What's new

Lil Joe is covering MK11

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
So K&M have a new video up if there isn't a thread for it.. check it out here.

Anyway.. almost more interesting to me is that LiL Joe is covering MKx at the moment on his chan
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOkzMN5Y29_Ktq3iyYAByXQ/videos

This is really great new imo. There is no doubt in my mind that MK11 seems to have seriously looked to draw from the beloved SFIV footsie based gameplay and as Arirs was talking about, SFV is not in a very good place in the capcom community. There is room here for a footsie based MK to really make an impression with the capcom crowd.

That being said LiL Joe is a hugely popular guy in the western capcom scene. Seeing him cover the game, and with luck really like it and play it, is a big deal for NRS. As I suspect much of this game design is designed to make inroads into those that liked the SFIV games and expand the competitive scene of MK.

They call these guys "influencers" for a reason. While big influencers like Max are a thing, having a Evo winner and people's champ, a actual competitive player that can run the game at an elite level. with a huge fanbase that traditionally do not play NRS games at all... this is kinda huge. I mean sure we have our NRS boys and UltraDavid the man of all codes.. but LiL Joe represents an "in"... even more so than say Aris does with the tekken crowd.

I really hope he likes MK11 and gets into it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think our biggest mistake is depending on acceptance from the Capcom crowd. No matter how good the game is, they're never gonna love it like their own. You get 5 months and then they fade away because they lose to our players.

We need to take a page from the Smash playbook and hype our own stuff. We want a bigger community we build it. And anything else is extra.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think our biggest mistake is depending on acceptance from the Capcom crowd. No matter how good the game is, they're never gonna love it like their own.

We need to take a page from the Smash playbook and hype our own stuff. We want a bigger community we build it. And anything else is extra.
I actually completely agree. Still more people playing is a good thing, and seeing other scenes get into our games is a good thing as well, imo. As long as we support our own scene it will exist and other scenes coming into it will have fun and maybe stay.

I think MK11 could be a cross community hit for NRS and I am excited by that and by the potential influx of leet level players into our competitive events but for that to happen we need "ambassadors" who are respected in those communities. I think we should be very welcoming to LiL Joe and others like him, when and if they turn up at our events.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
LI Joe is/was a umk3 player, he's not exactly a stranger to the OG MK players.

Also, not to be that guy but people literally make topics like this before the release of every MK game and the same thing always happens. This is the 5th NRS game, we know the cycle already. People go back to their games. MK11 isn't mechanically radically different that people who are used to the more "traditional" 2d fighting archetypes suddenly change their opinion on the core foundations unless they quit for meta reasons(like NRS strangling their game with frequent patch cycles).

Any growth is going to come from new players and converting online players to start competing if they really like the game and want to expand on that passion. I agree with shadow.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I maintain that MK11 is going to break the aforementioned cycle and that more cross-title players are going to stick.
SFV will almost always be tops, but it has a big enough player base to spare. And one potentially huge thing that neither MK9 nor MKX could benefit from: there pretty much is no Marvel scene to speak of.

You get the LI Joe's and the Yipes of the world to stick, add the fact that things like Body Count Fighting are around now and that odds are pretty solid that you'll see similar territorial events pop up like wrestling territories...this could, and I think WILL, be the perfect opportunity for MK to galvanize a spot at the top of the mountain next to SFV.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
I think our biggest mistake is depending on acceptance from the Capcom crowd. No matter how good the game is, they're never gonna love it like their own. You get 5 months and then they fade away because they lose to our players.

my only argument here is that the more united the FGC is the better, the reaction players had to DBFZ is a great example. Everyone played that game and had the hypest event at EVO 2018 because of it

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
He seems like a cool guy, doesn't come off snobbish or anything. He played MK 9 too for a little while at least.

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Watched a bit yesterday and it was very informative. LI Joe always been good for the NRS scene, as a player and organiser of ECT.

Last edited:

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
Aris and Floe have also both shown interest in the game, with Aris specifically noting how much SF: V not doing well helped Tekken's scene gain some ground. This is a tumultuous time for Capcom after completely fucking MvC twice and now fucking up Street Fighter. It's not unlikely, if this game is as good as it seems, that this will gain a lot of traction.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
lul Aris is in to this game the way a person is into a meme game

Floe wont ever compete in mk11 either because he doesnt compete anymore, but he’ll play it as long as the twitch views come in

Those are pretty much the 2 competing reasons most big names from other games will play tbh. nes games are always the same fundamentally. If you dont like mk games before your prob wont like this one.

i fully disagree. i would not expect such naive statements from you.
-our game is getting better so we should expect a lot of players coming from other games. you want them to love mk? lemme ask you: do YOU "love" any other game as much as mk aka your main game? see, how can you expect that from others then?
-they fade away because of multiple reasons. losing to our players as you said is a silly argument because that is what happens when you start losing interest in a new game you dont main. the same happens btw to most mk players (the few ones) competing in "their" games lul. sonicfox being an exception obviously.
-the smash argument is complete nonsense! sure we will hype our own stuff but obviously not by isolating ourselves from the rest!
mutual respect is the key! did you know that most mk players never cared about other fighting games too? it should be mentioned that it has become better from our perspective. especially when dbzf was released!
how can you expect them to play your game when you dont care about their game neither?
as an og mk player, i can tell you that i am extremely familiar with other fighting games. not as a theory fighter but as an actual player.
what about you? what was your last non nrs tournament you entered. not calling you out btw, i am just curious.
point is, you want them to play and respect our game, then do the same. it is that easy!

lets welcome players coming from other games, we want them to stay!

Last edited:
They call these guys "influencers" for a reason.
i call them influenza for a reason. but of course l.i. joe can do what l.i. joe wants. but its the same game as before every NRS release. these people are not gonna stay, not one of them.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
The problem it’s GETTING numbers it’s KEEPING them , I would say.. MKX was the highest selling FG of all time I believe. It’s just getting those millions of causals to not drop the game a few months after release. We don’t need to exactly appeal to another community as much as we need to figure out how to keep our own.

90% of my friends list were active on MKX the week it dropped. A year later? Just me.. I think the problem is most players buy it because its so imbedded in the culture it’s one of those “must have things” Everyone and there mom knows what MK is. “FATALITIES, SCORPION FUCK YEA!” Its one of those franchises that pretty much sells it self. But wen you start getting into the meat and potatoes of the game and the average joe is getting hit with 50/50’s Block strings resets etc . That just sends them right back to call of duty.

Slymind

Noob

This, and not to be cynical, since im sure LI Joe is a great guy, but, we can also question if someone is actually trying to support and promote the game, or is just riding in the initial hype to promote themselves. I would be glad to see more peolpe supporting our scene, but, for some people this is something that only time will tell.