What's new

Buff Mommy Academy: Marisa Combos, Mix-ups & Neutral Guide

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
WELCOME TO BUFF MOMMY ACADEMY. WE CRUSH ALL THE SKULLS! 19 YEAR OLD GIRLS? WE PUNCH THEM INTO THE GROUND! OLD MEN? WE BREAK THE BACK OF THEIR SKULLS OPEN. WE MIX YOU IN THE CORNER AND YOU SAY "THANK YOU MOMMY."

Art by https://www.deviantart.com/raijin72675/art/Pankration-SF6-Marisa-959809656

disclaimer: I am a filthy NRS player so I'm playing with modern controls, and as such, all the combos I will list will be with the modern buttons. If you play Marisa with classic controls, I will gladly add all your combo annotations to the OP.

Annotations:
Light = 1
Special Move= 2
Medium= 3
Heavy = 4
S=Standing
OD: Overdrive (enhanced special)
DI= Drive Impact
DRC=Drive Rush cancel

Specials:
Gladius: S2
Scutum: F2. Follow up stance, D2, B2, F2 OR F22.
Dimachaerus: B2F2
Phalanx: D2
*Quadriga: Not in modern

COMBOS [MODERN]

Mid-Screen:
R2/RT+4,4 DRC, B4, OD Phalanx, Super (lvl 1, 2, but 3 only connects if they’re low enough.)

Corner:
R2/RT+4,4, DRC, B4, OD Phalanx, Scutum cmd grab OR any super.
R2/RT+4,4, D4 (hold), OD Gladius, Super lvl 2-3.

Drive Impact Corner:
DI, B4, OD Phalanx, Scutum cmd grab - 3304 Dmg
DI, B4, OD Phalanx, Super (any level) - 3217 Dmg
DI, B4, OD Phalanx, D4 (hold), OD Gladius, Super (lv2 or 3) - 5348 Dmg

Drive Impact Mid-Screen:
*Same as her usual mid-screen combos, but have to do them quickly or the opponent will be in mid-air state.

TECH & TIPS
CONTROLLING NEUTRAL
Marisa is an amazing mix-up and pressure character, and she was also blessed with amazing tools to control neutral. Here's how to use them effectively.

Gladius (S2), has a massive forward hitbox, it has armor, and will destroy Drive Impacts, one hit projectiles, and punish attempts at run ins, such as Kimberly's run slide and Zangief's running command grab. You can take a step back, charge up Gladius and rejoice in all the damage it'll do and you punish them for daring to come towards buff mommy. Also great to use on wake up, especially the EX version for more of a FU to the opponent.

Phalanx (D2), her superman punch, advances buff mommy forward, has armor, and JUMPS over projectiles. And guess what, IT'S SAFE ON BLOCK. Seriously, this move is insanely good. Abuse it to cover ground and to jump over projectiles and close the distance on zoners. Even if they block it, continue to oppress with R2+33 as they will press buttons and it will punish for a full big mommy damage combo.

The string,
F34, has some good mind games. You can't cancel it into a special, but it's forward advancing and you can go into Super lvl 1 with it. It has a low variation, F33. You can use F3 on block and grab, or cancel into Phalanx (D2), because both of the variations of this string are negative and punishable on block. And the kick of F34, is a high and can be ducked. So be careful. Just like Gladius, you can easily take a step back and go into this string for an easy punish into super into ggs shake my muscular hand.

MIX-UPS
If you get them in the corner, it's OVER for them. Here are the tools you can use to make your opponent rage quit.

As mentioned above, you can mix up with F34, and F33, but use sparingly as it's unsafe.

The
Scutum stance (F2) is the main mix-up you will be using. Not only does it counter 1 hit if you hold it you can EX to gain armor on opponent knockdown if they want to wake up buttons. It has a two hit overhead, a command grab, and a low sweep. It's all negative on block, however, so conditioning your opponent is important because you can get poked and thrown out of it.

