What's new

Question mediocre player In need of help

RetroPhysic

Woo Hoo!
During my time I've been playing mkx I've been really so so about the game. Watching amazing matches by top level players,hype crowds, and the some what friendly community but the problem is my knowledge of the game over all. I'm mediocre I know some stuff about frames like start up block adv etc but I'm steady finding myself in a drought because I end up on a steady losing streak. I have asked players for help but they beat up on me with out actually telling me that I'm doing anything wrong. What I turned here for is to see if any players on PSN would be willing to help me out and up grade my game play because I'm so tired of constantly losing.

Anonymiz

who want it!
During my time I've been playing mkx I've been really so so about the game. Watching amazing matches by top level players,hype crowds, and the some what friendly community but the problem is my knowledge of the game over all. I'm mediocre I know some stuff about frames like start up block adv etc but I'm steady finding myself in a drought because I end up on a steady losing streak. I have asked players for help but they beat up on me with out actually telling me that I'm doing anything wrong. What I turned here for is to see if any players on PSN would be willing to help me out and up grade my game play because I'm so tired of constantly losing.
get your basics down ; sweeps jip njp uppercuts etc. The game is all timing so once u get those down you can win most matches with some basics learn a few combs them link them with specials and mix it up while playing. Keep them guessing!

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
get your basics down ; sweeps jip njp uppercuts etc. The game is all timing so once u get those down you can win most matches with some basics learn a few combs them link them with specials and mix it up while playing. Keep them guessing!
Sweeps and uppercuts are barely used in the meta of this game for some reason, so I would focus more on spacing/ trip guarding
Getting used to counter poking with normals
Learning the casts' strings and their holes/ punishes

Also imo it's vital to get down the timing for oki pressure and be able to time whether the person is waking up/ staying down/ or just normal stand

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I cant play tonight, but I wouldn't mind playing with you sometime. I am no professional but I could possibly help, and if not it could still be some decent practice for the both of us.

As for what I can help with here, my biggest tip would be to really try and get used to/learn what moves your opponent's characters use often, when they are typically used, how to block them correctly, and then punish. Once I got more familiar with what to expect from most of my opponents (especially up close) I felt like my game improved quite a bit.

omooba

fear the moobs
dude just pick kung jin and grind. like for real sooo many people have asked me and the only thing that wroks is picking kung jun and grinding. he's like basically the most basic mkx character. he has easy combos to learn and really good normals so he almost garuantees you'll learn all the game's mechanics except space control. he's like basically the most basic mkx character

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Learn to block. That's one of the most of important things I'd say. Then you learn how to punish when you block. Then you learn how to punish when somebody whiffs. Then you learn how to bait. Congrats, you're awesome at fighting games - once you get the muscle memory down it's all down to your mind :p

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Punishes are most vital. My cousin plays MKX because he watches me play MKX and he only learns 2 combos with a character and just rinses and repeats. That will always lock you into being mediocre. A key to victory is unpredictability. I know exactly what he's doing so I get full punishes and he can simply never win. Learning how to punish can be difficult but it's imperative. Learn the most common characters unsafe attacks. Sub zero/scorpion/Kung Jin/Kung Lao/Ermac/Lui Kang (in no specific order)

Lastly you can't replace wisdom. Experience is absolutely vital. So just keep playing. Something I do if you don't care about your W/L. When I fight somebody that I can't beat, whether its cause they're better or they're doing some time of zoning I cant get passed, I will keep rematching till I can beat them. Learn their patterns and flaws and exploit.

Krunchy

Noob
Add me (KrunchyKibbles).

I'm sort of in the opposite boat. I know about 80% of what there is to learn about this game but am held back by mostly a lack of practice/experience. Let's play some matches some time and maybe we can train each other a bit.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Cassie cage (brawler) d'vorah (swarm queen) and Sonya (demolition)
With cassie use b12 as your whiff punisher. If they block do b124. After they block it you get a free d3. If you think there going to block your d3 then do a f3 df1 or a throw. End your combos with tackle. It gives you good knockdown to do mixups after. With d'vorah use f112 in neutral. On block cancel it into df1 and run cancel that. After that you can do a 50/50 between b1 and f2. If F1 hits do f11 and cancel that into ex df1 for a full combo. Use her d4 as a poke in neutral. If it's blocked your safe and if it's hit you get free pressure. I don't know much about sonya so I recommend going into the characters forum and asking players in the general discussion for some guidance.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
If you run dry with your character try youtubing setups/traps/tech sometimes you'll see something interesting. I've found some things on there that I'd never of thought of. Alot of it won't be useful or you will already be using but every now and then you can learn some cool stuff.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
My advice would be to never call yourself a mediocre player. In fact, I would avoid ever rating my skill level at all.

