What's new

Mortal Kombat Prototype 4.0 Released!

Disclaimer: By downloading this software you agree that you are legally entitled to do so, by either owning an original copy of the works or the original platforms they were copied to. You also agree that the poster of these works (myself) holds no responsibility nor consequences be it legally or otherwise of any damages or else that may occur.

U89 File - Mortal Kombat Proto 4.0 Eprom 1
U105 File - Mortal Kombat Proto 4.0 Eprom 2

How to verify them:

Backup your mkprot9 romset (both mkprot9 u85 and u105 files). Copy the contents of the zip file (mkprot9 folder in mame rom section) to an empty folder called, "mkprot9 backup". Then copy the two mk prot 4.0 eprom files to another folder, say "mkprot4" and rename them as mkprot4.89 and mkprot4.105. Move the two new mkprot4 eprom files (u89 and u105) to the mkprot9 folder in your mame rom database, and rename the two roms inside as such:

mkprot4.89 -> mkprot9.89
mkprot4.105 -> mkprot9.105

That's it, you can now load the MK Prototype 9.0 in your MAME emulator and it'll load MK Prototype 4.0.

MK Prototype 4.0 Differences (only got to test for a few minutes so far)*:

- Earliest known version of Mortal Kombat in existence
- You cannot play as the same character
- Menu won't allow cursors to pass each other in 2 player selection
- Sub Zero now has new corner infinite (ex. uppercut, freeze and repeat)
- Sub Zero has faster recovery after slide and can go straight into sweep for most instances
- Sub Zero can freeze opponent in air for finish him as he's falling from uppercut, and do fatality in air and body will fall to ground frozen
- Liu Kang can do Flying Kick when you do a HK first in air than F, F HK
- Raiden can now do Torpedo after doing a JK for more combo possibilities

*Differences taken via MAME which may not be accurate versus original hardware

Video Clip, First gameplay in MAME:

Enjoy my fellow MK friends!

PS for Scheiss - does this release get me upgrade status here on the forum :)

Sweet, excellent work dude! I love the character select screen not letting you pick the same player over and over again lmao

You're welcome guys - glad to share this rare find with everyone here. And thanks for commenting on the thread :) Sub definitely is great in this version no doubt about that. I wonder if any versions exist out there where you can play as Reptile (with his movesets), now that would be fun!

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Nice shit LOL

Oh and thanks for sharing the rom. Just a quick question: does this rom work in every mame version?

I'd just test it for now with MK Proto 8.0 or Proto 9.0 rom files, just rename the u89 and u105 files for either one to the new proto 4.0 u89 and u105 files and you'll be good to go.

I really wish someone here was familiar with assembly code that Boon and the designers used to write these games. I can decompile the source code and load that file in my hex editor, but have no clue how to read it to find our what values are what to modify the games like the UMK3 Zeus and Juggernaut Hacks.

I'd love to see Shao Kahn and the other bosses playable :)

McCarron

Noob
ScheissNussen said:
I'd like to see more of the code, Boon posted some of it on his twitter a while back and it didn't look that difficult, just really annoying to read and basically boiled down to a switch statement (for situations for Sonyas square wave punch MK1). I don't really have any experience with Assembler, but I think it would be more of a matter of just toying around with values until it changes something. If you can find the raw code I can try to learn some of it to alter shit.

As far as that hex crap goes, I have no idea how to read it/use it.

Its also labeled "Even if you dont know 34010 assembly language you might figure this one out. " So it's probably pretty simple.
I actually did use that code to mess around in the game. I debugged the game code and manually altered Sonya's move animation to do a different animation instead of the one she normally used. You can't see me doing things in the background, but I'm incrementing the value of the animation block. It's hard to add lines of code, etc to this but it's really easy to just change the value of things much like how MAME cheats work. I could then write a cheat that always made her do a flying kick instead of a flying punch.

Hacking Mortal Kombat 1 on The Fly

I could give you all (or most) of the MK source in Assembler from a MAME CPU dump but it's not commented like Ed's code here so it's almost unusable.