What's new

Question MKXL needs a (online) ranked system?!

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
so i came from tekken to mkx and with the new netcode online is really fun
but mkxl only offers a lobby kinda system.
it feels to me like its only for practice or casual fun
(i only played 250 games online so far)

why am i even miss such a feature?
- tekken has a cool and motivating rank (logo) system
- sf5 has that points system with ranks
- KI also uses a rank system
- league of Legends
- starcraft 2
etc.

basically every competitive game out there has some kind of a rank system that matches peoples together.
i had that issue also with mkx but because the online play was bad anyways i didnt care about online at all.

mkx has this win odds system but that system does feel so random when it comes to opponents in ranked (ether 0% or 100% isnt rare)
but even worse there is not a good feel of progression while playing mkxl online.
(and that is something the hole gameindustrie is aware of (hello new progress feature in overwatch :))

RankSystemExample:
(all in a nice art and unique and more brutal the higher you get)
(the first ranks are a little boring so even casuals get a feel of progressin)
- Beginner (after 10 online ranked wins you get a garanteed rankup and cant get demotet here)
- Fighter
- Killer
and many more just an example
(rank system should be per fighter not per account or playing alts online will feel bad just because you are not good with all of them)

am i alone wanting a real progression feel in ranked mkxl online?
(i am actually sure that i am not even close to be alone with that opinion)

for me personally its a really big reason why i dont play mkx as much as i would with a motivating rank system (in player matches or lobbys wont change anything only for ranked matches - even more awesome would be a 2 out of 3 game system (winner sticks with fighter and variation)

i also think people would stream way more mkx because watching ranks is way more interesting because of the "competitive nature"

ps: i love this game and as long as people will play it i wont quit. mkxl is such a beautiful fighting game. this is why i care about the future of mkx and i am not even a pro i just enjoy it xD

E

Eldriken

Things like this lead to more rage quitting, which is why I don't care for them. That is unless of course there's a properly WORKING system in place to deal with rage quitters. If that were the case, I'd be all for it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I agree with this. I doubt it will happen in this game, but maybe the next.

The Beta was some of the most fun I've had in a while playing 'the general MK population', mostly because most players I was matched up against really knew how to play the game. In general Ranked matches I'm about 1300W-200L or so, which just means that most people I'm facing off against aren't very good players.

You're always able to play people you know in sets, but it's also fun to be matched up with good players who you've never met, or weren't aware of.

So +1 for adding a system in the next NRS game that matches you with people of your level.

LIGUE

Noob
I agree with this totally.
I love the SFV system which uses both battle points to determine what 'league' you are in. (Bronze, Silver, Gold etc...) Furthermore, I would love it if it were mandatory that once you pass a certain rank that all the ranked matches become 2/3 with character lock/ variation lock, for the winner like in a tournament!
OR even just the SFV system where there's an option to "double or nothing" Although the mandatory 2/3 matches are better. Similar to KI

Question:
Also, does anyone actually know how the 'ranking' system works? When you look at the leaderboards there are 'points' but I have no idea how they accumulate or work. I wish we could actually see this progress post match, and if it was actually present when looking for opponents. I think this ranking number has something to do with your 'win odds' though

I'd love something like this. Honestly the KI system is what attracted me to the game (I need to play more KI lol). But I find myself playing more towers than anything when I'm in mkxl except when I'm in n a online warrior mood and do a few hrs of ranked.