What's new

MK Legacy director, Kevin Tancharoen, gets green light to produce new MK movie

Tim Static

Adminerator

Mortal Kombat is heading back to the big-screen.
New Line is hiring the filmmakers of the popular Mortal Kombat digital series, made earlier this year by corporate sibling Warner Bros. Digital Distribution, to take on a new adaptation of the classic 1990s fighting game.

The movie deal marks the end of a journey for Kevin Tancharoen, who will direct the new film. Tancharoen, a choreographer for Madonna and Britney Spears who directed the 2009 remake of Fame and more recently the Glee concert movie, directed a short film Mortal Kombat: Rebirth as a proof of concept for a Kombat movie he tried to pitch. A huge fan of the video game (and knowing Hollywood wouldn’t give him a shot at the title), he enlisted Oren Uziel to write the short and hired actors such as Michael Jai White and Jeri Ryan.
The short was viewed more than 10 million times on YouTube, and although no movie deal materialized, he was asked to direct the 10-episode web series, which debuted in April, attracting more than 50 million unique visitors.

To read more, check out the link to the full story located here!

Thanks to hecterific and Kevin himself and all the MK fans for spreading the word on Twitter!

Pikachu

I Pikachu while you shower.
This movie will only apeal 15 year old boys and fanboys. You can't make a good out of video game let alone MK. It will probably sell alit tho. But quantity isn't the same as quality right Static...

Tim Static

Adminerator
Larz said:
This movie will only apeal 15 year old boys and fanboys. You can't make a good out of video game let alone MK. It will probably sell alit tho. But quantity isn't the same as quality right Static...
not even close to being the same thing.....

Tim Static

Adminerator
Larz said:
I'd say about as close as the bieber vs cod thing.
there was no bieber vs CoD. it was CoD being garbage. I was saying like CoD, Bieber sells billions of records, but that doesnt make him, or CoD quality. So i guess if you mean if this new MK movie sells a ton it wont mean its good?

GoldenOreos

Arcade Tech
this is prob going to be good but make no sense what so ever. legacy series imo was done well but in terms of mk it was like wtf im

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
GoldenOreos said:
this is prob going to be good but make no sense what so ever. legacy series imo was done well but in terms of mk it was like wtf im
Yeah, Raiden is a psych ward patient. Enough said.