What's new

Strategy Matchup "cheat sheet"

dabuz

Noob
Posting this here for the sake of generating discussion. This is just a list outlining how I like to approach each MU and what I feel works. I am an online only player (ATM, eventually there are gonna be tournies I can get to :x) so some MUs like Doomsday will be significantly different offline.

Note that by dash in range, I am referring to the max distance where you can dash in and do b1 or f2, it's also the range where jump ins work as a mixup. Dash in range is also the same as b2 and db1 range but I like to specify when I heavily prefer b2 and db1 because the better set of options generally depends on the character. I don't mention wakeups since with a few exceptions, they are all similar to deal with.

With a few exceptions, I don't mention d1 because it's a good assumption that if you need to get some out of your face, a 6 frame safe cancel-able mid poke is a great option almost always.

Aquaman - Ahhh, the ditto. Try to stay in dash in distance and go for the instant launcher mixups. From the deep is punishable with a reversal FTD by both sides and being able to do the reversable is a huge part of winning this matchup. Try to control interactibles and bait the opponent into whiffing his attacks, by nature of this being a mirror MU, the rest is just who makes the better reads/ who knows the character more.

Ares - FTD is not punishable on block and it will stop a teleport (unless it's a getup teleport), any projectile hitting Ares with stop a weapon while it's being thrown. Aquaman can't win a projectile battle with Ares because of teleport, so rushing Ares down is the best option, he struggles to deal with the pressure and can't punish good spacing. Watch out and learn to punish teleports since no good Ares is going to let you approach without taking a teleport mixup. God smash (or w/e it's called) is hard to react to when used as a mixup but whiffing it leaves Ares full combo punishable. Wake up teleport has invincibility.

Bane - With venom, all his specials have armor so Aquaman has to watch out for a lot of trades. The dash attack is easy to jump over and punish with MB FTD. Not really sure how to approach this MU against a good Bane.

Batgirl - N/A haven't fought enough Batgirls.

Batman - Stay right outside of j2 range, that way Aquaman can use all of his ranged attack tools and still utilize his mixups. Don't be too far away or batman can summon bats and get an approach for free. His mixups and crossups are easy to react to and he he can't punish Aquaman hard on block. Good D2s will beat his J2. Water shield + meter burn nullifies Batman's options and it's a great way to hold a life lead. Batman is one of the hardest characters to approach because of bats and b23 so don't let him get a big life lead.

Black Adam - Dive kick is punishable with D2, J2, and J3. Hits high on almost everything, lightning is a reactable low and MB lightning locks down Aquaman for another lightning. Try to stay at dash in distance ALWAYS and be extremely aggressive in going for mixups, be prepared to double dash or use FTD in order to punish BA's backdash.

Catwoman - MB catdash is obnoxiously safe, d1 pokes will stuff a lot of catwoman's pressure and d1 -> trident rush on block or hit puts aquaman in the perfect position for anything. B2, DB1 range or b1 footsie range is optimal in this MU but really, Aquaman can play wherever he feels most comfortable dealing with Catwoman's options. Respect the whip. Water shield MB is a great way to keep the lead.

Cyborg - Grappling hook makes tries to full screen projectile fight Cyborg difficult, instead inch up and wait for openings to use FTD unless at dash in range. Cyborg's grappling hook has invincibility but landing leaves him with little options. Cyborg CANNOT fight aquaman at b12 range so that's the range to be at always.

Deathstroke - Find openings to use FTD, bait out sword spin for full punish, win at dash in range, block dash to approach, the easiest projectile camping character to fight. (Probably because good online deathstrokes don't exist *sigh*)

Doomsday - Most a mindgame/ read based MU because Doomsday has lots of gap closers and strings Aquaman has to account for and know how to react to. Trident rush MB lasts for almost the entirety of his trait. EQ is annoying online and winning this MU comes down mostly to if the connection is good enough to consistently block that high/ low. D1 pokes all day after Doomsday does a gap closer. If Doomsday does MB nova, forward dash -> B3 punish is sexy. Not really sure if there's any good methodology to this MU.

