What's new

My Early Aftermath Critique

So after playing for a couple of hours here's what I think:

Positives:

• Abandoned Arcade Stage: No more turning off the music to have something decent playing and ultra busy backgrounds that make it hard to focus on what's going on on screen. This stage is fucking perfect with classic stages and music
  • New story mode I guess? I haven't played it yet and will force myself through it eventually, but that's kind of a first for fighting games, that they expand the story later I think. I don't play fighting games for the story and I haven't found one yet where I didn't find it cringey and weird and that includes all the NRS story modes that are highly praised by most other people. Dunno I just prefer watching some cheesy Kung Fu flick over this kinda stuff.
Negatives:

• Armor Breakers: Breakaway being a universal mechanic that in a lot of instances punishes the attacker for landing a combo isn't fixed by this at all. Some characters have armor breaker not available in certain variations, some have 2 some have them in all variations but they don't combo on fast breakaway in any situation not even d2 kb like Scorpion's for example, others have armor breakers only available in their worst variation. I feel so far that this is incredibly half-baked and all it does is bumping up characters who have a good armor breaker in their good variation a bit on the tier list.
  • Online Fixes: Ok there's no WIFI and ping filters and no fixes to the search algorithm? I feel there's a massive disconnect between the dev team and what people who play online ranked and casuals want. Yeah I don't want godlike netcode invalidated by all the WIFI people I'm forced to play, and I don't want hit the "no" prompt 12 times in a row while looking for a casual match because I keep getting matched with people of 150+ ping and WIFI connections. Also for having GGPO it feels like watching grass grow waiting for a match. The search times are insanely long and come up with poor matches most of the time.
All in all this doesn't feel like an expansion at all compared to other fighting games. Super Street Fighter 4, recent SFV seasons and even MKXL felt like substantial overhauls and upgrades to existing games, while Aftermath seems to be like a new story mode and 3 characters for 40 bucks and a balance patch that's toothless and completely out of touch with any community input.

I think this shit sucks. What are your hot takes?

Last edited:

Gaxkang

Banned
It's still the sucky fighting game with a bad fighting system that was not meant for any online fighting either. The armor breaking stuff is largely irrelevant to me in light of the issues the game always had anyways. Not gonna an be overhaul.

So my hot take would be Aftermath is a nice package of spectacle for single player or offline vs. but what it was missing is a Krypt expansion of some kind. For something. Would have made a nice additional bullet point. Or maybe a Test Your Might with varying difficulties.

The Music in most of the new stages actually sounds pretty good. Soul chamber is my favorite...it's a remix of MK2 main theme.

ScreamQueen

Rockin' Sindel since '95
MK 11 has an abominable soundtrack. RetroKade and the new stages are a massive improvement to the sound design. But damn, the music in this game is SO dull, easily the most "un-hype" in the series. That title screen, character select, the Fataility fanfare, and post victory screen score... snooze.

I like the new characters and stages, No Wi-Fi filter is baffling. At this point it HAS to be a conscious decision not to include one, for whatever agenda.

I like Aftermath overall, I still think itsat least 10 bucks too much.

I know why they're not doing a WIFI filter or at least I suspect why they don't do it.

My guess is they have collected data and concluded that like 80 or 90 percent of the player base uses WIFI, so in order to not alienate them, they'll hold off the WIFI filter until the final version of the game is released and none of the casuals are playing anymore, so the competitive players think to themselves "Oh damn NRS is the best and finally included a WIFI filter, let's buy the next game" while all those WIFI assholes can keep doing what they're doing.

Gaxkang

Banned
I know why they're not doing a WIFI filter or at least I suspect why they don't do it.

My guess is they have collected data and concluded that like 80 or 90 percent of the player base uses WIFI, so in order to not alienate them, they'll hold off the WIFI filter until the final version of the game is released and none of the casuals are playing anymore, so the competitive players think to themselves "Oh damn NRS is the best and finally included a WIFI filter, let's buy the next game" while all those WIFI assholes can keep doing what they're doing.
Well sure PS4 has a lot of Wifi, even PC has a of Wifi.

But I doubt they will add the filter even at the end of its lifespan...they will consider letting you see Wifi as good enough. And at the end of day would probably still say low ping Wifi is basically like low ping wired when it comes to their game.

And pssst...the final version of the game will be primed for some more people to buy the game, so there's that anyways. ;)

DeftMonk

Noob
MK 11 has an abominable soundtrack. RetroKade and the new stages are a massive improvement to the sound design. But damn, the music in this game is SO dull, easily the most "un-hype" in the series. That title screen, character select, the Fataility fanfare, and post victory screen score... snooze.

I like the new characters and stages, No Wi-Fi filter is baffling. At this point it HAS to be a conscious decision not to include one, for whatever agenda.

I like Aftermath overall, I still think itsat least 10 bucks too much.
side note this is my first time in life seeing the word abominable describe anything other than a snowman.

Jbog

Noob
I reloaded this game only to find out it still the same bs game with the same first day drop flaws that have plagued it from the first day. Its sad this game could be sweet but stubborn developers are now bowing their necks to player critics and giving the we know best. Which shows they don't know shit about their own gam when broke systems from day 1 still exist a year later

Jbog

Noob
mk9 had fun factor mkx as well this game is poke grab retarded unbalanced crushing blow fatal blow bs! Sad part is al a ays will be. And probably the game that finally kills mk series