What's new

Looking for help with conversion to stick

Totshy

Noob
I recently got an arcade stick and am making the transition from pad. I really like the pottential and it feels really good to dabble on. I am looking for tips on how to customize the bottons. Currently I am using:

Stance - FP - BP - Throw
Block - FK - BK - Tag

What I am runing into the most problems with is the placement of Block and Throw. I cannot seem to find a config that makes these easy to hit these with Punches and Kicks for enhanced moves, or with smokes JK-Air throw. Being new to stick with a fresh palette to work with I thought getting an opinion from other pad players could be useful as maybe there are layouts that make more sense then others.

For other stick players, what layouts do you use for your stick?

Would greatly appreciate any help :)

tenshox

Noob
Using a TE Stick. My Layout is :

FP TAG BP STANCE
FK BLOCK BK THROW

Stance and Throw could be messed up, i don´t know right now tbh. I am not using those, like never.

Totshy

Noob
Interesting, is there any specific reason you seperate your front and back punches/kicks like that?

tenshox

Noob
Interesting, is there any specific reason you seperate your front and back punches/kicks like that?
Yes, there is. I can easily hit EX Teleportpunch (Sektor) and EX Groundskull (Shang) with this; i can reach BLOCK+1/BLOCK+2 pretty easily without spreading my fingers that much. Plus i like the same Layout for FP/BP so i don´t mess up the buttons.

tehm

Noob
I play with the exact same layout as you Totshy and imo it's probably (one of?) the best.

Granted whatever you have the best execution on is always going to be the best FOR YOU... having thumb on block at all times while having basically every other button within easy reach of at least 2+ fingers just makes a lot more sense than any other configuration I can think of.

I'm also (re)adjusting to stick (I played soulcalibur on stick for years, but that was like 5 years ago) and haven't seemed to have a problem with that button layout at all. My problem oddly enough has been in keeping the stick perpendicular to me while not at an angle that destroys my wrist! I start playing a match with certain characters (mainly jade and her constant instant glow~fireballs) and by halfway through the stick's at a 30+ degree angle and I start making directional errors

=(

If any of you vets have any good ideas for how to tame a "run-away" stick that doesn't involve damaging the surface of my table/desk I'd love to hear it. Strongly considering doublesided tape + velcro + carpeting the bottom of the stick with the other side of the velcro. I've already tried the "no-slide" stuff they use in campers/RVs and that stuff does more harm than good.

Totshy

Noob
Glad to hear I am not the only one using the layout I came up with just toying around with options. I really like it for the most part. My biggest hinderence, and mind you I am just learning, is using enhanced specials. Using FK specials is super awkward so far. It will probably just be something that comes with time and familiarity with teh layout. But while my learning can be maluable, I figure its good to hear what other configs peopel are using and why.

I would think any kind of rubber stick on would work. Maybe - http://www.amazon.com/3M-754ES-12-Piece-Self-Stick-0-16-Inch/dp/B001QCXXWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307051455&sr=8-1

Tremloc

Noob
on my te I use

tag - fp - block - bp
stance - fk - throw - bk

mostly because it's close to the original mk layout, which i'm used to.