What's new

MK Layout for the TE2 stick?

When I bought the KI edition Madcatz TE2 stick for the XB1 I could have sworn one of the selling points was that Madcatz would release new button layouts for various fighting games.

I went to Madcatz's site and I didn't see any layout for MK (actually any layout for that matter.) Are there any 3rd parities that provide the sheet metal and acrylic for an MK button layout?

Edit: I originally asked about changing from vewlix to original MK layout but I think the discussion of about vewlix layout is much better

Last edited:

Mr. Yutani

Don't know karate but I know karazy.
I have a KI Madcatz TE2 stick as well, but to be perfectly honest I think the standard vewlix layout is fine, especially when you factor in that MK is basically an 8 button fighter now. I've played MKX on an old PDP MK fightstick and realized that the old MK button layout just doesn't really work all that well with MKX, especially if you've been playing other fighting games and have gotten used to the vewlix 8 button layout. Madcatz may release new button layouts somewhere down the road, but IMO I don't think they're needed for MKX.

I've been purposefully not using the gray buttons on the end (don't recall which ones those are linked to). Perhaps I am just hindering myself for no good reason; X-Rays are a really awkward 3-button press. On a side note, is your TE2 really noisy/creaky? There seems to be a bit of flex/give and it's pretty annoying to me.

Mr. Yutani

Don't know karate but I know karazy.
I've been purposefully not using the gray buttons on the end (don't recall which ones those are linked to). Perhaps I am just hindering myself for no good reason; X-Rays are a really awkward 3-button press. On a side note, is your TE2 really noisy/creaky? There seems to be a bit of flex/give and it's pretty annoying to me.
You should definitely remap the buttons on your fightstick to suit your own preferences since you have 8 at your disposal. I can't remember what my layout is off hand but the way its set up doing X-rays is only a 2 button press (the equivalent of LT & RT). As far as the TE2 being noisy? I suppose it can be but its never really bothered me.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Wouldnt the ideal layout for this game be something akin to soul calibur?

Something like this:
FP BP FK BK
BL __ __ __

EDIT nvm me i misread the question

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I don't use Flip Stance or Grab on my shoulders. Just interact and block. I'm used to grabbing from Street fighter and Tekken since it's just 1+3, and flip stance is ONLY going to be used for block breaker if I'm in a desperate situation.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
My stick layout is:

FP BP BLK STC
FK BK INT GRB

The block stays near 4 and 2 so e can quickly run cancel with more technical characters, stance is near blocking for easier x-rays, i rarely press interactables, but it would help if they could be performed with 1+2 with the input shortcuts off, you can only use 1+2 as interactables with the input shortcuts on.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
My stick layout is:

FP BP BLK STC
FK BK INT GRB

The block stays near 4 and 2 so e can quickly run cancel with more technical characters, stance is near blocking for easier x-rays, i rarely press interactables, but it would help if they could be performed with 1+2 with the input shortcuts off, you can only use 1+2 as interactables with the input shortcuts on.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
my stick layout is
1, 2, interactable, grab
3, 4, block, flip stance

I find that default layout works best for me

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I have mine set up as closely to the arcade MKs as possible.

FP FS BP
FK BL BK

I don't use the throw button or interactable. I do those both manually with the double button press. I feel this is the best set up for me at least, because it feels like MK and I can also easily meter burn any special because block is never too far away. I'm not sure how anyone would comfortable meter burn a BK move when your block button is so far away, for example.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Here is my stick layout, a modified Guilty Gear layout. I use D'Vorah and require the ability to piano 1 into block into 2 for bug run cancels. This is why my layout is as so. I also find it easier in this game if I use the 6 buttons furthest to the right.

1 Block 2
3 Stance 4

1+3 gives me throw. 1+2 gives me interactable. Block +Stance gives me X-ray. Also while holding block, I can block break while holding forward and Stance.

Finger placement: Pointer over 1 and 3. Middle over block and Stance. Ring over 2 and 4.

Last edited:
I got a Qanba Q4 yesterday, I can't find any decent layout. I'm not used to MK in general, but using the PDP pad I had no trouble blocking. With this stick I can't find a good place to put the block button with a viewlix layout. I really like the input better with the stick and buttons, but have to experiment more.

So far the one I like most is:

interactable,1, 2, grab
block, 3, 4,, flip stance

Block with thumb seems better to me, but the distance between 2/4 is off.

PwnStar

Noob
You can work it as a 6 button quite well. I never bother with interactable or stance buttons except for one situation.

1 | 2 | throw | interactable
block | 3 | 4 | stance

Works for me. Only thing off is for some reason with air X-Ray moves, block + 3 + 4 has issues and super strict input (it makes no sense why...just bad coding). So I have to hit block + stance for the few characters with air X-Ray, but it's stupid easy.

DON'T EVER USE THE MK LAYOUT. It is bad. Like REALLY bad. I still have nightmares being forced to use MK9's PDP stick for that $21k tournament it had. standard

MK Slash

Useful Idiot look at the flick of the wrist
my layout for mkx on my T.E.2 for ps4 is .....
1 :blk 2
3 S 3
1+2 for interact
1+3 for throws
:blk and S for xray

this layout is best for me because its most like MK arcade :DOGE