Fighting games can take months, if not years, to get the hang of, and it is safe to assume that the grand majority of players you go up against who solidly defeat you in multiple sets are far more experienced than you. Just focus on getting a little bit better every time you play, and you will find yourself getting a lot better in no time.

IME, it helps to do an honest accounting of your strength's and weaknesses' as a player, and then take aside the list of aspects you are particularly weak at, and work on them one by one. Don't just try to improve at everything at once, choose a particular aspect and work at it until you are satisfied.

The best way to decide which aspect of your game you should work on next should be its convenience, rather than its urgency. Fix the easy stuff first, then gradually work your way over to the more difficult areas of your game.

You mentioned a lack of concrete understanding of frame data: The easy fix for that is to jump on Google and read away at any article that attempts to explain the theory of frame data. Perfect place to start.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Best tip i can give out is to avoid playing ranked, most people on there are really bad and really won't help you get better. Try to play people from here.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
My advice (I'm new to) is to read all the sticky threads and this forum. Also, read my 'How Do You Train' thread - the responses are pretty damn well written. In that thread is a guy named Protaganist - click on his profile and find his breakdowns of the pros type threads.

Knowing your character's strength and weaknesses is very important. I personally haven't studied any frame rate data (I'm old and I'm so use to the 'eye test' which really doesn't work nowadays but I'm stubborn) but the most important thing I learned was what my fastest moves are for things like punishing or playing in neutral. Trying to learn everyone's frame rate data metrics takes a bit of time so I personally wouldn't bother with it.

When you practice combos that you can find in the TYM forums, don't try those long ass things until you got a really good feel for your character. Do the simple ones and build from there. Practice them but when you go online you may frustrate yourself when the timing is off and you keep dropping them.

I've come to my own conclusion recently when it comes to online. What I do, besides ranked matches, is go into the player rooms and pick the first person I see that I have a 0% win chance against and play them. Once you start getting matches in, those will be the guys will be the ones that have some decent knowledge of the game. Don't worry about losing to them (try to hit the rematch button as often as possible; most are W whores who will rematch) because the most important thing you need from them is the Match Replay. Watch them and first pick out all your "dumb mistakes" and then look at what they did to you to put you in that situation.

And finally, ask as many questions around here as possible. I probably annoy 90% of the Mileena forum or any stream I get into. Swallow the pride and ask them everything once you get their ear. We'd probably never be able to drop a MK diss record once/if we become good at the game because they'll remember our noob asses and we'd get Meek Mill'd but whatever haha

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Which character are you playing?

Start from the bottom up.

Practice the basics, blocking, and punishing block attacks. Learn one good BnB that you can also do off a the punish, if you let me know which character you are playing I can basically tell you what it is. Focus on blocking your opponents attacks, and just applying this one BnB. If you can block well and just punish for 30% or so each time, you will do well enough. From there, just play and decide what you feel like you want to add to your game as you go.

omooba

fear the moobs
My advice would be to never call yourself a mediocre player. In fact, I would avoid ever rating my skill level at all.

Fighting games can take months, if not years, to get the hang of, and it is safe to assume that the grand majority of players you go up against who solidly defeat you in multiple sets are far more experienced than you. Just focus on getting a little bit better every time you play, and you will find yourself getting a lot better in no time.

IME, it helps to do an honest accounting of your strength's and weaknesses' as a player, and then take aside the list of aspects you are particularly weak at, and work on them one by one. Don't just try to improve at everything at once, choose a particular aspect and work at it until you are satisfied.

The best way to decide which aspect of your game you should work on next should be its convenience, rather than its urgency. Fix the easy stuff first, then gradually work your way over to the more difficult areas of your game.

You mentioned a lack of concrete understanding of frame data: The easy fix for that is to jump on Google and read away at any article that attempts to explain the theory of frame data. Perfect place to start.
lies if ur mediocre you'll now your mediocre. acceptance is the first step to recovery. for example i used to be mediocre and after grinding since mkx came out i'm now just ass and soon, very soon i'll be managable

Xx-TGODPRINCE-Xx

New Patch!!!
HMU psn - XxTGODPRINCEXx

Terrencify

Jacqui The Feint God
Eh I need sets with people aswell cause I'm ass.

Psn - SwaggTheRoy ( write something in the message box so ik you're from tym ) I get fr daily.