What's new

Question - Thunder God Looking for help with TG Raiden, a few questions.

Hello TYM -

So I am fairly new to MKX, but not new to MK. I used to follow these forums, but never posted on them during MK9. I guess because I'm having much more problems on this one more so than the previous titles. Mainly because of the newer mechanics of the game/the way wake-ups, and pressure work in this one.

I've chosen Raiden to be my main on MKX simply because I really liked the way TG looked in all of the gameplay I've seen. I've been on the game for a few weeks time, and I'm just looking to improve my odds. At this point I am able to do everything with Raiden that I've read I need to be able to do. (LRC, Corner Pressure) but I'm really just trying to polish everything up so that I can actually start getting repetitive.

So here are some of my questions, and if you have any tips besides these I would be more than happy to take them.

1.) How do you generally open your Raiden match? Do you play safe by backstepping/jumping? Or do you open with his 6f? I know it depends on your opponent, but as a general rule how do you find yourself starting out that works best for you?

2.) When punishing, what string do you find works best? I like the f1, but since it's a high if I make a mistake, or don't react fast enough it seems to cause me some grief. That's really just a part of my unpolished play. I tend to punish with f12, MBdf2, then into a 30% with the LRC, but I don't know if there's a better option?

3.) When using 1122 I can never seem to finish with a superman. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's my timing, but I cannot seem to finish that string, which I use a lot to build meter, but when it connects I of course want to finish it with the fly to get them in the corner. Any tips on this?

4.) When you're using your 50/50 in the corner, and you connect with a b32h, what would be your follow up for maximum damage? I understand that the double overhead start is going to do more damage, but I seem to always connect with the b32h, and the damage output seems almost insignificant. I understand damage is damage, but I would like to get the most out of every single string that I use.

5.) What is your go to neutral sting? Just in general for pressure, because f12b2 does not seem to do much good for me. I get poked out all the time, or maybe that's my fault?

I'm kind of a rookie when it comes to this, but I would appreciate all the help I can get so that I can make a great player, and a great part of this community for Raiden.

:)

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Hello TYM -

So I am fairly new to MKX, but not new to MK. I used to follow these forums, but never posted on them during MK9. I guess because I'm having much more problems on this one more so than the previous titles. Mainly because of the newer mechanics of the game/the way wake-ups, and pressure work in this one.

I've chosen Raiden to be my main on MKX simply because I really liked the way TG looked in all of the gameplay I've seen. I've been on the game for a few weeks time, and I'm just looking to improve my odds. At this point I am able to do everything with Raiden that I've read I need to be able to do. (LRC, Corner Pressure) but I'm really just trying to polish everything up so that I can actually start getting repetitive.

So here are some of my questions, and if you have any tips besides these I would be more than happy to take them.

1.) How do you generally open your Raiden match? Do you play safe by backstepping/jumping? Or do you open with his 6f? I know it depends on your opponent, but as a general rule how do you find yourself starting out that works best for you?

2.) When punishing, what string do you find works best? I like the f1, but since it's a high if I make a mistake, or don't react fast enough it seems to cause me some grief. That's really just a part of my unpolished play. I tend to punish with f12, MBdf2, then into a 30% with the LRC, but I don't know if there's a better option?

3.) When using 1122 I can never seem to finish with a superman. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's my timing, but I cannot seem to finish that string, which I use a lot to build meter, but when it connects I of course want to finish it with the fly to get them in the corner. Any tips on this?

4.) When you're using your 50/50 in the corner, and you connect with a b32h, what would be your follow up for maximum damage? I understand that the double overhead start is going to do more damage, but I seem to always connect with the b32h, and the damage output seems almost insignificant. I understand damage is damage, but I would like to get the most out of every single string that I use.

5.) What is your go to neutral sting? Just in general for pressure, because f12b2 does not seem to do much good for me. I get poked out all the time, or maybe that's my fault?

I'm kind of a rookie when it comes to this, but I would appreciate all the help I can get so that I can make a great player, and a great part of this community for Raiden.

:)
As a Raiden main, and hopefully credible one, I'll be happy to cover some of these.

1. Starting matches can depend on your opponent and their character. For example, fighting Kung Jin's online nearly always starts with the Kung Jin player doing his ridiculous NJP at the start, so the best thing to do is to either back step or potentially make a hard read and armor. It all depends on the opponent, as different people have different tendencies. My advice personally is to simply walk back/back dash, or sometimes NJP, especially if you know they'll jump. Remember not to njp if it's Ferra/Torr or Kung Jin, and potentially even Outlaw Erron Black. I think backdash might be best option, but experiment and see what works for you.

2. If it's a tight punish(8-12 maybe 13f) use f12b2(do not hold it, just press it), b14 lrc 214, EXdf2, b14, bf3(or b111+3 for hkd and same damage) for around 34%.

If it's higher than a 13 frame use 214 EXdf2, b14 lrc 214 bf3 for 38-39(you can use a njp after the EXdf2 but it's difficult and can lead to a drop online, I wouldn't risk it unless you're completely confident).

3. For this string, I would do 1122, then input bf3 with the joint of your thumb while you hold 2. This way for me works 100% so I'd advise using that.

4. In the corner, if you can hit confirm, do not do the full string, as this leads to a very bad scaled combo. Instead, try to stop the 2 before the go spinning into the air, and do b14 into EXdb1, njp, b14, lrc, 214, db1 for around 36.

