What's new

Modding PDP MK stick for easier diagonals

dendeno9

Noob
So far I've been playing MK9 on my PDP stick, and it's been working really well. Recently, I've been trying to get into Tekken, but I'm having a huge problem doing diagonals on the joystick. In MK, the only diagonal you need is a jump, which was no problem because you could just be walking towards or away and roll the stick into the up/left or up/right position. In Tekken however, certain moves require a simultaneous pressing of both a diagonal and a button. This is problematic because down rolled into down/forward then the button is a crouching hit, and to actually hit a solid diagonal there is this very small and ambiguous "sweet spot" direction that I have to pull off. I can maybe land these certain moves 1 or 2 times out of 10, which isn't good.
Now I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to these kinds of things, but I've been thinking that a different restrictor gate may do the trick to create more area for diagonal inputs. Does anyone know what kind of restrictor gate is in the PDP stick, and what should I change it to? Should I maybe just mod it with a new joystick entirely?

nwo

Noob
I don't think these style of sticks even have gates. Technically it is a "square" since they use one switch for each direction (4 switches). I don't have any diagonal issues though personally, but I only play MK on mine.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Take out the circle part from the stick (the one that holds the spring) and cut the little circle in the center to make it look like a square....thats how i did mine....

dendeno9

Noob
Take out the circle part from the stick (the one that holds the spring) and cut the little circle in the center to make it look like a square....thats how i did mine....
Yeah, I got a bit impatient yesterday and just did that because I heard someone else talking about doing that. Didn't do too great of a job though, but it still works fine. I just wonder how big you can make the square before the part that holds the spring goes through.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I can tell you this... those sticks in the pdp are absolutely NOT meant to come out. That being said, I did get mine out and replaced with sanwa, but it took a hacksaw and drummel. The reason for the cutting was because the screws are screwed into it from under the glued plexiglass down toward the stick.

So, unless you want major reconstruction, find parts for the exact stick you've got. I don't know if there is a restrictor plate or not, but best of luck. You can get other color sticks and different kinds of switches, but taking the whole mount out to put in another stick just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo

AC1984

Kaballin!
Yeah, I got a bit impatient yesterday and just did that because I heard someone else talking about doing that. Didn't do too great of a job though, but it still works fine. I just wonder how big you can make the square before the part that holds the spring goes through.
When I did mine, it took me around 4 hours to cut every corner so it serves its purpose properly. Cut little pieces and then put it back on for testing...at some point you should get the feeling of having corners...
However, if you're looking for a Sanwa type of corner, you ain't gonna get it...with the IL/Happ the most you can get is a slight feeling of a corner....