What's new

My transition from pad to stick

aj1701

Noob
So a while ago I ordered an AIAB arcade stick. It finally arrived yesterday. Its not a custom job, just a standard one you can buy. I'm going to post here with my observations, problems and impressions while trying to learn to play on this thing. Until know I've been using the stock dual shock PS3 wireless controller (to play online, no less).

The stick is a Sanwa JFL square gate, with Happ Convex buttons, in an MK layout. One thing to note is that the L1 and L2 buttons aren't included. On the left side of the box, you have Select and the PS button, on the right is Start. For those of you considering buying from AIAB, know that you can't get the MK layout with Sanwa buttons, which is what I originally ordered. Also plan to be patient, it was about six weeks from order to delivey.

First impressions

Its very well built. The 10' cord is enough to reach from my PS3 to my couch... but just enough. For those ordering a 360 or hybrid version, you'd probably want to get the optional extension cable so the standard is 6' for those.

I immediately noticed a difference playing. Its so much easier to do things like JK~fan or JK~Sai throw. Button pushes respond immediately. The stick itself is very sensitive. I read that the Happ is a better choice for beginners like me after I had already ordered, of course. It seems that the Sanwa is of better quality though, which is why I went with it.

Of course moving the stick is taking some getting used to, but not as much as I though. It didn't take long before I was doing fan tosses and square boost. For some reason, it took me a bit more time to get things like dash and fan lift, but not much longer. Also, it seems as though for df or db type moves, you can go directly to the diagonal and hit the button and the move comes out. I was doing it pretty consistently to throw out shadows using Noob. Mileenas ball roll it seems can't be done like that though.

As stated earlier, the buttons are really snappy. The only problem I'm having to adjust is hitting 4. Seems a bit awkward, but I'm sure its just because I'm not used to it, and I haven't found the ideal position of my hand yet. I'm really liking them though. I had to assign the tag button to the run button location (R2) as this is the only thing you need to use an extra button for. Throwing can be down with 1+3, Xray is 3+4+BLK, and switch stance is 3+4. So if you want tag, you'll need to use another button config.

So overall I'm very happy with it. I'm hoping I learn quickly though, as my game is definatly down as I relearn how to play. I'll post a follow up in this thread everyone once in a while, I hope this will help others considering making the switch!

Dark_Rob

Noob
A few tips from someone who has been playing on the MK layout for years.

1. Hand positioning. Center your 3 main fingers over the buttons like this.
Index finger over 1 and 3
Middle finger dedicated to the block button.
ring finger over 2 and 4

2. Map throw to the run button and use your thumb on it to throw. A single button throw works better than using 1+3

aj1701

Noob
A few tips from someone who has been playing on the MK layout for years.

1. Hand positioning. Center your 3 main fingers over the buttons like this.
Index finger over 1 and 3
Middle finger dedicated to the block button.
ring finger over 2 and 4

2. Map throw to the run button and use your thumb on it to throw. A single button throw works better than using 1+3
Hey Rob, thanks for the tips. So do you slide your hand up and down to hit 1 vs 3? What I'm getting at is how do you hit 1 without also mashing 3? Also, if I map throw to run, you can't do tag assists / tag attacks. I forgot to mention though this configuration is saved as config 2, so I can use config 1 for the normal case where I'm not playing tag.

EDIT:

Thanks Rob, I was able to try that and it works better. Just need to work on speed an accuracy now!

aj1701

Noob
Thought I'd post an update to this.

I had gone through a few ladder matches, messed up alot but still won. Would get my ass handed to me online. So I decided to go through the challenge tower again. Up in the 260s I believe.

Think I'm definately improving. The finger positioning Rob suggested was really awkward at first, my game got even worse initially. But it didn't take too long to get used to it, and I think I got it down fairly well after only play a few hours for a couple of days. I very rarely fat finger the 2 & 4, but its just that I'm not used to using that finger for gaming, and it almost never happens anymore.

The main problem with the buttons is getting the xray off; I find its difficult to do without moving my hand down, and of course that means I'm slower throwing it out. But if I don't, I often don't get it. I think this will improve in time though.

As for the stick, it took a while but I'm learning to be more accurate with the movement of it. I tried to hold it initially like BehindTheLight showed in his videos, but I just couldn't get it going fast enough. So I just make a fist around it. I think its loosened up some since I first got it too, so that makes it a bit easier.

I think its been worth the time and effort so far. I was worried I'd be even less accurate than with a pad, but being forced to slow down and think has helped alot. I'm not button mashing anymore, and I'm really trying to make every movement count. I hope by next week to finish the tower and try some online again.

I really feel like this is making me a better player in the end.

JrK

Probably Drunk
My issues with it is hitting up too easily. I'll be doing a df move and just jump in the air. :<

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
My issues with it is hitting up too easily. I'll be doing a df move and just jump in the air. :<
I'm having a similar problem learning stick: I have a tendency to hit down when I don't want to. When dashing left, I sometimes find the corner of the gate, resulting in accidental teabagging.

