What's new

NBA Jam NANI Edition Submitted to MAME

Well I finally got around to dumping this thing. I can't even believe it took me this long, but having been through a fire in this building already I couldn't let it sit around anymore.

Via YouTube:
Unfortunately, I cannot release these roms publicly as this version of the game was never mass produced and sold to arcades. However, in the name of preservation they have been submitted to the MAME team :)

Quick changelist:

-Latest known version of NBA Jam (former T.E. Revision 4.0 3/23/94, NANI Revision 5.2 8/11/95)
-Attract mode text changed, "NBA Jam Tournament Edition Features" now reads "NANI NBA Jam T.E. Features", "Updated team rosters with at least 3 players from each team. 25% of NBA now included!" changed to "Enter your scores in national tournaments via NANI network for cash and prizes!"
-Cont. "Do you think you've conquered NBA Jam?" changed to "Do you think you've conquered NBA Jam T.E.?", "This new addition will prove: Now you need skills!" now reads "This NANI Edition will see if you have what it takes to compete on a national level and win !! Now you need skills!"
-NANI network status added to credits screen, game over
-UART test added to diagnostic menu
-Numerous gameplay changes and bugfixes
-Rumored additional initial entries
I was originally very hesitant to dump the board because I'd thought the way the programmer worded things that he was an added character specifically in this version. Turns out, his initials work in T.E. 4.0 and he's actually the ref; JMS Feb 22. But the reason I held off was because this additonal character would've required me to dump the entire board - the game had already gone through a major update (Jam to T.E.) and any extra graphics data they added would most likely have taken up the additional space in the program roms, so I wasn't looking forward to sitting here dumping all the graphic ones too (cool side note, the character bio videos in the attract mode of MK1 are stored in the program roms).

But after dumping the main two, I decided to do a burn in test and all the other roms checked out OK. So either the other roms are the same as the T.E. ones, or the programmer never updated the rom's CRC database. If I get the time, one day I'll dump a few and see how they turn out.

Screenshots:

Video:

Yeah seriously, and thanks for the tweet yesterday :)

Phil asked one of the NRS guys about Wavenet the other day on VSM, and he made it seem like someone out there still has it. So who knows, there's still hope. I'd say we have the same chances of dumping Shaq's copy of NBA Jam with Michael Jordan in it.

TeddyLoc

R.I.P. Dj Screw
TerryMasters said:
Well I finally got around to dumping this thing. I can't even believe it took me this long, but having been through a fire in this building already I couldn't let it sit around anymore.

Via YouTube:
I was originally very hesitant to dump the board because I'd thought the way the programmer worded things that he was an added character specifically in this version. Turns out, his initials work in T.E. 4.0 and he's actually the ref; JMS Feb 22. But the reason I held off was because this additonal character would've required me to dump the entire board - the game had already gone through a major update (Jam to T.E.) and any extra graphics data they added would most likely have taken up the additional space in the program roms, so I wasn't looking forward to sitting here dumping all the graphic ones too (cool side note, the character bio videos in the attract mode of MK1 are stored in the program roms).

But after dumping the main two, I decided to do a burn in test and all the other roms checked out OK. So either the other roms are the same as the T.E. ones, or the programmer never updated the rom's CRC database. If I get the time, one day I'll dump a few and see how they turn out.

Screenshots:

Video:
Thats very Nice!!! No Doubt!!!