What's new

Long Island, NY: Weekly Tourneys & Sessions

Cla

Noob
Please note that I will always edit this post to include the details of the latest tourney.

Castle Golf
1878 Middle Country Rd
Centereach, NY 11720

(631) 471-1267

Train Info: Take the LIRR to Ronkonkoma Station.
Contact me ahead of time to arrange a ride.

Sundays @ 3pm

Tourney Format: Double Elimination, Best-Of-3 games, default settings and Evo2k/UGS/whatever standards
  • $15 for your first game
    $10 for other games
    $5 to play in just the casuals. (includes arcade machines. Just ask me for free tokens.)
    -$5 from the final fee for anyone who brings equipment.

(Entering any game in the tourney already gives access to play in casuals.
    So no, you will not have to pay an extra $5 for the casuals.)
I'll post a pic soon so you know who I am. Basically, look for the guy with long dirty-blonde hair. I'll probably be holding a clipboard and a megaphone or something. The Castle Golf crew knows me as Eddie, but I do prefer to be called Cla especially at tourneys/sessions.

I am running weekly tourneys and casuals at Castle Golf here on Long Island. This is basically how it will break down:

Each week will alternate focus on 2D games and then on 3D games.

People are free to bring whatever systems and games they want to play casuals in. (as long as there is room and a free TV, play away.) The "focus" of each week applies only to the tourneys that I will run.

Casuals will run before and after all tourneys. I would like to ask that people avoid playing Best-Of-3 and such during casuals. That takes too long. Please just one game and then the loser goes. I would also like to ask that if you win a lot, please be nice and eventually get off anyway. Casuals that come down to one person always playing and winning are lame.

People are always encouraged to suggest games for the tourneys, by the way.

Arcade fighting games that Castle Golf has:
  • Capcom Vs SNK2
    Marvel Vs Capcom 2
    Tekken 4
    Killer Instinct
    Ultracade
    machine with SF1, SF2, SF2: Championship, SF2:Turbo, Fatal Fury III, and much more.
The consoles and tv will be set up on the food tables behind the fighting game arcade machines on the left when you walk in. There is tons of seating.

By the way, for food: There is a Burger King right next door to Castle Golf. Castle Golf sells only candy and popcorn and whatnot. Maybe drinks, I don't remember.

Alright, so here's the details for the upcoming tourneys:
(Please help pass around the flyer)

Next 3D event:
  • July 15th
    Casuals and sign-ups at 3pm. Tourneys at 4pm.
  • Tourneys & Casuals:
    Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance on PS2 or Xbox
    Mortal Kombat: Deception on PS2 or Xbox
    Mortal Kombat: Armageddon on PS2 or Xbox
    Dead Or Alive 4 on Xbox360
    Soul Calibur II on PS2 (or Xbox if I can't get a hold of an extra PS2)
    Soul Calibur III on PS2
    Virtua Fighter 5 on PS3
    Tekken: Dark Resurrection on PS3
    Power Stone 2 on Dreamcast
    Ehrgeiz on PS

We could always use more PS3s, PS2s, 360s, and TVs. Please bring some. Remember, $5 discount if you bring equipment.
  • Extra casuals:
    Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike on PS2 or Xbox
    Any games and systems you want to bring as long as there is room and a free TV.
Next 2D event:
  • July 15th
    Sign-ups and casuals at 3pm. Tourneys at 4pm.
  • Tourneys & Casuals:
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on undetermined system. Whichever version people want to bring.
    Mortal Kombat Trilogy on PS
    Street Fighter III: Third Strike on PS2
    Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on Arcade
    Capcom Vs SNK 2 on Arcade
    Guilty Gear XX Slash on Japanese PS2
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Arranged / Upper) on PS2
    Street Fighter II on Arcade
    Melty Blood on Japanese PS2
    Vampire Savior 2 on Japanese PS2
    Fist Of The North Star (Hokuto No Ken) on Japanese PS2
    Killer Instinct on Arcade

We could always use more PS2s, and TVs. Please bring some. Remember, $5 discount if you bring equipment.
  • Extra casuals:*
    Dead Or Alive 4 on Xbox360
    Soul Calibur II on PS2 or Xbox
    Soul Calibur III on PS2
    Virtua Fighter 5 on PS3
    Tekken: Dark Resurrection on PS3
    Any games and systems you want to bring as long as there is room and a free TV.

*Only if someone brings the systems and games needed.
Follow the Long Island threads to keep in touch with the whole community.

Shoryuken.com - Long Island Fight Club
Shoryuken.com - Long Island, NY: Weekly Tourneys & Sessions
LI3S.org - The Official Castle Golf Thread
TekkenZaibatsu.com - Long Island Pt. XI:We got Jocks Glocks n Big Cocks
TekkenZaibatsu.com - Long Island, NY: Weekly Tourneys & Sessions
SoulCalibur.com - Long Island New York II
SoulCalibur.com - Long Island, NY: Weekly Tourneys
DOACentral.com - Long Island DOA
DOACentral.com - Long Island, NY: Weekly Tourneys & Sessions
KillerInstinctOnline.net - Long Island, NY: Weekly Tourneys & Sessions
DustLoop.com - Possible Long Island Gatherings
DustLoop.com - Long Island, NY: Weekly Tourneys & Sessions
MeltyBread.com - NY/NJ/PA/CT/MA
MeltyBread.com - Long Island, NY: Weekly Tourneys & Sessions
TheSRM.net - East Coast Scene.
TheSRM.net - Atlantic North (As far south as Virginia, up to Maine)
TheSRM.net - Long Island, NY: Weekly Tourneys & Sessions
VirtuaFighter.com - Long Island VF
VirtuaFighter.com - Long Island, NY: Weekly Tourneys & Sessions
Shadowhaxor.net - Long Island, NY: Weekly Tourneys & Sessions
GameSpot.com - Long Island, NY: Weekly Tournaments and Sessions