The sweep, F2B2, has a large hitbox and is good to catch them off guard and can also be used to control neutral.

The command grab,
F2D2, will eat Drive Impacts and a lot of wake ups. Keep in mind that if you do it in the corner, it'll push Marisa back out of buff mommy oppression range so use F3, DI, or Phalanx (D2) to get back in.

You can also hold the stance, F2, for more mind games. The opponent might see you do it, walk back and think they're out of range of the grab, overhead, or low, and then you hold it, and they still get countered.

You can also use Drive Rush Cancels to get in and go for a Scutum stance mix-up, or straight up grab.

CORNER
The corner is where you want them to be, and Marisa will bridal carry them there with ease with 1 optimal combo, and another knockdown. Once you have your opponent in prison, aka the corner, you have to gate keep the hell out of them. Don't let them feel like they have a way out. This is where Marisa truly becomes oppressive and scary.

• Use the Scutum stance to make them guess.
  • Use Scutum to counter their wake up attempts.
  • Stuff their Drive Impacts with a throw on knockdown.
  • Walk back, use F33 to force them to block low, then when they do, grab.
  • Walk back, use Gladius to punish their wake up buttons.
  • Drive impact their own DI attempts and go for a juicy corner combo.
If you've done all this, they're either dead or they rage quit.

PRESSURE
Marisa's pressure is oppressive, just like her towering height. Here's how to pressure your opponent so they'll want to throw their controllers.

Apart from her excellent tools to control neutral and to mix up as mentioned above, there's one more thing you need to abuse the crap out of: D1 auto combo. That mf will knock down your opponent right at her size 14 feet and if you hit it on block, it'll leave you at a safe distance to Gladius. This is where you will begin your oppressive maneuvers. Use Scutum after knockdown to go for a throw if you think they'll drive impact, or go for the overhead or low mix up. The overhead is AMAZING to meaty. Take a micro step back, and F33 for another up close knock down. Scutum stance, rinse and repeat. Once they're scared to press buttons just grab until they die.

Ez ggs, shake my muscular hand.

VIDEO GUIDES

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
she is 100% going to be nurffed... I wouldn't get to attached : )

"Buff Mommy Academy".... that and a portrait of her would make a boss T-Shirt.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I completed her combo trials, labbed some stuff and added some combos for mid screen, corner and drive impacts. Will have to lab mid screen drive impacts today though. Not sure what will connect.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Have been playing her since Friday, I added a lot of info about how to control neutral with her and how to mix. I'll add more stuff as I figure them out!

Jynks

Been hearing a lot of goss about how this char is a day 1 tuck, but will have bad longevity.... namely as her pokes don't combo and actually are punishable.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Yeah, it's the trade off for the armor and the advancing moves imo. But if you can do micro walk backs and be patient and punish it's fine.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Most of the Marisa players at Rank mode acting like those armored moves gonna win everytime, first it did work on me tbh now i am just playing throw game with my Cammy, looks like Marisa's armored moves are vulnerable against Cammy's hooligan grab and sometimes i am breaking Marisa's armor with my fast buttons. Here is a matchup knowladge for Marisa players, do not activate your armors at midscreen against Cammy, her level 1 super and charged spiral Arrow breaking those moves, do not go for jumping punch special so often because Cammy's light DP is so fast and definetely have enough time to react it. i hope this would help to Marisa army.

Jynks

Yeah.. She hasn't got longevity imo... She's one of those characters that dose well with cheese until the community has collectively got better at the game. Honda's head butt and but slam is another example of something that works.. But kinda doesn't

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Most of the Marisa players at Rank mode acting like those armored moves gonna win everytime, first it did work on me tbh now i am just playing throw game with my Cammy, looks like Marisa's armored moves are vulnerable against Cammy's hooligan grab and sometimes i am breaking Marisa's armor with my fast buttons. Here is a matchup knowladge for Marisa players, do not activate your armors at midscreen against Cammy, her level 1 super and charged spiral Arrow breaking those moves, do not go for jumping punch special so often because Cammy's light DP is so fast and definetely have enough time to react it. i hope this would help to Marisa army.
Yeah, Cammy's spiral arrow will 100% break her armor. I don't know what her poke combo is but @STB Sgt Reed plays her against me a lot and it breaks the armor of even her Drive Impact lmao.

