What's new

Majority new characters or majority returning characters?

Who should be the characters for MK10?

• Total voters

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Lets face it people...

Aside from a smaller percentage of Mortal Kombat super-fans, most casual fans wholl get this new MK seriously wouldn't care if they didn't bring back nearly any characters that made their first appearance from mk4 to mkvdc.

It actually gives NRS quite in opputunity though.

In developing MK9 they strived to please all the fans from the acclaimed mk-umk3. Now, they could seriously pack the new game with more COMPLETELY UNIQUE characters unlike before where Cyber-Sub-Zero was the only "new" character who wasn't a guest character.

This goes hand in hand with the other thread asking how many characters should there be considering their budget and time frame.

What do you guys here at TYM think they should do?

I personally wouldn't care if they only brought back about 8 characters from mk9, about 8 from mk4-mkvdc, then the rest new. 85% of the mk4-mkvdc cast were really unmemorable in my eyes.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Quarter from MK9 then some from MK4.

Then lots of new people.

Let's just hope the new blood at NRS are good at designing new characters, or they get their sisters at DC to lend a hand.
Some of those 3D characters man....

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
The other thing to is, even if certain Mk9 characters DO return, theyd have to be redesigned from the ground up considering the balance and design of most normal strings in mk9 was pretty flawed in regards to hitbox/framedata/utility.

So if people wouldn't want too many returning characters from mk9, I wouldn't worry too much because I think they'll feel very different regardless of who returns.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I think Skarlet, Rain, and Kenshi(though heavily, HEAVILY redesigned) should return.

For being DLC they got the short end of the stick in 9, would like to see them get proper story representation.

Killjoy McGee

[Hype Intensifies]
I would like to see Reptile back but I assume that would be a given.

Other than that I am not fussed, although I would like to see one or two new characters created for this new game.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
MK vs DC, though uncanon, happened between mk2 & mk3. It will probably be returning characters with new twists in plotlines. Hopefully kira gets her own moveset and not a mix of sonya/kano anymore.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I said it in the other thread, but I'll say it here too. I really think NRS should take advantage of MK9's success and use it as the foundation to build from.

Bring back the MK9 cast with balance tweaks (buff the weak, fix the broken) and then add some new gameplay mechanics and characters into the mix. This way, those millions of people who bought MK9 and the tournament vets can hop right in and hit the ground running. It also provides an opportunity for a much more balanced game. Using the past 3 years of MK9's life as a test, they should have all the data they need to properly balance the cast, which makes it easier to add a few new guys to it instead of a making an almost entirely new cast and trying to balance everyone. I personally think the best step forward is to improve upon MK9 slowly but surely. Add tons of new single player content, but keep the game's core (and characters) mostly intact.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I said it in the other thread, but I'll say it here too. I really think NRS should take advantage of MK9's success and use it as the foundation to build from.

Bring back the MK9 cast with balance tweaks (buff the weak, fix the broken) and then add some new gameplay mechanics and characters into the mix. This way, those millions of people who bought MK9 and the tournament vets can hop right in and hit the ground running. It also provides an opportunity for a much more balanced game. Using the past 3 years of MK9's life as a test, they should have all the data they need to properly balance the cast, which makes it easier to add a few new guys to it instead of a making an almost entirely new cast and trying to balance everyone. I personally think the best step forward is to improve upon MK9 slowly but surely. Add tons of new single player content, but keep the game's core (and characters) mostly intact.
This this this.

Trying to bring in a whole new cast is recipe for disaster, competitively speaking.

So you just want an update to MK9? That would be UMK9 not MK10.

For MK10 they will be using a new engine for next gen anyway.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage

Its a good way of looking at things, but i disagree man.

More than half of the cast in Mk9 were just ill designed with more than half of their movesets being completely useless in competitive play.

Because they were mostly all so ill designed it means that redesigning their string's hitboxes/animations/framedata would almost be like making an entirely new character anyway.

The patches for MK9 helped a little but most moves, and the mechanics of the game itself were just too flawed (random frame data, random hit trades, irrational hitboxes, they were only able to patch certain things unlike injustice where they could patch more things).

Nrs has learned tons since then, I really wouldn't worry about them not bringing back more than half of the mk9 cast competitively speaking

Last edited: