What's new

Mr Nutpunch!

Is Johnny Cage really the best rush down beat 'em up character in the game? Im looking for my second main and have been playing with JC a lot lately, getting in a bunch of wins off of pokes, block strings, and simple moves instead of crazy combos. I was going to pick up Cyber Sub but that annoying bomb throw always screws me up when I try to pressure opponents.

Thanks in advance!

King

Sig Maker
Is Johnny Cage really the best rush down beat 'em up character in the game? Im looking for my second main and have been playing with JC a lot lately, getting in a bunch of wins off of pokes, block strings, and simple moves instead of crazy combos. I was going to pick up Cyber Sub but that annoying bomb throw always screws me up when I try to pressure opponents.

Thanks in advance!
Yes. Cage is the best rushdown character in the game with the best frame traps and pressure. His normals all pretty much leave him either at advantage or neutral and his Nut Punch gives you like 30 frames of advantage lol.

Im enjoying him. Ive been at it for a week and have yet to pull off a combo online/offline. Most of my wins come from pressure and that beast of a En. Shadow Kick move.

Do all off his combos really consist of dash,2,dash,2,1,dash,4,4? and his corner combos all the same 2,2,2,2,2 thing? Not complaining, just wondering if this is all I need to learn or is there some new stuff that hasnt been updated yet?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Do all off his combos really consist of dash,2,dash,2,1,dash,4,4? and his corner combos all the same 2,2,2,2,2 thing? Not complaining, just wondering if this is all I need to learn or is there some new stuff that hasnt been updated yet?
Yep, that's what his combos consist of. You want to keep that constant advantage and be in their face, even with EX shadow kick, you take damage from the projectile to get back in. His easiest corner combos are 21F2/B3/F4, B3, 222, 44 nut punch. JC is the definition of rushdown in this game.

GNG Iniquity

and more question for the evening..

Am I to assume you have to buffer every nut punch to use it at the end of a combo string?
Well, you want to make sure that the string connects first, for instance if they're getting hit by 21 then yes immediately do a nut punch after the second hit of the string; it'll chain into a combo. 11, 44, 21, F3, F3 2, F3 33. Do not use a nut punch if they're blocking though, they can punish you on a blocked nut punch, if they block you can either throw or continue with the variations. You want to throw in some D1s and D4s in there occasionally as well for the traps. F4 is safe to put in the rotation on occasion, as well. Only use B3 to punish jump ins and in the wall combos.

11, 44, 21, F3, F3 2, F3 33

What is this supposed to be? Moves I should nut punch after or...

After 1,1 the throw whiffs a lot, any particular reason for this?

I forgot to add..

This is going to be my online main. I use Scorpion but for the life of me I cant do anything with him online. lol

So is there any tips/tricks for online JC?

leek

Noob
LOL online cage is impossible to beat.

Get the first hit and go into traps with nut punch and F+33/F+32 EX low forceball = win game

Don't let them get out, don't use ex shadow kick unless you know it will hit, it's blocked online often.

online exaggerates the frame traps and advantage on block for cage so it makes it super easy once you get in.

leek

Noob
11, 44, 21, F3, F3 2, F3 33

What is this supposed to be? Moves I should nut punch after or...

After 1,1 the throw whiffs a lot, any particular reason for this?
He has to be blocking. In MK9, you cannot throw if the opponent is in a stagger state.

So if you press 11 and he blocks both hits, THEN you throw.

GNG Iniquity

LOL online cage is impossible to beat.

Get the first hit and go into traps with nut punch and F+33/F+32 EX low forceball = win game

Don't let them get out, don't use ex shadow kick unless you know it will hit, it's blocked online often.

online exaggerates the frame traps and advantage on block for cage so it makes it super easy once you get in.
Yeah, I've actually been noticing this more; I kind of have to shut my brain off to play Cage online and just mash away with some variation. Seems like half the people online just get trapped in the F3 3s infinitely though; which is pretty rage inducing I'm sure.

Asodimazze said:
Nah, it doesn't...Cage isn't OP online, the problem is that 80% of the opponents don't know what to do to escape his pressure.
I have to 100% agree with you there, hell most people online don't even know what a mid is. JC really has caught on in popularity as of late though, so I guess they'll figure it out eventually.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Yeah, I've just been mashing the fuck out of the strings these past 30 or so games, it works online...it shouldn't work quite to this degree. But it does.
Nah, it doesn't...Cage isn't OP online, the problem is that 80% of the opponents don't know what to do to escape his pressure.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Just saying now, Cages frametraps are harder to do perfectly online, which means the openings are way bigger. He just has something about him that makes people scared to press a button

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Just saying now, Cages frametraps are harder to do perfectly online, which means the openings are way bigger. He just has something about him that makes people scared to press a button
Its like playing a big name. they know what the person is capable of and they don't think they can win.

I have the same bad habit. I get locked down... I know i can poke out... but i freeze. It is really as simple as that.

When does the novelty of nut punch wear off?

Played about 5 hours worth of 2p tag tonight and I couldnt help but nut punch people every chance I got. I know I shouldnt have done this and it cost my cousin and I a bunch of games, but I laugh every time I land one. Even made one guy quit because he refused to press block after three nut punches in a row.

I love this game, MK shall never die!

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Cage might have the ability to apply pressure but damn its hard to get out of pressure.

Cage mirror matches are coming up more and more frequently now.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Cage might have the ability to apply pressure but damn its hard to get out of pressure.

Cage mirror matches are coming up more and more frequently now.
Name of this game really. Cage has the best tools to beat cage..... seriously. Learn to block low and poke. His overheads are SOOOOOOO slow.
I've mixed cage in with my subzero to learn how other players escape his pressure. Sometimes the best way to learn is seeing a better player escape. Am I rite? :)

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Name of this game really. Cage has the best tools to beat cage..... seriously. Learn to block low and poke. His overheads are SOOOOOOO slow.
I've mixed cage in with my subzero to learn how other players escape his pressure. Sometimes the best way to learn is seeing a better player escape. Am I rite? :)
What you just said is exactly what you should want them to do, you try to make them poke so that you can catch them with a f3

Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

1. Ive been using 1,2 - 4,4 off a JIP. The 1,2 knocks them back on block and so they think they are safe but 4,4 usually catches them.
2. Sometimes Ill dash forward and throw out an En. Nut punch. Catches people off guard every now and then.
3. Ive been trying to build my reaction skills for cross over JIPs. Ive had mild success with nut punching them as they keep jumping over trying to pressure me.

If anyone has a high level JC, could you tell me if these are viable tricks or just online shenanigans?