What's new

MK 9 Fundamentals

Garasky

Noob
Hey guys, I've played MK9 for a couple months now on a casual lvl. This is the first and only fighting game that I really got into. I can connect some decent 30-40% combos online on a consistent basis. My problem is that I don't really understand the game mechanics ... half the time I feel like I am doing attacks mindlessly hoping it would hit. Maybe people new to fighting games have this problem as well ...

Can someone tell me what are the most important fundamentals I should know? Just a couple key points would help

Thnx in advance~

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
I cant really explain the game mechanics too well but i can tell you the most important thing you should do when you start love the normals that your character has get used to the ranges that they can hit from know what can be used as anti air and what cannot.......most of this can be done by yourself in the lab (training mode) when you are comfortable with the normals do the same with specials....

one thing i can tell you about the mechanics is that its built on a only first hit causes stun frames basis so when your trying to apply pressure make sure to not just randomly press buttons when you are close cause you wont be able to hit con when you have scored a hit and good players will put a halt to your advance and crush your dreams

NKZero

Warrior
as Lulzlou pointed out it's footsies that are the main thing. Once you have those on deck you can really develop your game further. When I started playing all I wanted to do was fish for high damage off a JIP so I would jump like crazy. A few 12% uppercuts later I had learnt my lesson and began to incorporate the low pokes into my game as well as establishing the correct spacing.