What's new

MKT for Sega Saturn.

Does anyone played the Sega Saturn version of MKT?

Some people say its the best version, with the best graphics, but I only know this from people how doesnt play it very good so I dont know if its maybe complete broken like the UMK3 version for Saturn.
A guy how I know says also it has very short loading times.

I have a Saturn but its not so easy to get in Germany and I dont want to waste my money on ebay for a expensive version which maybe isnt that good at all.

I have UMK3 and MK2 for Saturn by the way, and they booth have a broken air physic (characters stay too long in air).

ded

Elder God
can you saturn read re-writen games, if so i can easy give you mkt for saturn :wink:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I have only played it once, the graphics are not perfect, a bit grainy if I remember, and the gameplay is poor.

dreemernj

Ambassador
I think saturn MKT is built off the same source as PSX and PC. It's just a horribly buggy version, similar to the original PSX version.

I noticed a weird thing with the graphics where they had a graininess as Shock described. The graphics looked the same size and quality as psx in general just with agrainy filter over them.

When I get a chance I might try taking the dat files off the pc version and replace the saturn ones with them to see what happens.

I've done that with the psx and pc versions for kicks and all the files except the exe and its support files are identical.

I never played MK Trilogy for the Saturn but I was fortunate(or unfortunate) to play Ultimate MK 3 on the Saturn. I can tell you that version of UMK 3 was alright for screenshots but certain things feel off about it. I think Shock posted about UMK 3 on other forums about how the Saturn version isn't that great. I can't imagine MK T much better.

ded

Elder God
i tryied playing mkt for saturn on emulator, but the emulation was too buggy... unplayable

dreemernj

Ambassador
To save time and money the developers ported 1 set of code to multiple systems as much as possible. MKT for Saturn, PSX, and PC were all ports of the same base game, but Saturn came out later, its graphics looked different even though they were essentially the same, and the game, as far as I can tell, was never updated to have good gameplay.

MK3 for PSX, MK3 for Windows, and UMK3 for Saturn are all ports of the same code, so they have almost identical menu screens, character sizes, graphical quality, etc.

I don't think MK3 for PSX or Windows is particularly good. So, for me, UMK3 for Saturn had a weak platform to build off of.

On top of that, the characters, moves, and engine mechanics that were added to UMK3 for Saturn to update it from regular MK3 are just put into the game wrong. There are lots of places where, instead of trying to base the game on the arcade version, they simply programmed it in however they saw fit and, in every case I've found, they left the game broken and feeling wrong.

krsx

Noob
Shock said:
I have only played it once, the graphics are not perfect, a bit grainy if I remember
I've played it once as well (I was so desperate to get it back in '97, and nowhere had it for the PSX, I ended up renting it along with a Saturn from Blockbuster!) and that's what I remember; the graphics were grainy. Oh, and Goro wasn't nearly as cool to play as I thought he'd be.

Derek

Noob
I've only seen it once, and I didn't even get to play it. It was at some Blockbuster and it was rented out. Wich was fine for me because I had a PSX at the time and got the same crappy thing for my PSX :)