What's new

Mortal Kombat X and it’s future with “patches”.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I didn't say all DLC is OP... or for you to main the garbage ones. Just the inevitable top tier one that MAYBE will get patched once.
They don't make them with the intention of being OP.

Lobo came in hot ass on a plate, and he is still hot ass on a plate.

I already know what to expect and honestly it is whatever. This time around, I am not going to try to tell ppl to not whine about something and etc., will just let them go wild lol. Whatever happens with MKX, I will just focus on playing it, getting better, and trying to help others level up in our community. That's all I need to worry about because I really can't control what gets patched so screw it.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I already know what to expect and honestly it is whatever. This time around, I am not going to try to tell ppl to not whine about something and etc., will just let them go wild lol. Whatever happens with MKX, I will just focus on playing it, getting better, and trying to help others level up in our community. That's all I need to worry about because I really can't control what gets patched so screw it.
Ehhh IDK man. If community leaders or well known players were to loudly speak their voice it might be heard.

It really sucks to think that the online scrub who crys about Kano will get a patch, but the EVO winner will just sit there and take it.

Hopefully there will be a longer time between patches and MUCH more exploration before the whining... maybe if the scrubs had someone to guide them...

They don't make them with the intention of being OP.

Lobo came in hot ass on a plate, and he is still hot ass on a plate.
Mid tier is "ass on a plate"?

People who cite Rain, Lobo, and Zatanna as a counterpoint to the idea that DLC characters are usually really good are missing the point IMO. There will always be a debate over prepatch scorpions original tierplacement, but in all likelyhood he was at the very least mid tier which means that when you add it all up if you main a dlc character you have a 50% chance or better at picking a top tier and at worst will wind up with a mid tier character assuming the community doesn't screw you over. Those are pretty good odds IMO.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Ehhh IDK man. If community leaders or well known players were to loudly speak their voice it might be heard.

It really sucks to think that the online scrub who crys about Kano will get a patch, but the EVO winner will just sit there and take it.

Hopefully there will be a longer time between patches and MUCH more exploration before the whining... maybe if the scrubs had someone to guide them...
I volunteer as tribute. I will guide the scrubs...... to FREEdom

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Just support it past a year and a half

that is all we want.

support it till the next game actually does release....... not when you start heavily developing it.

There is a clear eb and flow and it sucks.

I already have a plan in place to try and help ppl out the best way I can (will be a group thing). We'll see what happens tho but I plan to have fun instead of worrying what will get patched or not. Those who have had lots of success in our community in tournaments typically just do their thing for the most part and have success. They might say some things, but their number one focus is playing and getting better.

Flagg

Noob
Maybe if NRS didn't release games with a ton of broken stuff in the first place, that would help.

It's not just bad nerfs, it's ridiculous buffs. This mentality of coating an "bad/average" character in armour is just lazy.

Be good if they knew their frame data as well.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Mid tier is "ass on a plate"?

People who cite Rain, Lobo, and Zatanna as a counterpoint to the idea that DLC characters are usually really good are missing the point IMO. There will always be a debate over prepatch scorpions original tierplacement, but in all likelyhood he was at the very least mid tier which means that when you add it all up if you main a dlc character you have a 50% chance or better at picking a top tier and at worst will wind up with a mid tier character assuming the community doesn't screw you over. Those are pretty good odds IMO.
Ehh... Imo he is still ass on a plate. That's just from my potentially top-5 character perspective. :p

DLC have less time to be patched. Sometimes they come out awful (original Lobo WAS awful), sometimes they come out pretty darn good.
If you choose to main a DLC, you have the chance of getting a potentially top tier character, but you'll also have less time and experience.
I would rather become really good with a release character than play a DLC and end up with Rain... or new scorpion.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This can't work due to the release timing of the games: a game released in April is not ready for a major revamp by July.

