What's new

Strategy Match opener choices

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Bat Breakers,

What are your prefered methods of starting the match?

I've toyed with this and it's kind of a crap shoot sometimes. In KOTH or Survival you may have a chance to study your opponent a bit, however many react to your choice as Bane. I've only seen one other person use him ever, but it must be known to not get too close to a good one; not claiming to be btw. In a 1v1 you can really set the tone, what are your strategy's?

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I've been starting off with a D.1 poke recently. But sometimes you get jumped in on. I either go with that, the venom uppercut, a body splash, or double punch.

Venom uppercut is bad if the opponent doesn't jump in. You'll land right in front of them and get blown up.

I find double punch with venom is pretty good. It will stuff anything on the ground. I've noticed Grundy players seem to like to come right at you, so it stuffs them. It also moves you far enough forward so that someone jumping in goes over you. You can follow up with another Double punch or back dash or whatever. Someone who just backed up might be able to punish you, but you can often go right into another double punch.

On a random matchup, I either double punch or play it safe. I'm no expert either, so take it for what it's worth.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
You generally don't want to open a match with an unsafe move unless the it yields high rewards. In this case, first attack bonus is your high reward, so you can play a bit riskier. That being said, venom uppercut... no way. Double punch and d+1 are probably your best bet. Sometimes, I start by walking forward against characters with weak range or want to back up.

If i think they are going to rush in on me (nightwing, flash, grundy) i will throw out an armored command grab right off the bat. Even on whiff its not TOO bad on recovery.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Honestly for me, I lead in with d.1, and if I see them jump I can cancel it into venom upper on reaction. Its one of those great things when your d.1 cancels into "I can stuff any option you have"

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
If anybody jumps at me off the bat, d2~d,b1 and d,b2 is pretty good to knock them off. After knockdown, just body splash and mix up. People down block a lot, so I follow up with b2,1 then dash up command grab with 1 pt of venom, no meter burn. Repeat another command grab after while the venom is still up and if they don't jump or backdash, you can grab them again in a psuedo loop.

The good thing about opening with Venom x1 double punch is that you can follow it immediately with another one and catch most people. If someone jumps in, you'll go under them or actually hit some characters out of the air. When they land on the other side most characters try to go right into a string and you can smack them with the double punch again. Some people keep jumping and you can hit them with an uppercut.

D_Snug

More Venom
I usually start a match standing there preparing for a mindless opening match jump to AA command grab. That'll send a message to not jump in so stupidly. If the don't jump in and actually respect you, I like to level 1 armor up and do his charge maybe once or twice to see how they deal with it cuz most players online don't know how to deal with armor rush and some punish you everytime. If they consistently punish rushes you must dash in slowly and use your rushes at appropriate times. If they keep getting hit by rush then just keep rushing your heart out :)