What's new

MKX Art Direction

What are you guys liking about this games art direction so far? What are you not liking? Things such as characters, weapons or anything art related. Any depictions of themes you'd like to see are welcome too.

Personally, I'm digging the rather raw, simplistic & traditional look of the current character reveal. Many returning ones like Scorpion, have a more warrior archetype look & feel this time around, yet still retain a partly fantasy based design. I'm liking a lot of the new ideas being presented. Thanks for having that talk with Ed, Steve Beran. ; )

This iteration is looking great. And in my opinion, if the the comic and game play reveals are indicative of anything, we might be seeing some Legend of the Five Rings type designs for Eastern inspired characters. Here's some of the random works I found on Deviant Art. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm liking so far, even if that sonya and fujin design we saw in the comics is what we will see in MKX in case they're playable.

The game feels more dead serious, fresh, and very appealing, i wouldn't mind a redesigned half naked chicks tho. ;)

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
So far, I love the art direction. Feels much more like the early days of the series, and less like a Saturday morning cartoon (they still have those, right?). I think that the visual cues for the Variations is a bit too much, though. It's unnecessary and very distracting in some instances: Sub's ice mask, all the glowing shit, etc. Not sure how that stuff will reconcile with Alt Costumes.

I'm liking all of the designs except for Scorpion's.

Those straps and buckles are fucking ridiculous.
I agree about the ones covering his gauntlets and biceps. They appear unnecessary and do not seem to serve a function besides aesthetics. The ones on his vest though don't look too bad. There is also a bit too many around his waist.

So far, I love the art direction. Feels much more like the early days of the series, and less like a Saturday morning cartoon (they still have those, right?). I think that the visual cues for the Variations is a bit too much, though. It's unnecessary and very distracting in some instances: Sub's ice mask, all the glowing shit, etc. Not sure how that stuff will reconcile with Alt Costumes.
I Agree about the visual cues for variations Swindle. They are already displayed in the games HUD. Have alts been confirmed? I hope I'm proven wrong, but somehow I get the feeling we won't be getting any. I'm thinking because they might possibly interfere with the visual cues themselves, and may add confusion for the players because of the difference in costume design?

Edit: What I meant by my last sentence, is if there is any drastic difference in what is highlighted, for instance.

Last edited:

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I Agree about the visual cues for variations Swindle. They are already displayed in the games HUD. Have alts been confirmed? I hope I'm proven wrong, but somehow I get the feeling we won't be getting any. I'm thinking because they might possibly interfere with the visual cues themselves, and may add confusion for the players because of the difference in costume design?
I'll check the early interviews around the time of E3. I think either Ed or Steve mentioned that there would be alt costumes, but I'll verify it if I can find the vid.

Everything is amazing so far. But why does Sub Zero have like a million knives strapped around him when he doesn't use any of them
Yeah, I haven't seen him use any of his throwing knives either, but that doesn't he won't (in maybe some animation?) I know Kano does with the ones on his torso. I didn't realize he did at first, until I slowed down the animation.

On a related note, I was looking at Quan Chi's sword and I thought I might have seen the blade profile somewhere. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the art team may have referenced the blade design of a Bo-Kri throwing knife. The middle image is a stretched version of the blade and the bottom one is how it actually looks. You can see the similarity between Quans' sword and this knife.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I'll check the early interviews around the time of E3. I think either Ed or Steve mentioned that there would be alt costumes, but I'll verify it if I can find the vid.
I can't remember where it was either but I do remember at least twice it was brought up and once it was presented along the lines of...I like the differences in the styles highlighting which one you are using, I assume there will also be alternate outfits too...to which they answered yeah for sure...

Honestly after the ton of alts for MK9 and even more for IGAU it would be hard to believe they wouldn't.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Yeah, I haven't seen him use any of his throwing knives either, but that doesn't he won't (in maybe some animation?) I know Kano does with the ones on his torso. I didn't realize he did at first, until I slowed down the animation.

I noticed the knife thing with Kano yesterday after going through all the old variation trailers.

I think little details like that are just the most badass things ever. Ex knife through coulda just been something generic, but no he throws different knife with different properties in a semi-scatter.

I hope we see more little things like that.

Another one is in a video with Kotal's War God variation, if you block his overhead swing with his "sword" the sword is pushed off to the side(the background for us since it's we see it in 2D) and he has to pull from there, unlike when he regularly just whiffs it and it lands straight.

Speaking of Kotal, I really love the Aztec-Maya mix they gave him.