What's new

Mortal Kombat Zero

• Thread starter Deleted member 66057
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 66057

Based on the outcome of aftermath, it’s safe to say the direction of a future Mortal Kombat title would feature a setting significantly further into the past than we’ve explored before.

My question is:

How would everyone feel about roster that features an almost entirely new cast with obvious inclusion like FG Liu Kang, Great Kung Lao, maybe Onaga?

I think that would be a great opportunity to have a kind of one off experiment game where there’s no legacy to worry about for the most part and a real opportunity to expand the lore without retreading old ground like we’ve seen with this trilogy. I think there’s a hyper awareness of the divisive reception to MK 11’s gameplay so I’d assume it would stray away from that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Art Lean

Noob
With all due respect to the team, I don't think they have it in them to be able to create a new roster from scratch and make most the new characters in any way appealing or memorable.

There's only a handful since MK4 (a whopping 24 years ago) that have really been considered good enough to return since then and embraced by the fans. I fear we'd end up with a game full of Kobras, Kiras and Jareks if they had to design a whole new roster. I'm not against the idea, just think the result would likely be pretty weak.

But to feel fresh whilst also familiar, I'd honestly welcome the cast the Mortal Kombat Conquest being put into the game if set back then :D

D

Deleted member 66057

What characters could you see returning in a way that makes sense in era with the Great Kung Lao. They were able to to it in about 2 years with the first injustice game. Granted they’d literally be starting from scratch, but if they go the route of characters like Kotal, Erron, Dvorah, Takeda, thats the right direction.

I just remember when scorpion wasn’t in Mortal Kombat and everyone rioted . I can just imagine all of the casuals saying wtf is this when we look at the roster and one Of the characters is Kano‘ great grandma.

It would certainly be interesting to see the lore of that era expanded, and seeing new characters is always fun. That being said, just because a character is not in the story mode does not mean that the character can not be included in the roster. Personally, as far as a story mode goes; I would prefer if MK went in the direction of GG Xrd where the story mode is essentially a movie that you watch, because I’m not really interested in fighting bots. I understand that’s not going to sell to a casual market, though.

It is a fighting game after all. I think the main focus should be the PvP. It is always a shame for character loyalists if their character is not present. I love Geras as a new character and would like to see him in future games. I don’t care if he is not in the story mode that I will play through once, I want to use him in versus. Same goes for other characters that I enjoy like Baraka, Skarlet, Ferra/Tor, etc.

D

Deleted member 66057

I would love it, although I'm a lot less invested in MK lore and the characters than most.
Yeah it seems like the nrs guys have a bit fatigue. This could be really new and exciting.

OutWorldAleMerchant

Hotaru's Number One Fan
I'd love to see how Earthrealm warriors of previous centuries were able to deal with Outworld invaders. Like, an actual knight character would kind of be interesting if they pulled it off well, not gonna lie. I can see the appeal of it.

D

Deleted member 66057

I'd love to see how Earthrealm warriors of previous centuries were able to deal with Outworld invaders. Like, an actual knight character would kind of be interesting if they pulled it off well, not gonna lie. I can see the appeal of it.
Right ! Shaolin monks, knights, etc. I don’t know if they’d have the juevos to take that big of a risk, but I think that would such a neat idea.

Komatose

The Prettiest
That idea isn’t half bad. I would actually welcome that. The only character in the series I am attached to is Skarlet and the way they butchered her in every way possible in MK11, I don’t mind if she stays or goes.

So I’m super down for that. Most new characters between MKX and MK11 were well-received so it would be no different in the sense of a new roster I would imagine. And like you said, the way the story is going, it would make sense as well, whether they go more into the past or more into the future. Anything is possible.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I don’t think it would be changed that much as Kitana, Jade, Tanya, Goro, Quan Chi, Sindel, Raiden, Rain, Reptile, Reiko & Bo Rai Cho could be in it just to name a bunch.

In Deception, they had an ancestor of Sub-Zero train Shujinko so they could have a Cryomancer in it as well & they could have an ancestor of Scorpion too. Both were in Mortal Kombat: Conquest.

Speaking of Mortal Kombat: Conquest which was a TV show about The Great Kung Lao that lasted for 22 episodes because it was so expensive. They had a lot of great characters like Taja, Omegis, Jen Reyland, Peron, Qali, Vorpax, Siro, Siann, Mya, Mika, Sora & a lot of other badass characters that NRS could use for a prequel.

Last edited:

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Considering the quality of writing in MK9-MK11, I don't even know what I want.

Although I'd bet money that we're going back in time with MK12, I'd honestly rather see them continue forward and explore other parts of the MK Universe. I would like to see more denizens of the other realms, and learn more about their history, culture, and warriors. I think it'd be fun if the next game featured a tournament between 2 realms that weren't Earthrealm and Outworld. I actually think Deception and, to a lesser extent, Armageddon set up a pretty nice empty world for stories to be told in.

I really don't want to see the myths brought into focus. I'd rather imagine what the Great Kung Lao was like and the other tournaments instead of some unoriginal writer plugging his fan fiction into the canon. Leave the lore that Tobias created as alone as possible, and expand outwards. I don't like it when long-running franchises feel the need to dig into their past for new content instead taking on the difficult task of creating something risky, new, and exciting. MK11 was nostalgia fan service city, so let's put that behind us and venture into some uncharted territory in the underexplored corners of the universe.

Remember when everyone thought mk11 would all be about dark raiden based on how MKX ended? Same thing might happen in MK12. NRS likes to be unpredictable.

Remember when everyone thought mk11 would all be about dark raiden based on how MKX ended? Same thing might happen in MK12. NRS likes to be unpredictable.
They did the same with Mortal Kombat XL though. Everyone thought it would be the NetherRealm Ware, yet we saw that in only one Chapter and a few flashback sections.

Then we got the fantastic Outworld Civil War plot line, which I think is the best plot line of the modern trilogy, only for it to end all too briefly and then refocus on NetherRealm stuff.

In Mortal Kombat 11, we had a single Chapter of Dark Raiden doing his thing and being the aggressor (with NetherRealm), and then we got the Infinte Crisis-style story, which also wound back on itself with Raiden getting edgy again (but then he clues in about Kronika manipulating him and Liu).

The base outlines are rather formulaic.

smoke420

Noob
jade, kitana ,sindel, rain and mileena are edenian & possibly over 10,000 years old, so they would be in the roster.

shang, quan chi are old af, and with scorcery they would be in the timeline.

subz , scorpion, and nightwolf can have ancestors as well.

raiden , fujin, geras are timeless . so i think the roster could still be pretty cool.