Flash - Dash in distance, water of life breaks just about every combos and MB water shield is the best way to stall for time when water of life is down. Flash has lots of overhead/ low mixups at close range and his counter is a good way to avoid interactibles. Flash also has the speed to get close but no actual safe approaches IIRC. FTD is a nice way to punish flash for being overzealous in approaching. Straightforward matchup.

Green Arrow - Dash in distance, use FTD to punish the wakeup where green arrow jumps back and shoots an arrow. FTD punish an arrow pull and forces Green Arrow to be aggressive if he wants to win. Green Arrow has nice mixups at jump in distance and REALLY safe strings (d1 -> ice arrow can't be interrupted with trading AM's d1 for an ice arrow). Be greedy in clashes because most good green arrows like saving meter for their super setups. The key here is to never be afraid of the character and instead challenge his offense because in the corner he is a nightmare.

Green Lantern - The character is best as Aquaman's dash in range but he doesn't have many options anywhere on screens, it's just that his options are REALLY good. Try to dash in and out a lot to bait his attacks then punish? Really tough MU it seems, standard Aquaman play is ineffective. Can D1 and D2 poke his low -> high string but NOT his low -> mid. Still figuring out how I want to approach this matchup.

Harley Quinn - At close range she has some slow high/ low mixups but at anything farther than that all she is a safe (?) low with tantrum stance. Air gun shot is punishable with dash in -> d2. Aquaman can toss tridents between her grounded gunshots. B2 barely outranges her tantrum stance and leaves her without options basically. If you can fight Green Arrow the same tactics apply to Harley except it's an easier matchup overall.z

Hawkgirl - j2 if she's hovering in the air, j3 is you read a mace charge. Mace charge is safe on block (I think, never actually checked in the lab) but she doesn't have good followups for it due to terrible range on her normals. I don't have a specific strategy for this MU besides emphasizing my jump attacks. Don't fear her mace throws (terribly slow).

To be continued later

dabuz

Noob
Continuing finally

Joker - A very easy MU, FTD is safe and Joker can't do much to approach Aquaman when on the ground spacing properly and in the air D2 beats all his options. B3 is also really good in this MU because it has so much range compared to Joker's attacks.

Killer Frost - Counterpick another character...JK. Killer Frost struggles punishing Aquaman in the air and the hitbox on J3 is huge, if timed well it will consistently stuff her slide and give AM a full 40% combo punish. FTD is unsafe. Wakeup invincibility on slide means challenging her wakeup is baaaaaad. Her air dash is crap and J1/ J2 is better than all her air options (J1 for close range air combat, J2 for mid/ long range air combat). Don't attempt to mix her up at any range where she can F3, it's a bad risk/ reward scenario when considering her reset. Any spacing outside of her F3 works. You can grab KF after slide on block before she can do a d1 poke, forcing a good KF to respect you and jump, backdash, armored F3, or grab break after a slide.

Lex Luthor -These don't exist online, but I can't imagine this MU isn't the most free MU in the game, just don't let yourself get punished by corp charge. (Trident rush is safe on block vs. Corp Charge)

Lobo - Charge attack without meter is unsafe on block, meter or no meter the charge attack can be jumped over. DJ3 is easy to stuff with D2. The mixups for this character are slow at any range, but he can utilize chain mixups at mid range on the screen. His close range vortex is annoying and requires completely ballsy 50-50s to escape. Full range projectile pressure make it hard for him to approach. MB water shield completely shuts down his approach options and resets the situation to Aquaman keeping full screen pressure distance. Focus on getting the first attack out at any range and abuse Lobo's lack of an intimidating wakeup game (outside of metered charge attack)

