What's new

Microsoft Buys Smash.gg

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
I think you guys are missing the point yes they bought smash however they have literally no right of any kind to any of the characters in the game so more like like they just bought the game I'm sorry you're not going to see Mario anytime soon on Xbox or Playstation

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think you guys are missing the point yes they bought smash however they have literally no right of any kind to any of the characters in the game so more like like they just bought the game I'm sorry you're not going to see Mario anytime soon on Xbox or Playstation
I thing you're confusing Smash.gg (a website) and the Super Smash Bros game.

They bought a tournament platform, not the videogame :coffee:

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
....why?

I don't mean that in any kind of negative way, I just don't understand.

I don't really see any advantage to actually owning that company.

Like unless MS wants to have built in tournament brackets on Xbox lives backend, so people can setup their own shit for fun.
However, that's such a weird niche feature, and they didn't need to buy them to even do that.

I don't know man.
Money Laundering.

....why?

I don't mean that in any kind of negative way, I just don't understand.

I don't really see any advantage to actually owning that company.

Like unless MS wants to have built in tournament brackets on Xbox lives backend, so people can setup their own shit for fun.
However, that's such a weird niche feature, and they didn't need to buy them to even do that.

I don't know man.
Money Laundering.
Yeah. All of Microsoft's business moves going into this generation I get, but this one I'm not sure about. It'll be interesting to see what they do with this.

Hmmm.... playstation was pretty much the tournament standard last gen for every game i can think of (except online Skullgirls, them fightin’ herds, etc).

I’m curious if this gives them the ability to make XB the tournament standard, at least on Smash GG tournaments?

Hmmm.... playstation was pretty much the tournament standard last gen for every game i can think of (except online Skullgirls, them fightin’ herds, etc).

I’m curious if this gives them the ability to make XB the tournament standard, at least on Smash GG tournaments?
Who knows, maybe that's the direction they're looking to go in. If so, I do hope it means a Killer Instinct 2 will be coming down the pipe.

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
The possibility of them combining it with something else then shutting the site down is a questionable thought. Not like they haven't done it recently
for like mixer

The possibility of them combining it with something else then shutting the site down is a questionable thought. Not like they haven't done it recently
for like mixer
If they do combine it with something and it doesn't work out the way they were hoping, then yes, I could see them shutting it down.

It really depends though what they plan to do with it.

Feel free to quote me on this in a year if I'm wrong, but my feeling is they bought the company because they're doing a XboxSX app integration and they want to

1. Lock down parts of the excellent smash.gg api so they don't have to worry about breaking changes
  2. Prioritize changes they want for the API for the integration
We'll probably get some nice updates to smash.gg and cool integration for the Series X.

To reiterate though, Smash.gg already has a very good open API. If Sony wanted to make sweet integrations with Smash.gg on their console there is nothing stopping them from doing so. Even Microsoft could have been doing Smash.gg apps without really having to acquire it. Microsoft just has more money than god and if they want to buy something just for extra development convenience they actually can.