressure string. I don't use Reptile so I'm not sure what string is good for him but for Sub-Zero I'll do 2,2 then dash forward and throw. Corners are often easy to get throws. Usually if you've knocked them down into a corner twice they'll hesitate on the next attack, use the hesitation to dash in and throw.

There are two types of throws in this game Back and Forward. All throws (not counting command throws) are by default back, to throw forward you have to press forward when you activate throw. Use this to control where you and your opponent are on screen. Best strategy is to throw to wards the corner. Also don't throw them out of the corner. I see players do this all the time and it kills their positioning.

Just a little about throw breaks, they are done by using the opposite direction punch or kicks. So for a back throw you need to hit either front punch or kick, for a forward throw you need to hit back punch or kick. Unfortunately you just need to read/guess what direction the throw will be, the animation is the same at the start.
Great post just to add to this sometimes when you get a knock down you can run up and throw. I usually perform this after baiting a wake up.

Be aware that throwing may prevent your character from applying pressure. Some times throwing is bad especially if your landing strings. It also depends on the character someone like shang tsung would throw at every chance.

On streams I've seen people calculate the dash by reptile to land in front of their opponent then throw.

Also dont forget you can jump angled punch then start the combo and then throw you didn't have to finish the combo. This of course would be character dependent.

BehindTheLight

Dojo Trainee
Great post just to add to this sometimes when you get a knock down you can run up and throw. I usually perform this after baiting a wake up.

Be aware that throwing may prevent your character from applying pressure. Some times throwing is bad especially if your landing strings. It also depends on the character someone like shang tsung would throw at every chance.

On streams I've seen people calculate the dash by reptile to land in front of their opponent then throw.

Also dont forget you can jump angled punch then start the combo and then throw you didn't have to finish the combo. This of course would be character dependent.
I use the PDP stick only too and I do really, really well with it. Lost my last match in Vegas that would have put me in the top 16. What I did was go into training room and practice hitting the 1+3 at the same time. I know it feels awkward at first, but go in there for an hour and just practice it. What I like to do that works great against actual people is dashing in an then throwing. Like the other guy said, I have tried mapping the LB button to throw also, it definitely works too. So give them both a shot and see what you like.

i tend to use throws only when my opponent has turtled up and is waiting for me to teleport or go in for a combo. so the advice i could give you is if he is on the defensive side, throw his ass in the corner.