What's new

MK10 AI suggestion (ghost battles like tekken?)

Sup guys noobster here just trying to give a suggestion...now before you say: "what is this guy talking about?", just give me a chance. It's my first suggestion thread on this forum, so hear me out.

If you don't know, I really suck at this game, and I definitely need to get better. But I really can't help but notice that expert difficulty on this game is really bad. That's somewhat okay, once you have a better understanding of the game you should be able to beat the AI relatively easily. However, I would really like to see the AI improve. I, like most others, am not a huge fan of online....so I tend to play the AI on most occasions.

"but this has already been suggested"

I'm getting there. The only way to to face the AI is only through arcade....or story. Arcade being the only option. However there is no versus mode against the AI. Definitely something that needs to be put in, BUT, that still wouldn't fix the main issues off the AI lacking difficulty.

So what about having a ghost system?

If you play tekken, you probably know what I'm talking about. A ghost system pretty much get's a players tendencies and behaviors, and makes the AI mimick those tendencies. The result is AI a lot better and more challenging than just the regular old AI. The AI doesn't mirror what your player does...but will do moves that you tend to do most.

This mimicking will include:
i. juggles
ii. pokes
iii. when you use specials
iiii. even frame traps and strings
iiiii. tag team setups and combos

Tekken 6 has continuous ghost battles as well...so you can continually go against other ghost by other players. These ghost also have rankings to determine there difficulty (1st dan, tekken lord.....etc.) However, it's up to the devs if they want to have a ranking system. I could care less about the ranking, but I would want to face AI ghost continually ranging in difficulty.

The issue:

The main issue I worry about is if you can update the ghost. Since this game has been patched left and right, I worry that in mk10 the AI will be doing things that would probably be patched or useless in the future (suffer the same fate as mk9). Unless mk10 can be a perfectly balanced game (I wish), then there would need to be a way a player can update ghost (without patching).

Not only that, I'm not sure who they would volunteer to get the ghost from. I would like to see online player ghost, as well as tournament players...but I'm not sure how tekken does it unfortunately. I believe they use the arcades for their ghost (correct me if I'm wrong).

How can ghost work?

The key to making this work would need to be tendencies. What players prefer to do, and at what time, and at what situation. These tendencies can include:

-What a player does at the beginning of a match
-What a player does when at low life
-What combos/juggles do they do (with one bar, with two, with Xray)
-When do they use x ray (never, in a combo, randomly....thtb :))
-Frame traps or mix ups
-when do they breaker (always when given the chance, low health
-Rush down or Zoner?
-How often do they do pokes?
-How the person reacts to high projectiles? (duck, jump over, teleport?)

Tag team ghost battles
-When do they prefer to tag in?
-How often do they use character assist?
-What tag combos do they do with one bar? With two? With xray?

Having mk ghost battles would be an awesome addition to the game. I would probably never touch online if it was implemented correctly. Expert mode drops combos, and is pretty bad at punishing. With ghost battles, a lot of this is somewhat solved if done correctly.

-Protagonist1

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
...I really dig this idea.

Biased or not, there's no way MK can't take a T6 idea like this and make it better.

The best part of it would be that playing against a ghost of yourself makes you your own perfect training partner.

The better you get, the more of your own weaknesses and needs for improvement surface that you can repair, the better you can get. On and on, 'til the break of dawn. And imagine, if you will, if you could take your super beefed up ghost and send it to someone else in need of a training partner not based in the basic world of the AI. Think about it; you could fight the near equivalents of any top player who decides to pass around their clone, anytime you wanted.

Well done, sir. You get a banana. :banana:

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have to imagine the vast majority of people who play the game just play against the AI.
Thanks, online is not much of my "cup of tea" so to speak. Though training with a ghost would be awesome, and would make me want to put more hours into the game :)

...I really dig this idea.

Biased or not, there's no way MK can't take a T6 idea like this and make it better.

The best part of it would be that playing against a ghost of yourself makes you your own perfect training partner.

The better you get, the more of your own weaknesses and needs for improvement surface that you can repair, the better you can get. On and on, 'til the break of dawn. And imagine, if you will, if you could take your super beefed up ghost and send it to someone else in need of a training partner not based in the basic world of the AI. Think about it; you could fight the near equivalents of any top player who decides to pass around their clone, anytime you wanted.

Well done, sir. You get a banana. :banana:
Thanks Oneboxyrobot! I never thought of it that way, but that would be awesome to get a top player ghost and play against them (PL ghost, or a TomB ghost, or Chris G...that would be awesome)! Or training with yourself....I would never touch online after that.

As for perfecting it compared to tekken 6, yeah...I do some what agree. Though I do see some light at the end of this tunnel:

-Mk9 has a record function (though incosistent at times), which does give me the feeling that the AI mimicking your gameplay inputs, and how you play on giving situations can still be a possibility. It does seem it could work out, but being as naive as I am, I'm probably making it sound simpler than it seems....since I'm not a dev. :(

-Mk9 is also a 2D game (as compared to tekken or socal which are 3d games), so I felt it would be a bit more simpler to do 2d ghost than 3d ones. Most of the combos are just inputs, only some requiring timing, so just maybe a possibility.

It would take time and testing to see how well it can mimic a player...but at the same time not mirror and do different things. I remember Tekken 5's ghost system couldn't make characters do juggle moves and they still played relatively like the AI. Though in Tekken 6, they improved on it, and the AI was able to do juggle combos, and more moves based on what the player does. I still feel if they(NRS) makes the ghost system pay more attention to the sitatuion, and the meter...that it could work out, so that the AI wouldn't be just throwing out random moves.

The end result, if done well, could be huge.