What's new

Match Footage Looking for Bane crits!

Hello guys,

I've been playing Bane for a while now and a *like* to think I'm shaping up ok. Sometimes I think I'm doing really well, others doing really badly. I find myself using the same strategies/combos quite often, but they seem to work so is it a problem? I'll link a few of my matches. I'd really love some help on how to improve.

I'm on PS3 so feel free to add me if you want a few matches. =D

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I watched them all. I'm forming criticisms now.

The first video is from a long time ago. Haha...

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
@Cimmerian-King

I'll start with the first online commentary since it seems closest to the current patch and has your input if that's okay with you.

You charge and jump too much to cover distance. You have a dash, use it.

Ba's lightning isn't a projectile, going level 3 does nothing for you there.

Never do back throw unless you're stalling for time. You give up a lot of advantage and venom uptime by opting to throw back instead of forward.

Try mixing in b.2xxBP because you go low a lot and the opponent is blocking it.

When approaching, try to use j.2 more than Splash. Gives you a bit more on hit, and the hitbox beats out a lot of d.2s and creates a lot more presence and pressure than splash which pulls your hitbox backwards rather than forwards...

Abuse those background bounces. They add an extra 10-12% to your BnB combos.

Don't go level 2/3 unless you're already causing pressure. Seeing you pop level 2 from full screen tells the opponent you'll be more vulnerable in a bit.

Try to use your pokes more. D.1 is fine, but try to do d.1 dp. D.2 is the main concern, the hitbox is huge and you should abuse it as such. One of banes biggest bonuses is while most moves are slow, his best pokes are fast for the distance they cover.

Thanks for the input! Yeah, the videos are a little old (I haven't recorded any recently) and I don't think I've changed much since then. I never knew that about Ba's lightning and you've got a very good point about me never using dashes. :p

Do you think when you get the enemy on a hard knockdown that a venomx1 command grab is a good strategy? I can sometimes line it up twice and then the 3rd they jump away.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Do you think when you get the enemy on a hard knockdown that a venomx1 command grab is a good strategy? I can sometimes line it up twice and then the 3rd they jump away.
Don't get too predictable with your oki but of corse mix in some command grabs. Once you've stuffed enough of their wake-ups with armored overheads and lows cancelled into armored overheads they're going to wake up trying to block and they're open for some backbreaking. Also, D2-BP is one of the best option selects he's got for incorporating command grab into his oki game since the d2 will catch a jump or backdash and the command grab will tic-throw on block. Use it!

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Don't get too predictable with your oki but of corse mix in some command grabs. Once you've stuffed enough of their wake-ups with armored overheads and lows cancelled into armored overheads they're going to wake up trying to block and they're open for some backbreaking. Also, D2-BP is one of the best option selects he's got for incorporating command grab into his oki game since the d2 will catch a jump or backdash and the command grab will tic-throw on block. Use it!
This x1000

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
@Cimmerian-King

I'll start with the first online commentary since it seems closest to the current patch and has your input if that's okay with you.

You charge and jump too much to cover distance. You have a dash, use it.

Ba's lightning isn't a projectile, going level 3 does nothing for you there.

Never do back throw unless you're stalling for time. You give up a lot of advantage and venom uptime by opting to throw back instead of forward.

Try mixing in b.2xxBP because you go low a lot and the opponent is blocking it.

When approaching, try to use j.2 more than Splash. Gives you a bit more on hit, and the hitbox beats out a lot of d.2s and creates a lot more presence and pressure than splash which pulls your hitbox backwards rather than forwards...

Abuse those background bounces. They add an extra 10-12% to your BnB combos.

Don't go level 2/3 unless you're already causing pressure. Seeing you pop level 2 from full screen tells the opponent you'll be more vulnerable in a bit.

Try to use your pokes more. D.1 is fine, but try to do d.1 dp. D.2 is the main concern, the hitbox is huge and you should abuse it as such. One of banes biggest bonuses is while most moves are slow, his best pokes are fast for the distance they cover.
This is the post of someone who only has to apply the vast pool of knowledge they already have to do well in tournament. You know what to do; just do it! Rooting for you, dude.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
This is the post of someone who only has to apply the vast pool of knowledge they already have to do well in tournament. You know what to do; just do it! Rooting for you, dude.
Haha I'm aiming for one win at least, but honestly if I had 100-1 odds against me Id still put $10 on myself.

That's my confidence

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Sorry about the wait, I was busy at FR and I finally reopened my mac. I'll give more advice soon.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
One thing that works for me is if I get people conditioned to block DP Oki, I'll hit them with b2,3 into BnB combo instead of going for a DP or BP. It mindfucks people, it seems everyone only ever suspects my Bane to use an armored move to beat their wake-up and I just hit them for a full combo.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
One thing that works for me is if I get people conditioned to block DP Oki, I'll hit them with b2,3 into BnB combo instead of going for a DP or BP. It mindfucks people, it seems everyone only ever suspects my Bane to use an armored move to beat their wake-up and I just hit them for a full combo.
Well, that's what I actually see tournament Banes do as soon as they convience people not to wake up, at that point it becomes an option to get more reward with more risk.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Well, that's what I actually see tournament Banes do as soon as they convience people not to wake up, at that point it becomes an option to get more reward with more risk.
Its funny because I do the opposite. I make them disrespect me, and then I crush their hopes and dreams for being so insolent.