What's new

MK9 to support up to 4 players offline some how?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Hey guys, was just wondering what your thoughts or if you heard something maybe I didn't...

But according to a few magazines, you know where they say "company, release date, up to such and such players and rated M etc"

I've noticed now that especially the closer we get to MK's release, the more I see this.

Players, 4 via the side bar info. Look at the new Gameinformer(which I haven't received yet) but some people got it already with mail, the newer scans that I think dairou user on here posted in the update thread, clearly show/proof the game will support up to 4 players...

The thing is, how and what?

You see, they confirmed the MK team, Boon etc that online you'll have a few options which is always good, but offline they haven't gone into yet. A long time ago I could have sworn Boon said there will be a co-op arcade mode where you and a friend take turns taking it on.

Now, that's 2 players. The 4 player gig, I keep asking on MKC's twitter and Ed's...nothing lol. Now both usually address simple questions but I'm guessing they can't say something about it...I have a theory that there will be(I hope) a 4 player offline mode, 2 vs. 2 via the tag team mode. Now, you have to admit, this would be BADASS.

Now, we've seen this mode in DOA 3 and DOA 4 in terms of other mainstream fighters(and Smash Brothers has always been 4 but entirely different engine) offline or online.

But I can't help but to wonder, because MK team confirmed several times online you can do up to 8 people....oldschool arcade ladder style(like all fighters do now including UMK3 but that only had 4) yet the info states "1-4 players" in the new Gameinformer...so how is it, they know how many players offline but not the fans? hmm

I'm sure some people don't care about this, but if you have some friends over it could be really cool I think when you're taking breaks from one on one or one on one controlling 2 characters each.

SZSR

Noob
Just curious, have you ever played Tekken Tag Tournament? If you have, this would answer a lot of questions. In TTT, you could do "pair play mode" where the player marker would be in the upper corner of who you were (like on the 1p side it would have a marker of "1p" or "2p", and on the 2p side it would be "3p" or "4p"). Considering Ed is a fan of Tekken, i'm quite he would've played this and would take some cues on how to mark who was playing.

As for the 8 people thing, they've really only clarified it on Xbox, where you could have up to as many players minus the active players as the max (so if you were watching a 4 player tag team match then 4 spectators, or just 1 on 1, it would be 6 spectators). On xbox, you could see the avatars acting as they spectate, waiting in line to fight the opponent, making little emotes like cheering as well as wager on opponents with your koins and give people negs or pluses on how the play, so if someone uses Kahn and spams online then they'll probably get all negs, but if it's a real fight where it goes down to the wire then all players get positives.

I have no idea on how they're gonna do this on PSN, but hopefully it's something similar. And I HOPE we can boot trolls.

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
yoyoyo

in this vid at around 4:49 ed talks about games modes. he says you can have two guys on one machine vs two on another. so im pretty sure 4 player will not be online only unless they make some lame move like they did with star craft 2

MKF30

Yep, few mags have and the MK team and Boon confirmed it weeks ago on his twitter :) so can't wait!

Online though you can only do 2 on 2, via 2 players on one xbox vs. 2 on another xbox. Which can also be fun. And of course you can do 4 players offline 2 friends vs. 2 friends, hehe I don't think there will be an option however for 4 individually online like from 4 different xbox's.

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
Yep, few mags have and the MK team and Boon confirmed it weeks ago on his twitter :) so can't wait!

Online though you can only do 2 on 2, via 2 players on one xbox vs. 2 on another xbox. Which can also be fun. And of course you can do 4 players offline 2 friends vs. 2 friends, hehe I don't think there will be an option however for 4 individually online like from 4 different xbox's.
its a shame 4 console battles are not happening, but having at least 4 player offline is a big thing for a fighting game. 4 player tag tournaments are gona be awesome.

man this game!

MKF30

Yeah I agree, I know some people have said it's like DOA in some ways but I think it'll be better since you can literally mix up each others combos and the fact that there's a meter in this game unlike DOA will play a role managing it as a team you know?

I agree, that should be pretty wild for multiplayer tag team tournaments and/or for a party casuals.