What's new

NBA JAM (2010): Opinions, thoughts, etc

Tim Static

Adminerator
Well after sitting down to play the 360 version, while the game looks SOOOO good in full HD, i have several complaints. Mainly due to what is lazy programming.

First off, ONLY the Left trigger and bumper are used for turbo, which sucks because i feel more comfortable using right side. ALSO....i went to config my control scheme but NOOOO, YOU CANT! what the fuck? its 2010 and you cant even make the controls the way you want them. ugh

sure, small shit but come on, this is a $50 game, not a $10 download. Even if it was a $10-$20 download, i'd still bitch about that! lol (UMK3/MK2 on XBLA/PSN?)

i'll be back for more. BTW Remix mode with the black courts is pretty rad. ;D

Tim Static

Adminerator
also I hate last second shots. First off, they should let the ball rattle around a little, as some shots in game are good that dont go in at first. Also, if the ball is shot BEFORE time runs out, it needs to let whatever happens, happen. Made shot or not.

sorry, little shit bugs me. haha

Skillz

Noob
Seems that they could do more with this game. That's a real shame. I'll still be picking this game up this week for PS3 tough, spended too much time in the arcade and on SNES with this game, to deny it.

FlyMike

-----
Game is solid remake imo. Only gripes I have is speed in slower, harder to get back on defense once someone passes you, but at the same time this punishes whiffing shoves and swipes. I too, hate that on last second shots if you don't swish it, then you don't get a chance to see the ball hit the rim. And of course, the online server isn't the best. Hard to get matches most times, but even more than that, it seriously needs a lobby. It's stupid that you have to guess which mode among many, that someone is playing in.

Other than that and no Penny Hardaway or Shawn Kemp, I love the game.

I just got this game in the mail, and I've replayed the first quarter about ten thousand times now and still haven't been able to come out victorious. As an owner of both NBA Jam Tournament Edition and NBA Showtime, this game has to be the worst in the series.

My biggest gripe is not being able to control my partner. You at least had settings for that in the originals, this doesn't seem to even give you the option. Your teammate could literally cost you the entire match and right now that's all they seem to be doing. This game is more entertaining to watch than to play, as the people watching are most likely to get a kick out of you screaming at the CPU to block and steal while it just sits there doing nothing. They might as well have shipped a magic 8-ball painted like a basketball that turning over tells you whether you won or not. It's like the object of the game is to pray your partner does something useful.

I really hope Turmell's involvement was seriously limited, because that would explain it but if it wasn't then let it go down in history that not even the man himself could save this game.

I am digging it - but Terry I understand your frustrations. I was losing right off the bat and it was pissing me off from the years of playing in the arcade - their hard setting is pretty cheap. Medium is meant for fun gameplay in my opinion. But they need some option between their medium and hard settings.

Yeah I was surprised they didn't include Kemp or where is Dikembe Mutombo? I'm not used to controlling fully controlling the teammate since that is how the arcade was - mainly just call for shots or passes with them. So far I've beat the classic campaign and a few of the Remix modes - online is not great I've only been able to find one match - any of you on PS3 add me ( xMichalex ) so we can play :)

Terry did you get your copy from the EA Store and their 50% off sale the other day for like 2 hours, I did too and got mine in the mail yesterday. I had it from Gamefly last week though.

Nah I got mine from Toys'R'Us with a copy of Brotherhood cause they had a 50% off deal too. I didn't know if NBA Jam would be worth the $50 bucks knowing how EA works so I used it with that.

On a side note though Remix mode is pretty fun. Domination is great, Smash is tough. Just classic is buggin me right now cause of the CPU thing. And yeah you can control your teammate to a degree, just not like the arcade could... and sometimes it can make or break the game depending on whatever they feel like doing.

