What's new

MKGold Appreciation Thread

Dreamcast is my favorite video game system, from its long list of Fighters and Shmups to its unique games and not to forget the emulators available for it. NesterDCSE anyone.

Anyways, what I am getting at is that MKGold is a fun game. Its a great homeport of MK4 that IMO is better then PC PS1 or N64. Though the games added characters can't be taken seriously in "tournament competitive play" who cares and depending on if you have the gold disc (v1.0) or red disc (v1.1) a few of the problems are fixed. All of the original MK4 players are there though!

When I bought my friends dreamcast off him for 30 dollars back in 2001 w/Soul Calibur it changed my gaming life all the way from Atari/Commodore/Amiga days til then i was hardcore gamer, after the dreamcast though gaming died for me (unless its a brand new shmup i'm there)

What I'm getting at though as a dreamcast fan and owner, I walked into GameStop one day and there on the shelf was this Hot New Mortal Kombat Gold for dreamcast?? I thought to myself whaaaat? I'm a huge MK fan and I didn't know there was a MK for dreamcast, hell did anyone know? It was priced 24.99 used. I flipped around the case and seen it was MK4 with new characters and was immediately dissapointed (i didn't like MK4 at the time) but none the less I swooped it up at that 25 dollar price range (might of paid to much but when its pre MKDA how can you set a price ;) )

I went home and played it alot, beat it with all the characters, unlocked all the movies. I'm just thankful that there is a MK exclusive on the Sega Dreamcast, my favorite system.

I like MK Gold, even if it isn't the greatest MK.

S

scheissn

By the time this game came out, all of my friends were tired of MK4.
They especially didn't like it when I would let them win the bulk of the round then, infi-tele-uppercut them.

MK4/MKG really had a lot of extras in them. Costumes/weapons/endings/etc.

I really need to get a hold of the gold disc version. Everyone talks about the infi-tele being so broken but its disabled after 4 or 5 hits in my version (still leads to 50% combos though lol)

It would also be neat to pick noob saibots 3rd costume and have it reset my dreamcast, lol.

I only get to play MKG single player unfortunately :(

Some of the stages in MK4/G are awesome man, I have very little experience with Weapons though. I've never used them in MK4 or G and i only know maybe one or two characters moves to whip them out. I know that it adds broken-ness to the game though.

S

scheissn

Well I distinctly remember using the hammer or something like it with sektor (b+lp I believe).
I can't remember if I got it through counter picking or weapon select. (god, it has been like 9-10 years!)
But that is especially ridiculous. Weapon volley, tp, repeat lol.

played a bit of MKGold tonight while my GF watched. Beat the game with a few characters, tryed to max out combos. Never have broken 50% yet, but I haven't been able to play with Max Damage off since there is noone to play 2player with. If only there were a inf health/time code so I could just blast on inactive 2nd player all day.

I was fucking with Kunglao trying to find a good combo for him. I hate trying to max out a juggle combo then realizing that no matter what I try its useless to something like HPHPHKHK hatthrow HPHPHKHK hatthrow 40+ percent max damage.

Same with Mileena, Spent time trying to figure out a juggle combo with her with a combination of autocombo and rolls just to find out that the best I could do was small damage compared to "roll roll roll roll JHK" 40+ percent max damage. WTF i spend time trying to be creative when alls I had to do is that!

iammud

Noob
GoldenOreos said:
i just burned this game last week......im not impressed,maximum damage was an epic fail
I appreciated the max damage limiter in mk4... UMK3 needed one of those.

on your pirated burnt copy did you get revison 1.0 or 1.1?

MKGold is still better then any other 3D Mortal Kombat.

Sure MK4/Gold is my least favorite MK out of the original 4 but, I am a classic MK fan. It's still fun for me.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
MKG is definitely the best 3-D MK game...even though I really like MKD.

All the Gold exclusive characters are broken beyond belief though. Sektor and Kitana are over the top. But the game is still very fun IMO.

I've never been a Scorpion fan in any MK game, but he was my fav in MK4.

You know when i had MKG for a while, i was happy to beat the whole game with all the characters. But lets be honest, Shinnok was top tier, even if everyone had the same combos =..=