Yeah.. She hasn't got longevity imo... She's one of those characters that dose well with cheese until the community has collectively got better at the game. Honda's head butt and but slam is another example of something that works.. But kinda doesn't
Marisa still has amazing neutral and forward advancing moves. Even if they break her armor, all she has to do is play footsies. She's not a cheese character, she's a patience character, until you get them in the corner, then you go ham lmao.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I haven't really used them much. It's fun to clock someone with, and ok to break tempo in turn exchanges in rare occasions, but hard to imagine them being a strat past low level Silver.

I haven't really played many good players though. Most Cammys seem pretty lost, though I did run into a wicked good one last night that played a good long while. I got thrown a lot

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
I haven't really used them much. It's fun to clock someone with, and ok to break tempo in turn exchanges in rare occasions, but hard to imagine them being a strat past low level Silver.

I haven't really played many good players though. Most Cammys seem pretty lost, though I did run into a wicked good one last night that played a good long while. I got thrown a lot
i started at Silver Rank 2 stars, spend most of times in practice rathet than Rank mode, after doing this i jumped into Platinium 3 stars in 4 days. SF6's practice, tutorial and character guide modes are good af and teaching you to how to approach the game in a good way, i just practice on some key things like how to counter drive impact with mine, how to carry my opponent to the corner as quick as possible, how to extend my executions, trying to be perfect at antiairs, how to whiff punish.. i really love practicing in SF6 while most of the players just goes into ranked and keep mashing drive impacts and od dps. i just want to be good at neutral, keep my resources for corner pressure and executions and be a patient player. Lastly i want to learn every matchups for my character. My goal is Master Rank with Cammy then learn a different character until Akuma. Probably DeeJay, right now i spend 63 hours at practice and 4 hours 20 minutes at ranked.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
i started at Silver Rank 2 stars, spend most of times in practice rathet than Rank mode, after doing this i jumped into Platinium 3 stars in 4 days. SF6's practice, tutorial and character guide modes are good af and teaching you to how to approach the game in a good way, i just practice on some key things like how to counter drive impact with mine, how to carry my opponent to the corner as quick as possible, how to extend my executions, trying to be perfect at antiairs, how to whiff punish.. i really love practicing in SF6 while most of the players just goes into ranked and keep mashing drive impacts and od dps. i just want to be good at neutral, keep my resources for corner pressure and executions and be a patient player. Lastly i want to learn every matchups for my character. My goal is Master Rank with Cammy then learn a different character until Akuma. Probably DeeJay, right now i spend 63 hours at practice and 4 hours 20 minutes at ranked.
I've not played much ranked at this point. It dropped me off at Plat 1 with Marisa and I got to plat 2 right after, but my connections were constantly awful around that time. My ISP connection was really bad for a few days and I was getting max rollback frames all the time and slowing down the game so I had to stop playing online. Seems better now, but I'm also finding out I can't have anything else using my internet or be doing other things on my rig or it's still a bit sketch.

Spent most of my time in training and some CPU battles. Most of my online was just in hub or casuals. Probably less than an hour of ranked out of 71 hours in the game.

At this point I can probably try again. Been playing Marisa and Chun Li. I plan on trying to play a little Cammy at somewhere along the line

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Superman punch is +2 on block, literally EVERYONE tries to whiff punish it to no avail, and I whiff punish their whiff punish in return because, well, that's my gameplan. No one I have fought up to Gold understood this. Marisas will spam pokes into superman in the corner for a reason. She can be hit out of it if you down poke since it only has front armor.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.