I'm having a similar problem learning stick: I have a tendency to hit down when I don't want to. When dashing left, I sometimes find the corner of the gate, resulting in accidental teabagging.
lol, i find that funny. What do you think your opponent is thinking while your teabaggin in the middle of match LOL. Anyways, the best way to get comfortable with the stick is to go into practice first and run drills before you get online. My usually sessions are like this

10 minutes dash back and forth arcoss the stage
5 minutes block dashing
10 minutes on each bnb combo
10 minutes on x-ray combos
(if any) 10 minutes on resets

Then I'll either set the cpu to expert and see which combos I can pull off accurately and then go back and redo the drills on what I need to improve. Going online helps afterwards to because your getting some real feedback rather then the computer just recognizing what your doing and trying to counter.

The times aren't literal, but i can honestly say i spend more time on each when using a TE stick. Seriously though, just practice going back and forth on the stick and nothing else for a little bit. It goes along way plus will help out in other fight games you play.

aj1701

Noob
2+4 is tag
I'll give that a try. Didn't see it documented anywhere. In the tutorial, they mention that throw can be done with R2 or 1+3. The only thing they didn't do that for was tag which only showed as L2. Thanks for the tip!

Lol. I think its just something more practice / use will reduce. Sticks seem to really force you to become more accurate

EDIT:

I completed the challenge tower today! Also in practice mode I've gotten my Kitana BnB a few times (F2,1 B2~Air Fan, ff~ground fan, ff, 2~cutter). Not at all consistent, I'm hoping just more practice. I still sometimes don't get the air fan to come out, or if I do I'll mess up the dash fan.

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
I get neutral jumps when I go for forward/back jumps... my opponents must think I'm retarded or something, hopping up and down at halfscreen.

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
lol, i find that funny. What do you think your opponent is thinking while your teabaggin in the middle of match LOL.
I only remember twice when it was really noticeable. Once was in a KotH room against this really obnoxious dude who was non-stop trash talking everyone. I didn't mean to teabag him, but I also don't mind that I did. When he eventually beat me, he gave me the longest and fastest bagging of my life. The other time was offline against DetroitBalln313. He stopped mid-dash, set his controller in his lap, gave me the "WTF?" look and started laughing.

Since I modded my stick (check it out) I feel I've been more accurate; partially from practice and partially from the fact that my stick is much tighter and the movements I use are much smaller.

aj1701

Noob
So its been about a month, and I'm feeling really comfortable with the stick now. I'm getting my bnb fairly consistently, and I'm also doing another one much more often (kitana, JK~air fan, dash fan 2~cutter).

I even tried a pad today, and was really bad with it, lol.

I think its been really worth it. Some things are just so much harder on a pad due to the trigger buttons and only having your thumb for button pushing, as well as lots of accidental mashing. Also, the Sanwa stick forces you to be more accurate. I've gotten my bnbs off more consistently using the stick than I ever did with the pad.

My advice for others considering using a stick over a pad is definently try it, in my opinionyoull be better than you would with a pad. But if you have the option to try one first, really do so as a good stick is a few hundred. Also, there's nothing like playing MKAK: Mk2 on a stick, offline and with the volume up brings back some good memories for me anyway.

Never pick up the pad while you're learning; it will be discouraging at first, but keep at it. Don't go online for the first week at least; learning stick + lag will really make you salty. I found it helpful to go through the challenge tower a second time, then do the ladder as well (trying to get the hidden Jade fight, lol).

Finally, I orginally got the slim arcade version from AIAB because I wanted to be able to keep the controller on my lap to play, but it seems to work much better putting it on the coffee table in front of me. I just couldn't move as quickly with my arms further back.

So, that's my advice and take on it. Maybe it will work for somone else too, but everyone's diffeent. I hope this thread has been helpful for anyone else wondering if they should try.

Today I tried using for the first time my pdp MK TE FightStick. The only problem I see for now is the down-back,down-forward moves where I can't seem to pick up correctly. I tried doing them by pointing the stick diagonal instead of the whole move (down-back etc.) but didn't work most of the time. I guess it's just a matter of practice and nothing more. First impression on a stick? Awesome!!

aj1701

Noob
Today I tried using for the first time my pdp MK TE FightStick. The only problem I see for now is the down-back,down-forward moves where I can't seem to pick up correctly. I tried doing them by pointing the stick diagonal instead of the whole move (down-back etc.) but didn't work most of the time. I guess it's just a matter of practice and nothing more. First impression on a stick? Awesome!!
Ya, it takes some practice, but once you get the feel its pretty easy. I have more trouble with down right than down left for some reason though. You really want to feel the stick move along the edge, dont cut the movement short.

Do you have a square or octo gate? With a square gate its easy to feel the diagonals, as it feels like left right up down have a "bump" and the diagonals let the stick move further into them. Not sure how an octo gate feels though.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I personally can't use a stick to play MK. I see better results with a controller, which is odd because I use a stick for other games such as Tekken.