Pics from previous events:

http://aycu26.webshots.com/image/15825/2003806526931396143_rs.jpg
http://aycu13.webshots.com/image/14412/2003889384316093968_rs.jpg
http://aycu21.webshots.com/image/16700/2002780692689132298_rs.jpg
http://aycu16.webshots.com/image/14455/2002770227977428152_rs.jpg

Good times. :mrgreen:

Wow, this is great... Me and frankie live pretty close to castle golf, Hey that gives me an idea- frankie... wanna set up weeklys for MK3 There? would be sweet imo. Msg me or somthing about it

Cla

Noob
Yeah that would be cool. I haven't been able to do that myself because all I have is UMK3 on Saturn with 1 working controller, and MK3 on Genesis with only 1 6-button controller.

However, I should mention that I've recently decided to stop running these events weekly and instead just every other week. Also, I am completely dropping the 2D/3D theme. All days are play anything.

I'm skipping today (June 10th) and June 24th (Evo North anyway) unless a bunch of people show up. Despite that June 17th is Father's Day, I am hoping to get a good turn out because there are some people coming from NYC (but for DOA4) and if I don't impress them, they may not come back even for the big tourney I have planned on July 1st.

July 1st (Hopefully @ 1pm, but may be 3pm)

This is the one everyone should plan for. With people coming from NJ and hopefully NYC as well, I plan to run a big event with tourneys and casuals in many games. Including, but not limited to: (feel free to suggest others)
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Killer Instinct
    Street Fighter III: Third Strike
    Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Capcom vs SNK 2
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Melty Blood: Act Cadenza
    Hokuto No Ken (Fist Of The North Star)
    Tekken: Dark Resurrection
    Dead Or Alive 4
    Virtua Fighter 5
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Vampire Savior
So definitely get ready for this.

I'd be down if we can get a bunch together for UMK3. And if we can get some sticks for use on Xbox360. Anyone else down besides me? If we can get like 10 people I'll def play :) .

I can bring an XBOX360 with UMK3, so can the other 2 people i know. so thats 3 xboxs yaya

BTW

Serious question. Are you willing to be hosting Super Smash Brother Melee tournaments and smashfest? many of the Local Smashers here on LI are looking for other places besides peoples basements and Parallax Lan.

Cla

Noob
Coolness. Maybe we can get the NYC MK scene interested in coming down here on July 1st.

LI Maverick said:
Serious question. Are you willing to be hosting Super Smash Brother Melee tournaments and smashfest? many of the Local Smashers here on LI are looking for other places besides peoples basements and Parallax Lan.
Sure. I forgot to write to Smash on my list for July 1st. I'll definitely run it then.

Don't know what day(s) Smashfest is but as long as I know ahead of time it shouldn't be a problem. 8)

Cla, if you happen to have AIM or anything, I would GLADYLY love to help you set up the SSBM and UMK3 portions of your gaming days. Honestly this is the real break we smashers have been looking for, Message me at

Zerosniper41

or my friend Ryan K (Best Falco on Long island ATM) @

SevenpieceSix

Thanks in advanced.

Cla

Noob
Just bring the systems and TVs on any Sunday when I'll actually be at Castle Golf (starting this Sunday and alternating each week) and everything will be good to go.

The only thing I'll need to know if there are any special rules standard for SSBM or UMK3 tournament play.

I'm actually not a Smash player myself, but I am looking very forward to Zero Suit Samus and Snake in Brawl.

There is a group of Smash players who meet up (typically on Fridays) at the Student Activity Center in Stony Brook University. Try to catch them sometime and see if they want to join too.

dreemernj

Ambassador
SSBM has a big following. I've never played it so I don't know the rules used for tournies but a ton of people at SmashBoards.com would know.

And UMK3 there aren't really any ground rules. Just boot the game and go.

dreemernj said:
SSBM has a big following. I've never played it so I don't know the rules used for tournies but a ton of people at SmashBoards.com would know.

: O

dreemernj

Ambassador
abc ur dead0 said:
dreemernj said:

: O
Yep, shocking, I know. I've only ever played gamecube games at store demos. I never had a GC or really hung out with anyone that had one. I've got the Wii now so I've been contemplating picking it up cause my GF might like playing it too, but I've got other games to finish up before that.

I can't wait to make it to a tourny that has SSBM though, I want to see it in action. I've watched some match vids and it looks pretty crazy.

It's a blast to play, and I want to eventually pick up a Wii and Brawl because it'll be online. My big thing with SSBM was the lack of competition. I'm better than my friends so thats no good. The computer is well, the computer, Not real competition. SSBB will be online so thats much better. I'm very much looking foward to it.

Hasent been confirmed wether or not its going to be ONLINE, but the fan base around it is for the most part NO.

What makes smash unique is that its NOT online and most new techniques arent found until tournaments happen or that technique can actually be applied in the real gameplay. ONLINE would kill this...

For example, ever hear of Wavedashing or Waveshining?

dreemernj

Ambassador
LI Maverick said:
Hasent been confirmed wether or not its going to be ONLINE, but the fan base around it is for the most part NO.

What makes smash unique is that its NOT online and most new techniques arent found until tournaments happen or that technique can actually be applied in the real gameplay. ONLINE would kill this...

For example, ever hear of Wavedashing or Waveshining?
Never heard of waveshining. Wavedashing has been in fighters for a long time.

Cla

Noob
Happy Father's Day to all yo daddys.

If anyone wants to come to Castle Golf today, a couple of NYCers will be here but mostly for DOA4. At least I would be up for some UMK3. And if you have it, I'd really like some matches in Armageddon.

I plan to show up sometime between 1 and 2.