What's new

Need Advice on Buying New Wireless Router

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
So I'm looking to buy a new wireless router. I currently own a Netgear WNDR3700 that I've had for about four years now.

My house is not really all that big, so wireless range is not that big of a deal. What IS a big deal to me, however, is speed and reliability. My setup looks like this:

- Xbox One downstairs in the living room. Usually is either gaming online or streaming Netflix or other sources of online video

- Roommate's Xbox One is located in a separate room and sees very similar activity as the previously mentioned Xbox One (usually, both Xbox One's are having to separate online gaming sessions or video streaming sessions at the same time)

- My PS4 will be playing (and occasionally broadcasting) MK X. However, I will likely have my PS4 connected via a 25-inch Ethernet CAT-6 cable since it will be so close to the router.

- Several smartphones are connected to the wi-fi at all times

Any recommendations? I'm looking to spend somewhere around $100 - $150

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Why don't you wire them up instead? And leave the phones to be the only ones connected to your current wifi?
Not sure if it's even possible to have 2 consoles online at the same time while on wifi. I would say it would be a horrible experience for one of the 2.

E

Eldriken

Why don't you wire them up instead? And leave the phones to be the only ones connected to your current wifi?
Not sure if it's even possible to have 2 consoles online at the same time while on wifi. I would say it would be a horrible experience for one of the 2.
Consoles don't seem to interfere with one another.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
So I'm looking to buy a new wireless router. I currently own a Netgear WNDR3700 that I've had for about four years now.

My house is not really all that big, so wireless range is not that big of a deal. What IS a big deal to me, however, is speed and reliability. My setup looks like this:

- Xbox One downstairs in the living room. Usually is either gaming online or streaming Netflix or other sources of online video

- Roommate's Xbox One is located in a separate room and sees very similar activity as the previously mentioned Xbox One (usually, both Xbox One's are having to separate online gaming sessions or video streaming sessions at the same time)

- My PS4 will be playing (and occasionally broadcasting) MK X. However, I will likely have my PS4 connected via a 25-inch Ethernet CAT-6 cable since it will be so close to the router.

As long as you dont do wireless gaming then im cool
@cR WoundCowboy

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Consoles don't seem to interfere with one another.
I mean as in the connection should fluctuate if 2 strong signals are being pulled on opposite directions. At least that's what seems logic to me. I've had a bad experience before having a smart tv and the console. Both on separate rooms. Never two consoles though.

aj1701

Noob
I'd get a multiband one that supports 5ghz as well as the usual 2.4ghz. 2.4 has gotten pretty crowded and also prone to interference from cordless phones and microwaves. In my neighborhood I'm the only one with 5ghz so no interference from my neighbors.

But if you're going to play Mk online for the love of god hardwire them, don't use wireless. you'll also have better Hulu / amazon / Netflix streaming.

chores

bad at things

http://www.reddit.com/r/homenetworking is a good place to start. The sidebar has lots of good info.

If you own the house you may want to look into wiring for ethernet. You can connect WAPs to your router via ethernet connection for much stronger wireless signals and you can hard wire all your latency/bandwidth important devices. This will increase the value of your home!

Otherwise my only recommendation is to get a dual band router. Since you said the house is not very large you could put your high priority devices on the 5ghz network and low priority devices on 2.4ghz. Nothing will ever make up for the increased latency of wifi vs hard wired when it comes to serious gaming, but for Netflix/casual games you should be good to go.