What's new

Maximizing Speeds from a wired connection on Playstation 4. What do?

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
What's the deal with the PS4 and 3, for this matter, not using the entire 50 megabyte down wired connection speed I'm trying to give them through an ethernet cable? How do I work around this without breaking my house's internet?
Through the same cord, my computer goes above 50 megabytes down and 10-15 MB upload per second, PS4 is 11 down and like, 2 up.
Ayyy, that's not as ideal as possible.
Are my consoles just joking around here, or what?

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
I have the same problem man, after coming from my xbox 360 to the online on the ps4 I was like what? I ended up having to buy a powerline adapter to make things slightly better.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I don't understand either. My PS3 would play flawless wireless but my PS4 doesn't play at all wireless. My laptop goes 50 with no prob, but when I plug in my PS4 directly it still only reaches about 14/5 on average.

I don't have any lag at all when there's good connections, but still, what gives??

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
This is what I managed to find for PS4: http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/25iqfb/how_to_improve_connection_speed_on_ps4/

After buying my PS4 I noticed my connection speed was extremely slow compared to my connection on my PC and other devices. I would be getting 50down/4up on my PC, and around 8down/2up on my PS4. This lead to painstakingly slow downloads on my PS4. A 2GB file would take around 40 minutes which is unacceptable, especially considering digital downloads becoming more popular.

I'm aware several question-type threads about this have come up around here, but I have seen few solutions. After searching Google, I did find a solution that actually has fixed my speeds. I haven't seen a thread like this, and searched and didn't find one, but if there has been one, I apologize, but hopefully this will help people who don't know about this.

Basically, changing your primary and secondary DNS servers will usually give you speed a big increase.

Steps:

• Go to "Settings".
  • Go to "Network".
  • Go to "Set Up Internet Connection"
  • Select Wifi/LAN depending on what you use to connect.
  • Select "Custom".
  • IP Address Settings = Automatic
  • DHCP Host Name = Do Not Specify
  • DNS Settings = Manual
    • Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
    • Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4
  • MTU Settings: Automatic
  • Proxy Server: Do Not Use
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are a Google DNS server from what I understand, and using those has helped a ton of people with their speed, HOWEVER, those did NOT help me. Try it. If it doesn't work, I'd recommending downloading "Namebench"

, which is a program that checks for the best DNS server for your connection. It takes 5-10 minutes to run and will then tell you the best DNS servers to use.
I understand there are probably several different ways to do this, and several different setups, however, this worked for me. DMZ and other custom things didn't help me, but you can also try those setups.

After doing this setup, turn off your PS4, wait 5-10 minutes, and recheck your connection speed on your PS4. After doing this, I saw my speeds increase over double, to around 23down/4up.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
This is what I managed to find for PS4: http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/25iqfb/how_to_improve_connection_speed_on_ps4/

After buying my PS4 I noticed my connection speed was extremely slow compared to my connection on my PC and other devices. I would be getting 50down/4up on my PC, and around 8down/2up on my PS4. This lead to painstakingly slow downloads on my PS4. A 2GB file would take around 40 minutes which is unacceptable, especially considering digital downloads becoming more popular.

I'm aware several question-type threads about this have come up around here, but I have seen few solutions. After searching Google, I did find a solution that actually has fixed my speeds. I haven't seen a thread like this, and searched and didn't find one, but if there has been one, I apologize, but hopefully this will help people who don't know about this.

Basically, changing your primary and secondary DNS servers will usually give you speed a big increase.

Steps:

• Go to "Settings".
  • Go to "Network".
  • Select "Custom".
  • DNS Settings = Manual
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are a Google DNS server from what I understand, and using those has helped a ton of people with their speed, HOWEVER, those did NOT help me. Try it. If it doesn't work, I'd recommending downloading "Namebench"

, which is a program that checks for the best DNS server for your connection. It takes 5-10 minutes to run and will then tell you the best DNS servers to use.
I understand there are probably several different ways to do this, and several different setups, however, this worked for me. DMZ and other custom things didn't help me, but you can also try those setups.

After doing this setup, turn off your PS4, wait 5-10 minutes, and recheck your connection speed on your PS4. After doing this, I saw my speeds increase over double, to around 23down/4up.
HUGE. Will do, you hero.

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips

Steps:

• Go to "Settings".
  • Go to "Network".
  • Select "Custom".
  • DNS Settings = Manual

Yeah i've tried this and it works wonders lol

MCPeePants

Bout it
Question...

For a fighting game, is download or upload more important? I get weird responses... I can either have 60up/10 down on the regular DNS or 40up/35down with the namebench recommended DNS.