What's new

MK1 pcb has no sound

I bought a working mk pcb and soundboard and planned on installing it in my dedicated mk2 cabinet. It didn't come with any of the wiring harnesses so I used the wiring diagram in the mk users guide and a wiring diagram that I found online and wired up my own harness. This is the wiring diagram I found online and wired everything up according to this. http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=134859 I wired the speaker positive to the speaker positive on the sound board, wired the speaker negative on the pcb to the speaker negative on the soundboard and so on. I did every connection like this except I obviously left the spot that didn't have a pin blank and also there was a plug labeled n/c but it had a pin there. I also left the n/c blank. Everything else I wired up to match. There was two 12 volts wires so I guess it doesn't matter which 12 volts went to the other 12 volts. I got everything wired up and soldered on the back of the boards. I used the 20 pin ribbon cable from my mk2 cab and hooked that up to test it. I found a potentiometer that says B50K on the back. Now I assume the 50k means 50,000 ohms but I cannot be sure if that is what it means or not. It was my brothers and he passed away earlier this year so I have no way of knowing. I wired the b50k sound pot up in the correct location using pins 2 and four.

I hooked everything up. The game boots up great but I get no sound. I tried messing with the wiring, pushing on the roms to try and reseat them, turing the sound pot adjuster and changing the wiring around on the sound pot. Nothing seems to work. I don't even get a pop from the speakers. Also in order to enter the test menu, I have to hold down the test menu button. As soon as I release it, it goes back into the game. I am almost positive I wired everything up correctly. Only things I was not sure with is, should I connect a wire to the spot labled n/a on the pcb and sound board and does it matter which 12 volt wire goes where as there is two of them? Everything else should be ok. How would you go about testing this to find out what is wrong? Any ideas why you have to hold the test menu button in for it to stay at that menu? Thanks for any help you can give me. Also if by friday I don't have it figured out, I am going to try and just buy a wiring harness and ribbon cable and maybe sound pot and see if that works.

yea I will probably just use the ribbon cable you linked unless I can find one locally at my local computer store. I ended up hardwiring everything for power from pcb to the sound board using the wiring diagram found in the mk1 arcade users guide. I borrowed the 20 pin ribbon cable from my mk2 cabinet and hooked it all up. I wired a 50kohm sound pot on the sound board. There is absolutley no sound at all. I tested the power wires at the sound board and it seems to be getting power. Not sure why I am getting no sound.

Yea mine is similar to that except I soldered the wires on the solder side of the board to the connections that way the pins are still free. Here is a video showing how I wired it. I had the multi meter set on a/c instead of d/c hence why my readings were so high.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
He's sending the set up to me. I'll be home in less than a week. I'll take a look at it for him and see what's up.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Direct quote from my sister via a message on Facebook...

"Got your hood and wheels. I wasn't home when they delivered the hood and they just left it on the porch. It's in a big box so I can't really check to see if it's ok. The box looks fine. It wasn't fun to haul that huge thing into the garage. You have literally at least 50 boxes to open when you get home. Some in your room, some in the game room, some in the garage. They have taken over the house..."