What's new

Math Problem: 3 Base Variations can't cover all special moves.

Lokheit

Noob
Basically what the title says. We've been hearing about "3 base variations" being planned to cover all moves each character has. The problem is, 3 base variations are 9 slots and when you add up the slots of each character's special moves, you always end up with way more than that (for many 4 variations wouldn't be enough), so apparently if they take this route they won't cover everything.

Personally, rather than being forced to X other moves if I want an specific move (for example, I might want to keep Slide so I don't want Kold Shoulder for Sub-Zero, but a move I want is on a Kold Shoulder build so I can't use the Slide), I think a quick window where you can tick on and off special moves, with the custom variations serving quick access to specific builds, would be ideal so you can quickly change move on the select screen for match ups.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Yes, I noticed that too. Ed in an interview mentioned how there are no moves in the game that aren't in the 3 "regulated" variations for competitive play.

This means one of two things:
  • Competitive variations for Ranked and Tournament play actually have more moves in them giving them more depth.
  • Ed was mistaken, some moves are for custom variations only.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
i think certain moves take up more slots than others. i heard something about the rewind time move taking up three individual move slots in a variation list, while some only take one or two.

Riomarz

Noob
Actually, not one developer has said there are 3 base variations, those were assumptions being made.
Character presets vary upon character, some have more, some have less. Paulo even said they hope to add more presets in the future.
Well if it wasn't confirmed before it is now. Theres an interview with Ed Boon and Angry Joe, Ed confirms there are in fact 3 base variations in the game that is strictly used for competitive and to "even" the playing field.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Well if it wasn't confirmed before it is now. Theres an interview with Ed Boon and Angry Joe, Ed confirms there are in fact 3 base variations in the game that is strictly used for competitive and to "even" the playing field.
I remember seeing another interview and different dev said the same thing, I think it might have been Paulo.

Definitely only three variations.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Well I know for sure Paulo definitely commented on the possibility of adding more competitive presets... I dunno, I don't think that should be too much of a problem?
Maybe the Tournament presets have more moves/slots in them, or maybe there ARE moves left out of the competitive presets, but they're the more minor things like bonus Amplify versions or i.e, while the truly completely unique new moves are indeed covered by the predefined variations.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Maybe only three were available in the demo. I have heard a bunch of times that standard variations may not be limted to three.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
For competitive play I sure hope its not more than 3, even though its basically guaranteed the same problem as MKX will show up once more (there is only one "right" choice when it comes to a character variation) adding a fourth variation just means you have to learn so much more potential matchups, and failing that its just another dead weight variation. 3 should be the absolute max.

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
I feel like they'll probably break the rules a little for the presets for the sake of fitting all the moves into 3 (if 3 is indeed the case). We'll probably see most of the presets using more like 4-5 slots worth of moves, if i had to guess.

Crimea

Noob
I noticed Sonya had two different turret abilities that cannot be used in the same preset. But It would be odd to have two competitive variations around the turret.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I think a quick window where you can tick on and off special moves, with the custom variations serving quick access to specific builds, would be ideal so you can quickly change move on the select screen for match ups.
Chaos Code did this, plus you could choose between run or dash, I don't get it why NRS can not make this... balance concerns my ass.

Reactions: SGX

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
Quiet. The fun police will be here any second.
:DOGE

My guess is some of them will never see tournament play, ex: Geras timer manipulation.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
I don’t think Ed’s statement can be taken at face value. I’m not saying it was a conscious lie, but I don’t think Ed is as plugged into the intricacies and all the design choices as some might think. Had Paulo made the same statement I’d give it more credence. Ed even said it’s still being hashed out. Ed never definitively said how many variations there would be. He was sort of noncommittal about that.

Ed boon also said that the PC version was going to be just like console....

I’m calling it now, feel free to blow me up later, there are moves in the game for characters that were not designed for, and will not be usable in, competitive play.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
FYI, this is what Paulo said. It's not out of character for Ed to misspeak.

https://twitter.com/EGPWonderChef/status/1086057328841912320

"Paulo said that in competitive MK11, each character is gonna have preset balanced variations to choose from. Different characters might have different amounts, and they want to try to release more for characters over time."

Heavily implies "3 variations per character" isn't a thing. Sounds like some might have 3, some might have 5.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
FYI, this is what Paulo said. It's not out of character for Ed to misspeak.

https://twitter.com/EGPWonderChef/status/1086057328841912320

"Paulo said that in competitive MK11, each character is gonna have preset balanced variations to choose from. Different characters might have different amounts, and they want to try to release more for characters over time."

Heavily implies "3 variations per character" isn't a thing. Sounds like some might have 3, some might have 5.
Reading those replies makes me so confident in my choice to not be on Twitter.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Not only is chaos code super well balanced, everybody loves it and has heard of it before!
I don't know if it is well balanced, but there is a competitive scene in japan and a a little community in USA. It isn't that popular (in USA) because is an indie game with low budget, it hasn't the marketing other games have. But is a decent game and the fact you can choose your special or type of movement is not the issue behind the game's balance, all games without variations will always have balance issues btw.