What's new

Question - Sun God Mace Parry Discussion 7-2-15

ive always had a lot of fun playing Kotal but I stopped playing him because my win loss ratio with Sun God was pretty bad. I main stunt double Johnny. The combos with KK have never been a problem but opening people up and using his parry have both been things I've struggled with. Could we discuss some good ways to get our combos going and string that we can interrupt the third hit with the party? Or when do y'all use the party?

Error404

Noob
You can't open people up with the parry it's strictly a defensive option in my opinion. To open people with KK you do 114 xx df1 and get advantage on block . At that point you b1/throw/command grab. Also just waiting for whiff punishes is perfectly viable strategy with kotal. Oh and d4 command grab on block. Use it.

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
I'll start, any reason for b1? Do you b122? I also feel so dirty command grabbing so much
B1 can tick throw.

If you feel dirty for using this variations main tool then you shouldn't be playing him.

If you are not abusing it you are doing it wrong.

The more you grab, the more frustrated the opponent gets and attempts to not block so much and in turn you have opened them up for combos.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Humiliating and denigrating your opponent by ordering them on their knees literally a dozen times per match is the absolute beauty of Sun God Kotal Kahn. Especially off d1 spam into tic throws.

#PraiseTheSun
#SunGodSquad
#OnYerKnees

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
Okay, my brother is gonna be so pissed. Should I counter pok
es with parry?
A better strategy with parry is to train for a behavior so the parry gives you big damage.

i.e. f+2, then f+2 again. Once he starts interupting it (the pushback makes it all weird to where no one really punishes it on block), then do f+2, parry.

I use unsafe string stops like f+1 > air throw > parry because people have to first differentiate from 1,1,4 > air throw having advantage before they an even punish it. Then, they're ultra committed once they punish it once which makes it perfect parry bait. Also, parrying someone else on wake up when they go straight up YOLO is good because it parries highs/lows/throws. There is no mix up when you parry.

This is the same reason that wake up parry is good versus someone pressuring you because if they start a 50/50 string, ex parry cuts through it because there is no mix up.