Alternatively you can do b32(no hold), 34, b14, EX df2, b14, lrc 214 db1 for around 38 I believe. Of of mixups, these are probably the optimal combos, at least off of b32.

5. A big part of the Raiden forums is the complaints about his neutral game, which is lacking these days compared to pre patch(back in April when the game came out, Raiden had ridiculously high 50 or so damage combos because of a scaling glitch and f1 was a 6f mid that got nerfed because you know, 6f MID.)
Anyways to complete against a competent player in the neutral, you'll need to space yourself so you can use f2, and b11, 15 and 8 frame mids respectively.

F2 is +2, but in TG it doesn't lead to massive damage, so do with that with that was you will.
B11 is -9, however, when lrc, it is +3, and can create a frame trap, but this is quite difficult. B11 CAN WHIFF ON CROUCH BLOCKS, BE WARY.
Lastly, if you condition your opponent to block high, you can use f12, but don't rely on it too much.
I honestly can't think of anything else he can do in the neutral, so these should be your main tools alongside pokes, which are unfortunately -9.

I hope I somehow covered everything, but if I wasn't clear, just point it out and I'll elaborate. Hope this helps :)

Thank you for the reply sonic,

That answers a good amount of my questions. What would be your best options for poking out of pressure? I find myself using d1 or d3 a lot, but I don't know which one is as efficient? Obviously when I'm playing I don't keep track of the w/l ratio of those certain things. I'm guessing it's d3 but if you have a better option I would like to hear it.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Thank you for the reply sonic,

That answers a good amount of my questions. What would be your best options for poking out of pressure? I find myself using d1 or d3 a lot, but I don't know which one is as efficient? Obviously when I'm playing I don't keep track of the w/l ratio of those certain things. I'm guessing it's d3 but if you have a better option I would like to hear it.
As they are both -9 and serve the exact same purpose, you're better off using d1 because it's 7f rather than d3's 8f.

But if they are blocked, you essentially lose your turn, and if someone is knowledgable of the matchup and knows you'll poke, they may well just punish it. This is a rarity though.

As they are both -9 and serve the exact same purpose, you're better off using d1 because it's 7f rather than d3's 8f.

But if they are blocked, you essentially lose your turn, and if someone is knowledgable of the matchup and knows you'll poke, they may well just punish it. This is a rarity though.
I see, so is there any better response than these 2 normals?

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
I see, so is there any better response than these 2 normals?
Honestly no. Trying to poke out with the 6f f1 can be low profiled, and the b11 is much more likely to be both beaten or alternatively, whiff. If that happensyou're kinda fucked. Raiden has however some extremely good armour options, in fact, besides his projectile, every.move has a armoured variant. On a side note, he also has the best teleport, because it's one start up frame, unpunishable, and controllable. Anyway, besides his pokes, you wanna try to rely on his armour, especially df2. Be wary because df2 and bf3 are punishable, db2 is armour breakable, and db3 will whiff on block and you're at least -30. Use them sparingly.

Honestly no. Trying to poke out with the 6f f1 can be low profiled, and the b11 is much more likely to be both beaten or alternatively, whiff. If that happensyou're kinda fucked. Raiden has however some extremely good armour options, in fact, besides his projectile, every.move has a armoured variant. On a side note, he also has the best teleport, because it's one start up frame, unpunishable, and controllable. Anyway, besides his pokes, you wanna try to rely on his armour, especially df2. Be wary because df2 and bf3 are punishable, db2 is armour breakable, and db3 will whiff on block and you're at least -30. Use them sparingly.
So is it actually a good idea to use db2? I always catch myself going for df2. Like all the time. It's great when it works because I get the full combo out of it, but I still find myself getting pressure to the point to where I almost don't want to use it. It seems like it can whiff if someone goes low sometimes, or maybe that's just the frames. I would like to conserve my armor for pressure, and reads on counter pressure if I can. Do you play on PSN or XBL?

also as for the TP I have not played as displacer, only TG. I do not feel comfortable as displacer at all, even though I do miss the TP from MK9

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
So is it actually a good idea to use db2? I always catch myself going for df2. Like all the time. It's great when it works because I get the full combo out of it, but I still find myself getting pressure to the point to where I almost don't want to use it. It seems like it can whiff if someone goes low sometimes, or maybe that's just the frames. I would like to conserve my armor for pressure, and reads on counter pressure if I can. Do you play on PSN or XBL?
It's situational which one to use. If you feel that there's a possibility they might hesitate, you should just go straight for a db2 because you're neutral on block. If you make the read that they are definitely going to pressure you, do df2 and get a 30 percent in corner carry or whatever. Those should be the main armour you use. In fact, I would advise to NEVER use db3, because it scales extremely bad(like 25 on wakeup maybe) and it has possibly the worst special hitbox in the game. I would never use this, ever.

Also, the problem with those two armours is that they are both highs, which means you can be low poked out of your armour on a read, and if they want, someone could probably just low profile your wakeup and there wouldn't be much you could do.

You should always aim to use a bar. The thing about TG is that he builds so much meter so consistently, you don't have to really manage your meter, because you can build half a bar from one string easily.

Lastly, I'm on Xbox, but I wont be on for a while.