What's new

Question Learning new char, forgetting main woes

mattnin

Noob
Ok, so I've been maining Kotal since day 1 and been playing him exclusively. I'm a father and don't get to play a whole ton, but I have about 200 hours into Kotal and much of that is Blood God and I'm pretty damn good with him if I say so myself and unstoppable especially locally.

Well I decided to finally pick up another character, mournful Kitana and I'm getting adept and racking in some wins. Now I'm playing Ermac too and enjoying the game a little more!

Well so I was practicing online and feeling competitive and because I was so noobish with Ermac I wanted to kick this guys a$$ who was trolling with BG Kotal so I selected him after a couple days playing nothing but Kitana and Ermac. Just as I was gonna bury this troll with the full power of Osh Tekk, it seems like I forgot to play Kotal! I was dropping easy combo extenders and was trying Kitana's own moves with Kotal! I mean seriously? Wtf!! After 200 hours? So I got seriously bodied and feel like such a noob.

Anyone deal with the same problem? Any tips? I guess I need to still train and find time for Kotal whilst working on other characters. I just can't believe I mixed up things so quickly!

Kalaise

Noob
That hasn't happened to me since the days of MK9, but all I can say is find a nice balance between playing main/new characters so you dont develop such a strong muscle memory with a new character and you dont input x controls for z character.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I don't know how old you are, but it may be an age thing. Many years ago I was able to know how to play 8-9-10 characters in Tekken, maybe more actually. Now I can only play 2 at the same time before I would forget things I did with the 1st character if I pick up a 3rd. Even with two I have to "warm up" before I play people, where as before I could pull out my 7th used character I hadn't touched in over a week for the MU and pull off 65% wall carry combos in a tournament match.

Damn, getting old sucks.

mattnin

Noob
Yea, it could be an age thing, I'm 38 and I'm forgetting stuff like how to spell and I won my middle school spelling bee!

It's funny because I can still play and know everything about Street Fighter II Turbo and all the characters and the original MK and MK2 but forget about my 200 hr Kotal after just 2 days.
/agree Getting old sucks