What's new

Meterless Sektor

Hello Everyone! Chance, here, and I wanted to "stir" the melting pot. Many would say Sektor is a meter intensive character and I undoubtably agree; however, my question is what do you spend your meter on?

The way I have seen most people play Sektor or talk about him is as a character who incorporates meter via ExTele to rack in some truely massive damage. I full hardheartedly agree. It used to be that my main use of meter was in extending the combos I managed to land. However against more skilled players I found that I wasn't getting the most out of the meter I had! I was wasting meter on combos that were broken or I found that I couldn't rack up enough damage due to my dependence on ExTelePunch and use of breakers. Plus let's not ignore the fact that Sektor is pretty bad at building meter. Sure you could missile spam but they will figure out sooner or later a way around and Sektor doesn't pose a major thread when it comes to rushdown either. You end up with a character that builds meter slow but benefits from it as well. So here's my new prospective (not to say the previous one was wrong or that this is better). This is just another way to approach the game as Sektor.

In high-level play matches come down to...
  • Pokes
  • Mind-Games
  • Breakers
Pokes maybe be extended into "Screen Control/Pacing", Mind-Games into "Mix-ups/ Resets" and Breakers into "Meter-Management". Sektor clearly as a great set of pokes. But I found that most players using Sektor did not utilize his mix-up game nor did they manage his meter too well.

I was striving to have more consistent damage while still being able to mount a strong defense. So here's what I resorted to...

• No ExTeleUppers to extend combos
  • No Teleupper Spam
  • ExHM and Breakers
  • Missile Resets
Sektor's ExTele is a wonderful tool to extend combos but it really should only be used sparingly or in a situation where the punch has a could chance to be blocked.

In addition, Sektor's Tele is a great way to punch the opposition. BE SURE TO MAKE YOUR OPPONENT RESPECT IT, NOT LOATHE IT.

ExHoming is IMO Sektor's best tool. It's versatility is just amazing- it can apply pressure and can work as a "psuedo-Breaker".

UpMissle Reset, I haven't heard much mention of this tactic but this is the main reason why I saw it viable to which to a Meterless playing style.

Strings

The Reset(s)

[b3,4+TelePunch]*[f4+UpMis]

Simple, elegant and to the point. The aim is to rush in and after just 4 hits the opponent is puts the opponent in a postion where is only options are to roll, wake-up attack or block. The missile punishes all but the fastest wake-ups and gives you time for a mix up.

[JmpINPunch]*[1,2,b1]*[f4,3+TelePunch]*[1+UpMis]

A more damaging variant that starts with an overhead (if you land JumpPunch) and continues to a safe onblock launcher if the opposition does block. After the TelePunch the Jab "1+UpMis" suspends them in the air so long that they have no options but to block/wake-up. This puts you a position to go in for a mix-up or move about.

[u4,4+TelePunch] OR [u4,4+ExTelePunch]

The OVERHEAD! When your opposition fears your low string throw this at them. I recommend doing the non-Ex when going for a mix-up whilst coming off a missile reset. When used naked you should use the ExTelePunch as its safe on block. I know I know I said no ExMoves but this is a situation where you'd actually benefit from using the "safe on block" ExTele due to the all or nothing aspect of Sektor's overhead.

Homing Missiles

There will come a time when your opponent will figure what your up to and that's when you use the HM! Use it in a reset to chase after rollers or to "psuedo-break" their wake-up attack. Use it at fullscreen againist a zone heavy opponent to get a safe TelePunch or to break their momentum. The fact of the matter is, when used right the HM will give you more opportunities to mount an offense.

The Flash

"But Chance, I love my ExTelePunches mid-combo, damage in general and I love to reset what should I do?!" well we all need to have a flashy combo or two that just gets stuff done. Now mind you all of these combos will give you an additional 6-10% damage if you land a JumpInPunch and an UpMissile or Hm.

[b3,4+TelePunch]*[f4,3+ExTelePunch]*[b2,1] = 44% 1 Meter
[b3,4+TelePunch]*[f4,3+ExTelePunch]*[f4+UpM] = 38 1 Meter + Reset
[1,2,b1]*[f4,3+TelePunch]*[b3,4+ExTelePunch]*[b2,1] = 46% 1 Meter
[1,2,b1]*[f4,3+TelePunch]*[b3,4+ExTelePunch]*[3+UpM] = 38% 1 Meter + Reset
[2,1+TelePunch]*[b2,1]*[b3,4+Telepunch]= 38%
[2,1+TelePunch]*[b2,1]*[b3,4+ExTelepunch]*[b2,1] = 48% 1 Meter
[2,1+TelePunch]*[b2,1]*[b3,4+ExTelepunch]*[f4+UpM] = 41% 1 Meter + Reset
[TelePunch]*[b2,1]*[b3,4+TelePunch] = 31%

There are many more BnB's but these are the ones I feel the most comfortable with. I do want to point out that middle combo that does a meaty 38% for no meter- the timing is tricky but its worth if if you can pull it off its worth it. Also note that you can substitute TelePunch(s) with an UpM or a HM.