You can patch out individual glitches and superbroken things (which was what they did with INJ and MK9) but what you aren't realizing is this:

A patch is not a one-day effort. Or a one-week effort. To properly do a major patch (like the October patch), takes months. First you need to analyze the gameplay, and see enough examples to know what needs to be done. You need to test individual cases thoroughly to make sure that people aren't complaining about something that actually has consistent/viable escapes or countermeasures. Once you make the initial decisions, you have to start to play around and figure out the following:

1) How much is too much/little
2) How does this affect the rest of the cast balance-wise
3) Do the changes we're making break other things in-engine; if so, how do we work around this

This means that the affected characters have to be tested extensively, and then matchups vs. the entire rest of the cast have to be run/analyzed extensively, and then QA also has to do their job to make sure that nothing engine-wise has broken or become wonky because of the patch changes.

Then you have to certify the patch, it has to pass that process and be ok'ed by MS/Sony, and be scheduled for release.

This means that to have a significant revamp in July, you'd have to START with the decisions for the entire revamp in April. Which, for obvious reasons, doesn't make any sense. A lot of things that are patched are things which were known issues for a while, but needed time to go through the proper patch process before the fix made it out to all the consoles.

So in short, based on the timing of NRS' major releases, you will never see something like the October Injustice patch in time for EVO -- and you shouldn't. This means that the original pre-release QA/testing/balancing period is of the utmost importance, and that's where emphasis should be placed.

Ehh... Imo he is still ass on a plate. That's just from my potentially top-5 character perspective. :p

DLC have less time to be patched. Sometimes they come out awful (original Lobo WAS awful), sometimes they come out pretty darn good.
If you choose to main a DLC, you have the chance of getting a potentially top tier character, but you'll also have less time and experience.
I would rather become really good with a release character than play a DLC and end up with Rain... or new scorpion.
So what if you have less time and experience? If they're top tier and you're a solid player you'll eventually get really good with them and be that much better.
I'm the kind of guy who will just main whatever character I like/have the most fun with but all I'm saying is that statistically based on prior entries your odds at having a top character are much much better if you pick a DLC character. Every DLC character but one was top tier in MK9...and the one who wasn't was midtier. Of the DLC cast in injustice half are top tier, and the sole low tier wouldn't be that way if not for the community outcry. Lobo may have been garbage on release but NRS still gave him some extremely solid buffs before patching stopped.
If I were a tier whore I'd take those odds in a heartbeat.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
So what if you have less time and experience? If they're top tier and you're a solid player you'll eventually get really good with them and be that much better.
I'm the kind of guy who will just main whatever character I like/have the most fun with but all I'm saying is that statistically based on prior entries your odds at having a top character are much much better if you pick a DLC character. Every DLC character but one was top tier in MK9...and the one who wasn't was midtier. Of the DLC cast in injustice half are top tier, and the sole low tier wouldn't be that way if not for the community outcry. Lobo may have been garbage on release but NRS still gave him some extremely solid buffs before patching stopped.
If I were a tier whore I'd take those odds in a heartbeat.
But you have to consider that even when DLC was released, until the real top tiers got nerfed to crap the other ones were eh.
Only Zod and MMH were in the top 5 discussion AFTER backdash adam and Superman were taken out behind the barn.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Location tests at majors would help limit the need of patches. Well, major ones. If it's feasible.

Just gotta make sure nobody steals the disc. Or else Juicebox will get you.

But you have to consider that even when DLC was released, until the real top tiers got nerfed to crap the other ones were eh.
Only Zod and MMH were in the top 5 discussion AFTER backdash adam and Superman were taken out behind the barn.
So what? If anything that's just playing the long game. Also for the record I think Batgirl > Zod, but the only reason one of them wouldn't be in top 5 is just because there's not enough spots. They'd still be in the conversation.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
So what? If anything that's just playing the long game. Also for the record I think Batgirl > Zod, but the only reason one of them wouldn't be in top 5 is just because there's not enough spots. They'd still be in the conversation.
Egh...
I don't think Batgirl is top 5, I think her vortex is top 5.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
i rather see one more injustice patch then mkx. simply because i dont want to buy a game that's still in beta like injustice was day 1. and thus gives them more time on mkx to get shit right the first time instead of having us test then we complain then charaters get unnecessary buff/nerfs. Nb4 mk9 subzero nerfs repeats itself.