What's new

Need strategy help against those who "Turtle"- I'm maining Smoke

I'm new to this site, just happened upon it by accident one night at work (happens to be a forum that's not blocked). Very nice it is.

I'm somewhat of a fighting game vet starting with SF2 back in the arcades, but I'm not a diehard. I'm currently using Smoke on MK9 and can pretty consistantly pull of some decent combos, and I'm aware of what moves to use in certain situations, but I have came across my downfall... The Turtle.

This has always been a problem for me in fighting games, If I go toe to toe with someone I can hold my own, but if they play the crouch and block game, or stand and block, I always lose.

With Smoke I know a combo that breaks the crouch block, but I can't ever seem to get in close enough when playing online to hit the move without being hit first. And the lag doesn't help...

Can any of you experts help a guy that want's to better his game?

I'm not a smoke player and haven't played online yet (dam psn!) but on MKvsDC when playing as scorpion if someone was turtling due to your mass teleports then throws were the way to go! Force someone to block and mix in some throws rather than pure overheads. I'm sure some characters are fast enough to jab pressure like Johnny Cage but i haven't really looked at smokes normals.

Thanks Icey, I was unaware that I could throw someone that crouched and blocked, I remember seeing myself wiff this on many occasions, but I guess there was another variable thrown in there. I tried it out in practice and was surprised, so I took it online and proceeded to dispatch of some Ninja Turtles in glorious fashion! Thanks so much

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
When I'm using Smoke and someone is just sitting there, I throw smoke bombs over and over and they learn after popping up over you a few times. Either that or teleport each time they use a projectile. His teleport punch is extremely fast.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Dreamcatcher said:
When I'm using Smoke and someone is just sitting there, I throw smoke bombs over and over and they learn after popping up over you a few times. Either that or teleport each time they use a projectile. His teleport punch is extremely fast.
Or if someone is spam happy, just use his projectile counter attack which cancels pretty much any projectile except the freeze ball.