What's new

Tech - Cutthroat Making use of roll's knockdown

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Before I start, there are two things that need to be understood:

a.) On hit roll provides over 30 frames of hitadvantage, which is plenty indeed. Roll from the air gives a hardknockdown and less plus frames, but still enough for the technique below.

b.) Roll provides more plusframes, when used on an airborne opponent (during juggle/combo).

So what's the tech already?

a.) After every roll you can run in, press "down" (to cancel the run) and then go for a neutral jump. Most wakeup-attacks will whiff (pretty much everything but maybe spin and sonya's arckick and a few others :p). Many other wakeups can be punished on whiff by using another roll (e.g. slide on reaction).

After the neutral jump you can use a late JK, which gives you some frameadvantage. Must be like 6, because d4 jails, when done late enough.

There is too much pushback for the 50/50. If this is what you want to go for, then you have to do a NJ without doing any attack and go for the mindgame.

b.) This is more of a corner tech: When you finish a combo on an airborne opponent (with roll), you have like 45 plusframes. This is enough to activate the buff, then go for a 50/50 (or bait wake-up and punish it accordingly, as the buff won't go away on block).

@Jupe
@MsMiharo

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
B is pretty well known as this was the original buff tech (before you could ex buff and continue a combo). does a work with tech roll?

jokey77

Character Loyalist
It does, if you run in as far as possible. The range of kick is further than the roll. At least this is the conclusion I came to! :)

(Ok, B was long before my Kano time then ;-) )

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
It does, if you run in as far as possible. The range of kick is further than the roll. At least this is the conclusion I came to! :)

(Ok, B was long before my Kano time then ;-) )
from my testing: if they tech roll they'll often punish you since you NJ slight distance away from them.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Just ran another test, I think we are both right. Technically the roll will cause the kick to whiff. Practically you continue running once the opponent starts rolling. Thus you run into and through his former position. Then you can go for the technique.

Had the practice mode dummy on "random roll" and "random time for getting up" and it did work pretty ok.