The Goal
Chain the resets into one another. Go high the first time, use a low string twice then surprise them with an overhead. Heck! Throw in a jump punch, throw in a cross over jump punch, throw in a throw! I personally advise using a jumppunch in all cases because it essential rules out punishment from a wake up attack and you get a free overhead!

When you combine all of the above you will find that you only go to meter for breakers and HM's. You will be able to apply pressure and make more use of Sektor's mix-up and unique rushdown game. I hope that this post encourages you to explore Sektor's reset potential and revisit meter usage when playing as him. I am in no way discouraging meter intensive play but instead, outlining tactics that can be used with and without meter! Please let me know if you have any questions or what you think.

Robotic

Gentleman.
You put a lot of thought into this thread, so I can respect that.

Having said that, "Sektor's ExTele is a wonderful tool to extend combos but it really should only be used sparingly or in a situation where the punch has a could chance to be blocked.

In addition, Sektor's Tele is a great way to punch the opposition. BE SURE TO MAKE YOUR OPPONENT RESPECT IT, NOT LOATHE IT
."

1. Why should it be used sparingly? We're talking in the middle of a combo, not as a combo starter.

2. The last thing I quoted from you, what does that even mean? If I catch you in 12b1, f44, TU, b34, EXTU, b2, upmissile into the immediate b34 combo starter, you can bet your ass I'm blowing 2 bars of meter for close to 80% total damage. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I recommend using the ExTelePunch sparingly because you can create an advantageous opportunity without meter by putting them in a reset. When you stock bars away you can use them for other things like Breakers or HM. I describe a situation where using an ExTelePunch is actually the way to go By using it as a follow up to Sektor's leglift overhead attack, it puts your opponent in a position to be reset while it covers your tail on the chance that they blocked your overhead.

And the meter combos were to appeal to a more aggressive approach. I wanted to show that you can do big damage and still put them in a rest position. The primary purpose of the guide was to bring the "reset" to light and showing how you can run that reset with or without meter.

Perhaps what I meant with the "Telepunch loathing" is this: if you don't use it a lot the opponent will spend the better part of a round blocking at long distance fearing a Telepunch. This gives you the time to spam rockets and build some meter, shoot the breeze, chat with friends. THE moment they do think their able to spam projectiles or jump willy-nilly that's when you Telepunch. Its like implementing the subtle mind game of "When is he going to teleport?". You bounce between teaching people to respect the move...make them forget about it.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
2. The last thing I quoted from you, what does that even mean? If I catch you in 12b1, f44, TU, b34, EXTU, b2, upmissile into the immediate b34 combo starter, you can bet your ass I'm blowing 2 bars of meter for close to 80% total damage. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
I've found when it comes to to ending a combo in upmissle the better option is f4 up missle. Nearly every character can wakeup attack you on reaction when you do b2 up missle but with f4 up missle you'll have time to block.

Thing is though if they techroll then wakeup (which people rarely do to get out) then they can hit you after f4 up missle, but if they techroll after b2 up missle then they get blocked. Not exactly a mixup against anybody who knows about it but I've yet to play anyone who would catch me out everytime.

I use f4 more ofc because not many people think to roll then wakeup.

Sorry went off topic there just thought it was something worth considering.

On topic: EX TU and breaker is the best use of meter ofc, both as a combo ender and wakeup attack you can still do it to in open space sometimes though. In combo's ex TU adds around 10-15%. In your bigger bnb's like 12b1 jk TU jk ex TU etc it's only about 10% but in smaller combo's like air jk trades into TU then f43 ex TU it adds up to 15% I think.

Tbh I usually do ex TU to extend combo's whenever i have meter and I know they won't breaker the ex TU hit but if you really wanted to be as efficient as possible with your meter then you'd use ex TU most of the time in the smaller combo's rather then your larger ones as it add's more damage.

As far as meter building goes the best way to build meter with any1 is safe block strings. 122 straight missle/ or flame depending on who your playing does 7% chip has to be stand blocked for the 3rd hit and builds half a bar which is nice. It's a lot better against characters like raiden who have bigger crouching hit box's as 12 hits all the time. Against some like reptile who's crouching hitbox is much smaller I guess you have to do 21 strings if they're always crouching.

You get a free 122 missle/ flame string each time to get blocked after d4 hits.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
id advise against spamming TU even if its enhanced, if they know every other move is going to be a teleport uppercut they're going to be a lot more on the ball with their blocking which pretty much means your uppercut will never land if you do it off the bat, which is obviously a waste of meter. I find with sektor i save meter for breakers constantly, as you have to rely on predicting and reading your opponent you need those bars should you make a mistake or a bad read.

meterless with sektor i rely heavily on his zoning capabilities, if they get too close either flamethrower or poke at them with B1 or F2, i personally dont think there is any point doing a homing missile at the end of strings because they key goal is to get them either move or try and hit you which will make the rocket connect giving you a full combo, this really is nothing a well timed regular up rocket cant do.

