What's new

Mortal Kombat X run feature coming back ... or something else?

Allow for gambled first hit?

• Total voters

Evildan

In Brightest Day!
Hey there Mortals ...

Just something that I came across when I believe on IGN they were reviewing the video and caching ideas on what to take from the video that has been released that has created mayhem among the community and increased levels of hype!

Just one component that I wanted to look at was at the start of the battle you see both Scorp n Subz run at each other and attack... Most people stated that this will be the re-introduction of the run button.

But what if its taking into account the one feature at the start of each match that everyone tries so hard to get and randomizes in a bit more of an even field. The first attack! That first bar to give you the edge in the fight.

I find that in both Injustice and MK 9 some characters really put on the pressure of getting the first hit while others can only defend and hope their opponent slips up to grab the first hit.

In the MK X announce video both characters run at each other and whoever I guess wins the Paper, Scissor, Rock hit wins the first bar. Everyone is on an even playing field to get the first strike here.

Basically they would use a system where the 4 attack buttons would counter one but be beaten by the other two; i.e. HP > LP but is beaten by HK and LK.

Tell me what you think about this idea?

GGA Max

I think that would be a hype way cinematically to start the fight.

However as a tournament player, its a guess, not skill, that would begin the momentum of the fight. I would not like it.

Evildan

In Brightest Day!
I think that would be a hype way cinematically to start the fight.

However as a tournament player, its a guess, not skill, that would begin the momentum of the fight. I would not like it.
I see your point there is that skill factor but I am finding in both MK 9 and Injustice there are those few characters that can guarantee to be on the offensive (e.g. MMH and pre-patch Superman with F23 for Injustice, In MK 9 its usually a low hit move or anti-air that's safe ... Kabal's low spikes comes to mind)

Inevitably its more of a gamble that we still make at the start of a match with most of the roster depending on your available moves.

Not a good idea
Any particular reason Eddy?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Any particular reason Eddy?
because i might not want to run straight at my oponnent to get or take the first hit. Their are characters that you're forced to move backwards at the first oportunity.

First hit is something you earn when oponnent makes a mistake, not a forced option you have to choose everytime the match starts.

Didn't you play ultimate tenkaichi? That system ruined the game and made it repetitive, this would force match starts to be repetitive, boring, and less stategical build up before the showdown.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I see your point there is that skill factor but I am finding in both MK 9 and Injustice there are those few characters that can guarantee to be on the offensive (e.g. MMH and pre-patch Superman with F23 for Injustice, In MK 9 its usually a low hit move or anti-air that's safe ... Kabal's low spikes comes to mind)
If a character has better options when both move at sametime, do not move first than him, capitalize your read and counter accordligly, so you get the 1st hit, i used to this all the time in mk9, injustice.

You can jump kabal saw on reaction, or even armor it.

Evildan

In Brightest Day!
because i might not want to run straight at my oponnent to get or take the first hit. Their are characters that you're forced to move backwards at the first oportunity.

First hit is something you earn when oponnent makes a mistake, not a forced option you have to choose everytime the match starts.

Didn't you play ultimate tenkaichi? That system ruined the game and made it repetitive, this would force match starts to be repetitive, boring, and less stategical build up before the showdown.
Fair response. I didn't play ultimate tenkaichi but I can understand that the first hit will become very repetitive after a while.

I would prefer the player controlled starts because it offers more strategy and it would be my choice if they didn't make it so damn one sided for the top tier characters.

I guess we will find out what happens at E3 :D

Evildan

In Brightest Day!
If a character has better options when both move at sametime, do not move first than him, capitalize your read and counter accordligly, so you get the 1st hit, i used to this all the time in mk9, injustice.

You can jump kabal saw on reaction, or even armor it.
If you don't make the first move you take the gamble that you will read them right and you can react correctly. This is still 50/50 but they have a higher chance on getting the first hit since they made the first assault while you are on defense.

Yeah I did that for a time but then I started to gamble against them and usually tricked them up with unsafe options that lead to rewards based on a gamble. Jumping up against a predicted low spike could be your gamble and then you may have an unsafe response that connects against you; i.e. dash. Anything can happen it all depends on how you well read your opponent.

Other times I do take the defensive side and block my opponent and apply my own pressure in return depending on the who you are up against. This is a far greater strategy play so long, as the options are there.

My major biff is that certain characters in both Injustice and MK have a far greater and safer advantage at the start of a match. If this can be balanced a bit better (which is easier said that done) then I am all for keeping it the way it is.

Though with the gamble option both character could start with the same button so the first hit is still to be decided.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If you don't make the first move you take the gamble that you will read them right and you can react correctly. This is still 50/50 but they have a higher chance on getting the first hit since they made the first assault while you are on defense.

Yeah I did that for a time but then I started to gamble against them and usually tricked them up with unsafe options that lead to rewards based on a gamble. Jumping up against a predicted low spike could be your gamble and then you may have an unsafe response that connects against you; i.e. dash. Anything can happen it all depends on how you well read your opponent.

Other times I do take the defensive side and block my opponent and apply my own pressure in return depending on the who you are up against. This is a far greater strategy play so long, as the options are there.

My major biff is that certain characters in both Injustice and MK have a far greater and safer advantage at the start of a match. If this can be balanced a bit better (which is easier said that done) then I am all for keeping it the way it is.

Though with the gamble option both character could start with the same button so the first hit is still to be decided.
I said jump on reaction, not on guess, you don't who am i right? I have won inumerals first hits against characters that clearly had better advantages at startup. This includes, kabal, sonya, jax, kenshi, cyrax, supermans, etc everyone has a exploitable weakness.

Evildan

In Brightest Day!
I said jump on reaction, not on guess, you don't who am i right?
I am more focused around the start of the battle ... jumping is usually the biggest gamble to take at the start of a match. During the match it becomes easier to read your opponent and jump on reaction. I'm not a pro at MK and I can say I am average at Injustice but I still can hold my game and surprise even my tougher opponents in Injustice.

Though the good thing in MK 9 is both players start with a bar to play with in Injustice you fight for the first bar :(

I know you're a prominent Skarlet player Eddy.

Don't want to get side tracked though I am just formulating ideas from the video which for all we know is just a marketing item.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I am more focused around the start of the battle ... jumping is usually the biggest gamble to take at the start of a match. During the match it becomes easier to read your opponent and jump on reaction. I'm not a pro at MK and I can say I am average at Injustice but I still can hold my game and surprise even my tougher opponents in Injustice.

Though the good thing in MK 9 is both players start with a bar to play with in Injustice you fight for the first bar :(

I know you're a prominent Skarlet player Eddy.

Don't want to get side tracked though I am just formulating ideas from the video which for all we know is just a marketing item.
Boika's voice: "Prominent? I'm the most complete Skarlet in the world.":DOGE

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I think it would be a cool way to start the fight. Maybe it doesn't do any damage but just gives you some frame advantage or something.

Evildan

In Brightest Day!
Boika's voice: "Prominent? I'm the most complete Skarlet in the world.":DOGE
Hahaha! Ok ok!

Right now I think the only thing I really want for Mortal Kombat X more than anything! No region locking and preference selection to region to play in. Being in Australia it does really suck to get matches aside from locals with friends, etc.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I would hate some sort of a guess mechanic that forces you to try to land or avoid a first hit. I want the option to walk away and to create space for my character if that benefits their play style.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Everyone wants to run to their opponents but then they bitch about their opponents running away. It's a fight not a race