What's new

Strategy - Kung Lao Kung Lao approach

I started using Kung Lao since day one, but I'm a very aggresssive player and despite being succesful playing him something felt odd, recently I had a character crisis and tried other characters so I think now I have a better perspective of the character.
Anyway, I have read the forum and do a little research and I think that Kung Lao mains (including myself) should try a different approach for the character, based on the tools he has I think he is more of a setup/trap/footsie/whiff punisher character than rushdown heavy, even in buzzsaw he lacks mixups, he has very solid tools to get in in every variation but he lacks the mixups and pokes to pressure, he only has b2/b2,b2 into low hat for this purpose but it's quite risky considering the reward, his frametraps are also risky in my opinion, considering 1,1 starts high and every string into teleport can be severly punished.
The way I see the character is that he should try to trap always the opponent and then go for offense, in hat trick (as the user Laguna Loire pointed) he must stay away until he sandwiches the opponent and try to setup another trap, in buzzsaw he can employ the hat to make the opponent think twice about closing the gap and he can start a more direct approach, and in tempest I feel he is more of a traditional defensive character with better damage overall, a more defensive spin (better as anti-air too) and weaker trap game.
I didn't play mk9 competitively so I don't know much about the older KL, maybe I'm wrong about the character, there are many things to be developed in his gameplay (like resets mid combo with ex tele) but right now that's my opinion about him.
What do you guys think?