you dont need to agree with me but i find many sektor players use their meter way too much, take up a strong style and figure out what you want to do without meter and take my word for it. He is NOT powerless without using meter, you can always save meter and catch them in a regular combo for 48% one bar so just be careful to not waste any with pointless HM's or TE's

id advise against spamming TU even if its enhanced, if they know every other move is going to be a teleport uppercut they're going to be a lot more on the ball with their blocking which pretty much means your uppercut will never land if you do it off the bat, which is obviously a waste of meter. I find with sektor i save meter for breakers constantly, as you have to rely on predicting and reading your opponent you need those bars should you make a mistake or a bad read.

meterless with sektor i rely heavily on his zoning capabilities, if they get too close either flamethrower or poke at them with B1 or F2, i personally dont think there is any point doing a homing missile at the end of strings because they key goal is to get them either move or try and hit you which will make the rocket connect giving you a full combo, this really is nothing a well timed regular up rocket cant do.

you dont need to agree with me but i find many sektor players use their meter way too much, take up a strong style and figure out what you want to do without meter and take my word for it. He is NOT powerless without using meter, you can always save meter and catch them in a regular combo for 48% one bar so just be careful to not waste any with pointless HM's or TE's

You essentially just repeated everything I originally posted, glad you agree.

JkOC

Noob
Does the upmissle reset work a lot? I havnt used and just wanted to know how effective it is. I mostly use my meter for breakers, extele, and homing missle. Always looking for new stuff to use. And could be a good way to alternate tacticts and stay unpredictable from round to round. Good stuff.

Does the upmissle reset work a lot? I havnt used and just wanted to know how effective it is. I mostly use my meter for breakers, extele, and homing missle. Always looking for new stuff to use. And could be a good way to alternate tacticts and stay unpredictable from round to round. Good stuff.
It works as well as you can guess bud. You throw an UpMissile After a f4 and they can only do so much (they'll block the first 2 times before they try to get out of the trap). When the missile is coming down you rush in and choose a mix-upstring. I recommend [b3,4] as it hits low and they'll mostly likely block high if they have never seen this tactic. Hopefully you connect and you can [b3,4+TelePunch] into [f4+UpMissile] and go in for another mix-up. You should vary your approach. JumpINpunch sometimes or even through out a Homing Missile if they consider trying to move out of the trap. Here's the sequence that I have followed before...

[TelePunch]-[fb+UpMissile]-[JumpInpunch, b3,4+TelePunch]-[fb+UpMissile] (continues to next line)
[JumpInpunch, b3,4+TelePunch]-[fb+UpMissile]-[Dash+u3,4+ExTelePunch]-[b2,1]

This sequel is ruthless and does about 80%+ damage when all is said in done. Of course you may get breaker'd somewhere in the mix but that's good...that means you got their attention haha. Notice 2/3 chains go low and the last goes overhead- I like to apply the rules of 3's to mix-ups. Once you hit them the same way twice they expect it the 3rd time and that's when you say "Hell no, I got this." But your overhead is covered with an ExTelePunch so if by some reason they block the overhead and your committed to your TelePunch it's safe on block because its an Ex. So your safe. Also note, you can continue this chain for quite some time...if they roll away or get too comfortable with wake-up attacks use a Homing Missile.

In short, yes it works. It may not be a sure fire-reset but you have so many options and ways to tailor it is honestly one of Sektor's more viable playing styles. I recommend this form of play when your low on meter and want to stay on offense. I personally use my meter for Breakers and to create more offensive opportunities with Homing Missiles.

I like to do flame thrower as combo ender to prevent the wake up altogether.
True! I actually never thought of it like that but that's a good tactic should you want to continue the upclose pressure. My personal preference is to us [b2,1] just because it knocks them down and I can scurry back a few steps and start up my long-range game. As I have said Sektor is a very diverse character with a lot of options and he should be played as such. Once the character learns that your a menace at range they'll rush in and get burned by the flamethrower. Once they learn what your capable of when it comes to resets and damage they'll play it safe and dump all their breakers into ruining your strings. Win win win!

True! I actually never thought of it like that but that's a good tactic should you want to continue the upclose pressure. My personal preference is to us [b2,1] just because it knocks them down and I can scurry back a few steps and start up my long-range game. As I have said Sektor is a very diverse character with a lot of options and he should be played as such. Once the character learns that your a menace at range they'll rush in and get burned by the flamethrower. Once they learn what your capable of when it comes to resets and damage they'll play it safe and dump all their breakers into ruining your strings. Win win win!
if you want to 'scurry back to zoning' you can always end the combo in 11b1 instead of b21 without sacrificing hardly any damage, i feel 21~flamethrower is a better ender then b2~flamethrower since it leaves your opponent a bit further away.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
This depends if you want them far away. Some match ups I would rather have them standing AND close. It's awesome that Sektor has a lot of different options and the end of every combo depending on where he wants the opponent and if he wants to bait a wake up or not.

Allow me to bring this topic back from the grave! I was thinking (as most Sektor's player do- think). After the latest tier list dropped everyone is has been split between "those that accept the tier list" and "those that wish to push their player to the top". You know where I'm going with this...LETS PUT SEKTOR on top (ambitious I know). I bring this topic back up because I believe it looks at strategies "with and without meter" as well as some interesting ways to maximum damage and build pressure!