What's new

Lost Windows Product Key, don't have sticker on bottom! have no fear

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Finding the Windows Key Without Any Software (Advanced Users Only)
Assuming you can boot your computer without any problems, you can easily create a simple VBscript that will read the value out of the registry and then translate it into the format that you need for reinstalling.

in otherwords its in the Registry Key's, but its in Binary so no human can read it!

well its good i know how to!

copy this into a notepad and rename it to: productkey.vbs
NOTE:no capitals or spaces, must have .vbs extension!

i recommend that you save as: to the desktop, for easy access!

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

You’ll need to use File -> Save As, change the “Save as type” to “All Files” and then name it productkey.vbs or something similar ending with the vbs extension

Once you’ve saved it, you can just double-click and the popup window will show you your product key.

whoop der it is.jpg

now you can upgrade to any windows version and safely Activate it with no worries!(this will only work if you have a unique version of windows and didnt steal it off the internet)

what i have shown you is legal i do not condone illegally stealing windows copies, if you want a free OS install Linux any flavor!

Now you will never lose your Product Key, no need to regenerate one after waiting hours if not days for Microsoft Tech to do it for you!

Last edited: