What's new

MK1 Custom Controllers

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
You are definitely workshopping the crap out of your layout.

Sounds like you see what I mean about thumb for block and Drive Impact type stuff.

I never had to solve the 720 problem. I know I tried some 360's just to see what it was like, but I don't remember if I tried the 720's then. I really don't expect that specific input to ever appear in a game again outside of the main character it was invented for, so it really didn't make my personal priority list.

Looks like you are pretty much where you wanted to be. Didn't take that long

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
You are definitely workshopping the crap out of your layout.
It is actually pretty adictive lol...

I wish there was a cheaper way to prototype.... So I can make a layout and use it for a while without having to build a full stick.

You are using the thumb for down right? How dose that work for you?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
It is actually pretty adictive lol...

I wish there was a cheaper way to prototype.... So I can make a layout and use it for a while without having to build a full stick.

You are using the thumb for down right? How dose that work for you?
I am. I can't compare it to the norm, but I'm very comfortable with it as down. Makes more head sense to me. I'd be pretty lost if someone handed me a hitbox and no typical leverless player would be able to try it. Not a big issue though

I spaced the hands so I wasn't going to get any of the hand sharing benefits anyway. I don't know if there is any kind of advantage beyond it just making more directional sense.

Jynks

been playing with this.... it is a "arcade stick" mixbox... so the 6 normal buttons are taken form the classic Tournament Edition Street Fighter 4 stick (one of my favs). So they are full sized buttons. The "special" buttons are moved up away from the action buttons but still on the face for easy use for Invasion Mode, SF6 Invasion Mode and often many games like say Final Fight or Turtles need ps5 Pad Button. It retains the mixbox movement but I added up under the thumbs to aid in the 720 and 360, so they function identically to a hitbox.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I take it becomes a bit too far to reduce it to a single thumb up between where they are now?

I guess that was one plus I had with thumb as down, platformers and beat em ups play very naturally (Ones you don't need thumbstick aiming for anyway). Mixbox was something I was interested in originally for the directional layout. Buttons are probably more comfortable than keys, so if the Fightbox style model existed when I needed something, I probably would have just done that. But having something just for you is a big win. Not sure I want to know what these things all cost me in total, but it was a fun thing to do for awhile.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder

Jynks

it looks more cool than I think it is.... as it only comes with a few face plates. While you can add or remove buttons and set them to be what you like..... you still need to make your own face plate... or you have to use the "all button" layout.

So while it is configurable to whatever... these are actually the only layouts it has. Split FGC looks the most useful to me for MK....

I looked at this a while back but forgot to post about it, and my thoughts was... why didn't they make a "all button layout" and then have small magnetic "plugs" so you can plug individual buttons? Having only 4 layouts, seems to be a bad idea.

Last edited:

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Faceplate variations is a pretty low barrier for expansion, so I don't really see having 4 as a starter as a big problem. Diaphone was trying the Split layout and I was kind of surprised to see a product basically sporting my personal, physical layout. It's got the extra direction and I don't have a top right most button at all. The spacing is probably about double the gaping what I use. The is the only thing I've seen that I think I could actually grab and play on. Seems very portable unlike what I built, which can't really go anywhere

I think it's at least cool that there are layout options compared to everything else where it's kind of like "Hope you like it, because this is the layout". The idea that you don't have to be boxed into the often copied Hitbox layout and pitching the idea that there are other options, and this isn't a "one size fits all concept" is a positive. It's going to be hard to beat a personalized soltion since that is intented to be as individualized as possible