Nightwing - For escrima form, treat this like it's the Flash MU but watch out for air wing dings. For staff form, lightning blastdoesn't track dashes and reading one lets Aquaman dash once -> attack or do a safe double dash. Note that meter may track (I forget). On block MB lightning blast leaves NW with frame advantage for a free lightning blast. Flying Grayson is safe on block but duck -> D2 is an easy punish on reaction. Jumping in is the WORST way to try and approach because of that kick. Aggressively control space and DON'T risk getting cornered, while that's a general MU rule, NW specifically has a brutal corner pressure game. Another MU where dash in range is preferred, but because NW has extremely quick ranged attacks, doing AM's slower moves like B2 or F3 is liable to leave AM getting stuffed. B3 is nice because will shift his hitbox out of the way of NW's staff attacks. MASTER d1 -> special of your choice for this MU, there's no other reliable way to escape and punish NW's staff attacks really up close.

Raven - PATIENCE, anything but max screen range FTD or Trident Toss = punished, anticipating a soul crush and throwing Trident Toss gives AM a favorable trade. Soul Crush on block lets Aquaman dash TWICE safely, the raven projectile does't have enough cooldown to let AM dash. Opt for heavy rushdown and constant dash in pressure to abuse Raven's slow startup and terrible range normals along with the fact that Soul Crush is unsafe at a range where 1 dash in leaves AM at b2 range. I can't emphasize going for constant pressure with mixups. Raven's soul crush is invincible on wakeup but also punishable if baited out, respect that move and her wakeup isn't good.

Scorpion - Wait for the nerf *trollface*. Meh, i'll wait for the nerf (undeserved nerf BTW) before committing time to putting up a short write up of this MU. Until then, just water shield all day.

Shazam - Get used to punishing Shazam's torpedo which leaves him behind AM, also respect his block strings. His teleport works as an invincibile dash in that phases through characters as well, spacing wise you want to always be aware of where teleport dash will leave Shazam so you know which mixups to use as a punish (note: teleport dash has like no cooldown). Outside of teleport dash mixups and torpedo, Shazam has trouble approaching against Aquaman's standard zoning game, just don't get greedy with FTD or Trident toss. Another MU where MB water shield is great for holding the lead.

Sinestro - Aquaman gets beaten in the projectile war and as a result needs to dash in a lot. The little long range range projectile (IDK the name) lets Aquaman dash in on block unless it's meter burned. Meteor fall gives Aquaman A LOT of dash in time. Sinestro also needs to respect FTD and Trident toss if he gets too complacent in using his projectiles. Trident toss is a particularly good move for trading with his small projectile. Never back off with the dash pressure and once Sinestro is cornered, you NEED to devote all resources to keeping him cornered (it's going to take quite a bit of damage to corner Sinestro depending on the stage). Sinestro's normals and wake up game are both sub-par against Aquaman. IF AM has a decent life lead, he can sit in water shield all day because the only projectile which will chip him is the meteor that has 5 billion startup frames.

Solomon Grundy - All of the armored moves along with WCC means AM needs to respect Solomon at every range. Grundy struggles with directly punishing any jump backs so playing defensive and mixing up jump backs with dash ins will keep Grundy on his toes and get AM a few mixups. You're going to want to save at least 1 bar of meter at all times for a push block. Dash back will make WC whiff and leave him fully combo punishable.

Superman - Superman's laser camping game gets destroyed by water shield because lasers will do 0 chip and leave Superman open to FTD with the exception of perfect air height lasers. J2 and D2 beat all of Superman's air options, air laser also leaves AM with a small window to dash in under Superman. Superman needs to be fought by staying at dash-in range and always respecting f23, I don't believe f23 breath is punishable but with the nerf it's not a ridiculous pressure move and quick pokes don't let Superman be aggressive with the move. F23 PUNISHES trident rush on block if not spaced perfectly with a meterburn IIRC. Outside of f23 and any string that can be cancelled with low scoop, Superman's string aren't extremely threatening. Water Shield MB to hold onto any life lead.

