What's new

Strategy Meter Building

ryublaze

Noob
I never see Sub-Zero players use Ice Clone/Slide to meter build in these situations and I haven't seen it being talked about so what are your thoughts? With the new increased freeze duration I think Sub-Zero players should use this more even if it's just a tiny bit of meter gain.

After a combo like B1, 2, Ice Ball you can dash up and use Ice Clone (which disappears) then go for a jip, B1, 2, 1. Can't go for the NJP combo though.

At midscreen if you froze an opponent you can dash twice and use an Ice Clone then go for a jip combo.

At fullscreen if you froze an opponent you can Slide and it barely reaches the opponent. Then you can go for a xjp combo.

After trading projectile with EX Ice Ball you can use an Ice Clone (sends you at fullscreen) and Slide afterwards then go for a xjp combo.

In the corner if you are planning on taking out Slide at the end of the combo you can replace it with Ice Clone.

This has probably been common knowledge but I just want to know your thoughts about it.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
The new "increased" freeze duration is only 1/6th of a second.
It's like nothing...but if that stuff works, then more Sub Zero players should do it up.

Panque

Random foreign guy
Idk, most of the stuff you mentioned seems to trade a bit of damage (wich is already a big weakness for SZ) for a tiny bit of meter. And IMO SZ is one of the less meter-dependent characters in the game. Breakers and his X-Ray are the best uses for it in most matches.
Also, if you hit an opponent from full-screen with ice blast, you probably will get hit by his projectile as well (unless it's a bad player or something rare occurs). This makes the slide thing impracticable in most matches.

But i feel like I need to think more about that to build a final opinion.

Metalic

Noob
Now I haven't tried it yet so correct me if I'm wrong, but on the topic of the corner whiff:

If I'm thinking right, the recovery between a being able to place the next clone after a whiffed one takes longer than them being able to preform a wakeup attack/get up. If you can put one up before they recover, it basically puts you in the same position as slide does, without the extra damage.

The clone after a point blank 22/B12~freeze starter is viable and works fine, but my only problem is the timing is a bit strict. If you mess up even the slightest, you just dropped a combo for like 1/16th of a meter. Really just about all of that works, but the ever so slight meter gain isn't worth it with Sub-Zero. He only really uses meter for breakers and X-Ray, EX slide or EX freeze is specific matchups (mostly mirrors). Most of his meter will come from B121 follow-up pressure, 212~clone builds nearly half a meter itself.

So it's not that it won't work or shouldn't be used, it's just SZ doesn't go through meter enough for it to be worth it, for me at least. Correct me if I'm wrong on anything, because if so, I'd love extra knowledge.
EDIT: Tried it out, edited my post a bit. Still not sure if you can do a clone before they get up. It doesn't seem it, but my execution is just god awful right now

ryublaze

Noob
Ok forget the clone in the corner thingy that was just pointless. but the b1, 2, freeze, dash, clone, jip works fine unless the opponenth as a breaker. If he breaks then you won't be able to clone for a few seconds. The timing isn't hard offline but you might drop it online.