What's new

MKT On The PS2

Skyler

Noob
I'm looking to buy the Greatest Hits version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the Playstation. I've heard that this game doesn't run too well on the PS2, can anyone confirm/deny this? I don't have an original Playstation to play it on.

Derek

Noob
Skyler said:
I'm looking to buy the Greatest Hits version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the Playstation. I've heard that this game doesn't run too well on the PS2, can anyone confirm/deny this? I don't have an original Playstation to play it on.
It's been awhile since I've played MKT on PS2. If I remember correctly there are some frame drops, sound skips, freezing, and tearing problems with MKT on the PS2.

dreemernj

Ambassador
I don't remember experiencing any problems within a round itself, but it freezes up in a lot of different places. I think the end of a round (pause and exit match to avoid it), after you beat the game, and I think on the buy-in screen as well.

The game runs very well on emulators, and PSone's are still available pretty cheap though.

krsx

Noob
The only in-game trouble I've experienced is a minor one: the music in the Deadpool stutters and breaks up. It could be my disc, but I think it plays fine on Epsxe so it may be a problem of the PS2.

Other than mentioned above, if you let the 'Continue' counter reach 0, it freezes the game.

Skyler

Noob
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like there aren't any game breaking bugs, just a few minor inconveniences.

I guess another option would be to just download the pc version, or a rom of the PSX or N64 version and use one of my wired 360 controllers to play. Come to think of it, that might just be the best option. I'm used to playing with the 360 controller now, so I world like to avoid using the PS2 controller.

dreemernj

Ambassador
You can still buy the game for PSX. You can pop the game into your computer to play it with emu.

The PC version is cool too, its basically the same. It has built in IPX netplay but that is kind of limited. With emus like ePSXe you have access to Kaillera, but that gets real buggy unless you are using the rip of a disc and both players have the same rip and are using the same plugin settings.

Skyler

Noob
Well, I tried out a few different versions so far. Everything on the N64 rom works fine, but the graphics aren't the greatest and it lags a little bit. I also downloaded a copy of the PC version, but apparently there is no sound and the game will only let me use the analog stick.

So if I buy a copy of the PSX game, I can run it on my computer with an emulator? How well does it run, and are there any performance increases like improved loading times?

dreemernj

Ambassador
Skyler said:
Well, I tried out a few different versions so far. Everything on the N64 rom works fine, but the graphics aren't the greatest and it lags a little bit. I also downloaded a copy of the PC version, but apparently there is no sound and the game will only let me use the analog stick.

So if I buy a copy of the PSX game, I can run it on my computer with an emulator? How well does it run, and are there any performance increases like improved loading times?
Loading seems shorter to me when I play it on the comp. And typically the gameplay and sounds and everything are dead on. It depends on your computer, type and version of emulator, and version of game. But it should work.

.. and PS3 as well Dave, since the system has the PS2 chipset and the emulation is identical. There isn't a disc speed option for the backwards compatibility (thought PS2 games load faster on average), so PS games load fairly slowly.

With firmware 1.5, MKT looks as if were running on the PS1 hardware with an additional smoothness added thanks to 48p support by default. Too bad the game just doesn't run well at all.