What's new

Missing the MLG Hype a Bit

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Today's the second day of the MLG 2013 Winter Chamnpionship in Dallas. While MLG has arrived with all the usual spectacle, I can't help but feel a bit wistful thinking about the entirety of the run MK had last year.

From Columbus through Dallas, every event was truly unique. We went from the arrival of Turbolicious and the ignominious defeat of PL under the weight of a sizable bounty, plus some amazing play by riu48, to the appearance of Ermac in one of the hypest grand finals to date at MLG arena, to the meteoric rise and fall of KT Smith, to the settling of rivalries between Brady and Denzell and Tyrant/Jr., to the west coast putting down an authoritative statement at Anaheim, causing the entire scene to level up. We saw Maxter reach his peak, Tyrant snatch victory from the jaws of defeat yet again, and and entire community come together to help get each other out to Dallas.

And yes, there was REO.

And on a general level, it was nice to see MK tournament play receive the level of respect it should have had all along. First-class billing, professional commentary, and enough dollar signs to consistently attract the game's best players.

Also having Arturo behind the scenes to advocate for the community was priceless and an unusual situation for an Esports promotion at this level. A lot of what Art did went unheralded and happened in private behind closed doors -- but it made an enormous difference. Sundance running the division at a loss regardless of the dollar signs was also a cool guesture, and it provided a lot of people with opportunities they wouldn't have had otherwise.

So as I tune in to this year's MLG, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the last year's worth of great memories. While no situation will ever be 100% perfect, it's still easy to take things for granted. And should Injustice make an entrance this year -- my body is ready :)

Although it was from pre-tournament casuals, it's only fitting to leave this in closing:

Their business model was never made to include fighters and they handled it all wrong. If MK ever gets back in MLG the same thing will happen that it will have a short run because they dont make money from us.

coolwhip

Noob
PL vs CD Jr at Columbus followed by the runback at Anaheim are to me, the defining moments of this game's life on the tournament level. The fact that they proceeded to meet in the Grand Finals of EVO makes it all the more significant.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
MLG Anaheim <3

The tournament that was supposed to be a shoe-in for an all-VSM winners bracket in top 8 only to turn them into counterpicking schizophrenics on the brink of EVO, the major they'd been training their mains accordingly, for a year.

The tournament where the re-emergence of PL (and KL) sent the community into panic mode after realizing it's not as easy as crouch-blocking all day and waiting for a low hat.

The tournament where Denzell recovered from the biggest whitewash of his life 48 hours prior to beat Perfect Legend twice in matchups where Sub-Zero supposedly had no answers and make grand finals, also giving birth to the bernie.

The tournament where 16 Bit overcame REO's Kabal after a "washed up, figured out" performance at Final Round beforehand.

Moral of the story? Never say never.

But LBSH, MK is dead.
(At MLG for now :()

coolwhip

Noob
MLG Anaheim <3

The tournament that was supposed to be a shoe-in for an all-VSM winners bracket in top 8 only to turn them into counterpicking schizophrenics on the brink of EVO, the major they'd been training their mains accordingly, for a year.

The tournament where the re-emergence of PL (and KL) sent the community into panic mode after realizing it's not as easy as crouch-blocking all day and waiting for a low hat.

The tournament where Denzell recovered from the biggest whitewash of his life 48 hours prior to beat Perfect Legend twice in matchups where Sub-Zero supposedly had no answers and make grand finals, also giving birth to the bernie.

The tournament where 16 Bit overcame REO's Kabal after a "washed up, figured out" performance at Final Round beforehand.

Moral of the story? Never say never.

But LBSH, MK is dead.
(At MLG for now :()
Greatest tournament in MK history.

It's so great that very few people actually talk about the guy who won it when they discuss it, given how much other stuff went down...

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Greatest tournament in MK history.

It's so great that very few people actually talk about the guy who won it when they discuss it, given how much other stuff went down...
Believe me, I was trying to think of a way to fit Detroit in without making him look like he had an easier road than he really did, but it wasn't happening without causing a shitstorm lol.