Wonder Woman - For whip stance: Think Superman without lasers, f23, but instead a respectable jump in, air dash, close range mixups, and mid range overhead (which doesn't combo into anything).
Sword Stance: No idea, no WW uses Sword stance on me.
Eh, i'll come back to WW later, I felt lazy when writing this part.

Anyway, thoughts, agreements, disagreements on these MU summaries? More input on the ones I didn't have anything to write about or that I didn't cover much would be appreciated. My goal is to have something anyone can look at for any MU and have the basic concepts of that MU covered for quick review.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Small notes on Aquaman's worst matchups which usually consist of a player that can attack diagonally from the air:

Superman: A smart Superman will do whatever it takes to get life lead, and then fall back and make you dodge lasers all day. A good air dash and ground dash make it hard for Aquaman to catchup. Dont even try to use projectiles if you dont have life lead. Get crazy and rush him down. You'll need to do some praying against a good Superman player.

Black Adam: This one is getting easier now. Make him stop dive kicking by J2ing him or B3MB. He'll also do cross over jump kicks all day. Get used to blocking them. Once he realizes you know his game he'll start throwing low lightning out at the end of block strings. You HAVE to watch out for that. I actually think you can jump around all day against BA.

Nightwing: Throw your controller on the ground and walk away...All he has to do is run away and outzone you. I play with a very good Nightwing who controlls the screen up close with escrima jumping wingdings, and then staff stance ground sparks from full screen. He doesnt even bother to get in my face anymore. You CANNOT outzone Nightwing. Have fun getting in when he uses staff stance.

and lastly

Green Lantern: He will abuse the fuck out of you with air rockets. If he does them at the right height, you cant do shit. Gotta stay in on him and never jump. I also have a hell of a time in this match up. I think his normals are better and he has all the options open to him. Might be his worst matchup.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Small notes on Aquaman's worst matchups which usually consist of a player that can attack diagonally from the air:

Superman: A smart Superman will do whatever it takes to get life lead, and then fall back and make you dodge lasers all day. A good air dash and ground dash make it hard for Aquaman to catchup. Dont even try to use projectiles if you dont have life lead. Get crazy and rush him down. You'll need to do some praying against a good Superman player.

Black Adam: This one is getting easier now. Make him stop dive kicking by J2ing him or B3MB. He'll also do cross over jump kicks all day. Get used to blocking them. Once he realizes you know his game he'll start throwing low lightning out at the end of block strings. You HAVE to watch out for that. I actually think you can jump around all day against BA.

Nightwing: Throw your controller on the ground and walk away...All he has to do is run away and outzone you. I play with a very good Nightwing who controlls the screen up close with escrima jumping wingdings, and then staff stance ground sparks from full screen. He doesnt even bother to get in my face anymore. You CANNOT outzone Nightwing. Have fun getting in when he uses staff stance.

and lastly

Green Lantern: He will abuse the fuck out of you with air rockets. If he does them at the right height, you cant do shit. Gotta stay in on him and never jump. I also have a hell of a time in this match up. I think his normals are better and he has all the options open to him. Might be his worst matchup.
You're playing the nw MU wrong, ill explain sometime later.

as for the grundy match-up MB B3 rapes a lot of his options as well as WCC

and you can reversal sinestros projectiles with FTD i dont see how he can zone AM without trait

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Green Arrow - Dash in distance, use FTD to punish the wakeup where green arrow jumps back and shoots an arrow. FTD punish an arrow pull and forces Green Arrow to be aggressive if he wants to win. Green Arrow has nice mixups at jump in distance and REALLY safe strings (d1 -> ice arrow can't be interrupted with trading AM's d1 for an ice arrow). Be greedy in clashes because most good green arrows like saving meter for their super setups. The key here is to never be afraid of the character and instead challenge his offense because in the corner he is a nightmare.

You can D1 interupt D1~Icearrow on block, right after the D1,

AQUAMAN fucks green arrow up, he cant jump at you because of your uppercut, and he can't stay out because of trident, or jump back for that matter, and when you do get a D1~Arrow, you can just trait to fuck all that shit up.