What's new

Strategy - Buzz Saw My Buzzsaw Strategy

Jeremy vega

Kung Lao is the GOAT
This is for my personal use. Looking for constructive criticism on the strategy I implement with KL Buzzsaw Variation. Hopefully I can help someone out and vice versa. My win % hovers around 80% but I can definitely improve.

Match Start :
- Depending on the character my opponent selects, I'm trying to anitcipate what he's going to do.

- Ex : Kung Jin is probably going to Njp so I'm automatically thinking of 1 - 3 possible options.
1. Backdash
2. Anti air hat throw (Df2)
3. F4 if I'm feeling frisky.

- The options I typically consider are those, along with d3 for its range, get first hit, back dash, setup.

Neutral Game :
- In the neutral game d1 and d4 are my go to low pokes.

- 11 I use often as well as b12, picking and choosing when to cancel into low hat. It's player dependant.

- For mixups the hat games never get old. B2, low hat or B22, low hat really throws most people off and the low hat is safe on block.

- If low hat hits I whip out the BnB string, b321. On hit confirm I'm doing
b321, EX hat throw, run cancel b321, spin, Combo ender dependant on situation.
On block I'm throwing out low hat.

Midrange - Footsies Game :
- This, imo is Kung Laos best position in this variation.

- F2 strings are my go to in this position. It's his fastest advancing poke that leads to the following and is hit confirmable

F21, low hat mixup option.
f23, low hat mixup option or
f23, hit confirm spin, b321, EX hat throw, run cancel b321 spin OR F14.

- Making reads on when to use my hat is pivotal. The forgotten weapon most KL players never use is his anti air hat throw (df2). This was recently added to my game and it pays dividends.

- in my mind it's a MUST to make my opponent respect that option. I don't like people jumping in on me unannounced that's rude. So I hit em with it once or twice, maybe throw it full screen on occasion to let em know it's there but more on that position later.

- f4 is In the back of my mind just in case the opening comes for the hard knockdown and I'm feeling a little frisky.

- what I'm not thinking about is DIVE KICK. Too unsafe and I've paid for it many times. Use this very wisely. With the tools you have it shouldn't be necessary.

NOTE : b321 is viable in this position but F2 is quicker so I mix between the two. Leaning towards F2 for timing purposes.

Full Screen :
- ZONE.

- I'm throwing low hats in a strategic manner. We'll timed, based off his movements and my reads.

- EX df2 is a great option to throw someone off because it goes up then back down and once again make him respect that option and never want to jump again.

- Teleport is always an option. ALWAYS. But I have to be wise because a smart opponent knows that.

- off a Teleport I prefer to go for the grab (1) or the pop up overhead (2).
Off the pop up I convert to

Tele 2, b321 EX hat, b321 or F14. For online purposes. There's a bigger conversion but that's my preference.

- If I want to start my rushdown, (usually when I see my opponent has no bar), I'll EX low hat to cause pressure. Coming in with either f4 for the over head or ji3.

Note : There's no shame in zoning. It's strategic, builds meter and allows patience.

Rushdown :
- Also where the money is made with him. He has great run speed and because of his low hat the pressure can be nuts at times.

- b321 is my go to string for pressure. It's advancing, leads to BnBs and could cancel into low hat. + it's already safe for most things.

- b2 strings are coming often for the mixup, pushing him farther into the corner.

- EX Spin is your bestfriend when applying pressure, after the opponent catches on to my strings. After conditioning my opponent into attacking after low hat, the constant pressure comes from timing my EX spin right as they attack.

- After EX spin I convert for 24% damage with
EX Spin, nj2, ji3 dive kick, 21 for the the corners carry.

NOTE : I selectively rushdown throughout matches, dependant on my opponents wake ups and bar situation.

Corner Game :
- Once I have my opponent in the corner, my main priority is keeping him there. I try not to go nuts and get messy.

- applying strategic pressure, remaining cautious of armor and his wake ups.

- I'll try to time a df2 occasionally if the read comes up, once again reminding him not to jump.

- Applying pressure with b321 strings, b2 strings and poking / baiting with F2 strings.

- EX hat throw for the setup so he can't escape. All character dependant.

NOTE : I didn't put any corner BnBs because there are too many options and plenty of post concerning that.

Wake up game:
- EX Spin is always a viable option. Most players know this so I time these wisely.

- Because most players are expecting the spin you can often get your opponent with a wake up grab.

- Delayed wake up in this game is super useful, use. Depending on what I see I'll either grab, Block or EX Spin.

I think that pretty much covers things, I'm sure there's things I'm forgetting but what do you guys think? Any pointers? And hopefully some players benefit from this.

Last edited:

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Tele 2, b321 EX hat, b321 or F14. For online purposes. There's a bigger conversion but that's my preference.
This is the only real part I disagree with. KL already gets big damage on Tele 2, so imo his meter should be saved on breakers or hat setups.

Other than that, great breakdown. Definitely recommended for anyone looking to pick up Lao.