I was going to pick this one up long time ago but, meh.. I loved playing it on my SEGA ages ago. But right now I still own games that I haven't passed, lol. Then we have more serious games coming out soon, Mortal Kombat 9, Dead Space2 and Silent Hill 9. NBA jam I played it before so I know i'm not missing out on much besides the HD and a few extras. At first I thought it would be a classic DLC like what they did to MKII on the PS3 or UMK3 XBOX360 for a few measly bucks. NBAJ can wait.. :)

Playing it a little bit more, it doesn't seem to be as bad as I originally thought... though it is still kinda bad. It can be fun, again Remix mode surprisingly feels like a new NBA Jam should feel. But the problem is in the controls - in the originals if you wanted your CPU teammate to shoot, you'd press your shoot button for instance. It was a simple, easy to remember control scheme that often led me to victory. That button now is completely different. The only button that works the way it's supposed to from what I can remember playing a little while ago is the pass button, which works the same for both players.

Unless I'm just retarded and don't remember the original controls correctly.

Edit- Oh that and 3 point shots. I was an ACE at 3 pointers in Jam, but the engine works different now:

Before: Shoot at the apex of your jump for best accuracy
After: Release early for longer distance, release late for shorter?

I'll play it again in a bit to confirm.

I got this game off of GameFly a few weeks back. Not a bad nostalgia trip with a few worthwhile additions thrown in for good measure (a game mode variant where the winning condition is NOT points but rather which teams busts the glass out of the backboard first, "boss" fights in the Remix tour). Sadly, I couldn't round up any interest in the title amongst my gaming friends and very few are playing this online (at least the PS3 edition). All in all, it's fairly evident this was a quick Wii-port job that would have been better suited for XBLA/PSN download.

The disc release only happened after the debacle that was NBA Elite 2011 forcing EA to scramble for a holiday b-ball release.

Rain.Dog505 said:
P.S.--Why do we not have a NBA JAM TE ladder on this site? I doubt I'm the only one who loved the original game.
Why don't you create one? I don't have the game btw but maybe others will participate.

Oh my gosh everything started to get better until the Boss Battle with Shaq.

If the ball is loose and he's a mile away, he'll grab it before you do.
If by some chance you get the ball and try to dunk it, if he's a mile behind you, he'll block you.
If you have the ball and he knocks you down, you have zero chance to recover - the ball is gone.
If you knock him down, his recovery time is about a half a second compared to the three weeks it takes for you to get up.

Holy freakin Jesus, rage in every sense of the word.

Edit- I want to elaborate on this a little bit. I don't know if this is a bug or what, but if a player blocks your shot and the ball goes behind you, the player - who is in front of you - can and usually will grab the ball. Obviously the laws of physics don't apply to NBA Jam, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't put you at a total disadvantage. And with Shaq it's like you're asking to get your ass handed to you.

Tim Static

Adminerator
NBA JAM 2010 is only "great" when you are playing 2v2. Otherwise its a cool throwback that makes you wanna break shit. the ai is arcade like lol

One other thing I wanted to put on record is, what I think is anyway, a bug where the CPU teammates almost instantaneously pass the ball right back to you. You pass it to him cause you're about to get pushed, he passes it right back and the ball is loose. This has happened to me about 2 bajillion times now. Then there are times where you call him to pass it and he just sits there, waits for you to finish dunking, and then passes it which of course goes right into the hands of the other team (This was on hard too, I thought it was on insane and it wasn't which makes me think it happens across all difficulties).

I am actually enjoying the game though. I think the controls just threw me for a loop. I still don't get why they changed things up like that... it's like they added an extra button for no reason.

It really is. I actually just wanted to come back and say this because I felt like I bashed it way harder than it deserved. It's different, but it's just as fun as the classic games. I judged it way too quickly, and thought it was just going to be the same exact game in HD and it's not... they moved some stuff around and there are absolutely those "bullsh*t!" moments, but the stuff I mentioned in my last post seems like it was patched and now I can't put it down. Between this and the MK demo that IMO was so well done and over-delivered, my PS3 is starting to look like an unreleased Midway console and all is right with the world. Bring on April 19th! :D