What's new

Question - Kitana Kitana - Possible Best Backdash in MKX?

REO

Undead
So we usually always hear players talk about how some backdashes are ridiculous in MKX like Quan Chi, Sub-Zero's, and even Kano's. Their backdashes look like they recover very quickly, and even cover a lot of distance. But why does no one ever mention Kitana's backdash? As a matter of fact, Kitana's backdash is said to be very bad or not that good by some. Well the truth is... Kitana may possibly have the best backdash in MKX and there's more to it than meets the eye at first.

Below is a video I made to test Kitana's backdash against one of the characters whom many consider to have the "best" backdash - Quan Chi.

The beginning parts of the video is just me demonstrating with some of the character's attacks and showing that this method is accurate and everything was captured in 60 FPS. I tested the start up frames of some attacks.

Some notes about Kitana's backdash:

- It seems to have slightly more range by a few pixels when compared to Quan Chi's backdash
- Her backdash seems to recover on the 29th frame which is similar to Quan Chi's backdash
- I need to find a way to properly test the invincibility frames on both characters (will be updated soon)

Kitana's backdash visually LOOKS like it's not that good. But don't let that fool you. Characters like Quan Chi and Kano just have slicker and smoother looking animations to their backdashes which gives them the illusion that they're way better. Kitana has one of the best backdashes in MKX, if not the best.

Just thought I'd share some of my labbing because I didn't expect Kitana's backdash to be that good and hopefully this helps some of you out there.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Excellent work SombREOness.

I suppose it's similar to the MK9 Rain dash situation, with the dash nerf that came in the final patch, a lot of people claimed it was done to fuck over Rain's Roundhouse Dash Cancels, yet when Somberness started doing analysis on the more universal aspects of the game, he exposed that Rain's dash was just relatively terrible anyway lol.

It would be interesting to use frame by frame analysis for other "hear-say" aspects and mechanics of MKX that NRS hasn't really disclosed info on, but it's understandably very time consuming.

gam224

The world's least hype player
As a kitana main I notice it's good in the neutral but a very poor wake up option. Most strings beat it on wake up which I think is the difference between it and Kano / quans back dash. It's still very good . Keep up the good work REO

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
As a kitana main I notice it's good in the neutral but a very poor wake up option. Most strings beat it on wake up which I think is the difference between it and Kano / quans back dash. It's still very good . Keep up the good work REO
So you think it lacks invincibility frames compared to the likes of Kanos?

REO

Undead
Excellent work SombREOness.

I suppose it's similar to the MK9 Rain dash situation, with the dash nerf that came in the final patch, a lot of people claimed it was done to fuck over Rain's Roundhouse Dash Cancels, yet when Somberness started doing analysis on the more universal aspects of the game, he exposed that Rain's dash was just relatively terrible anyway lol.

It would be interesting to use frame by frame analysis for other "hear-say" aspects and mechanics of MKX that NRS hasn't really disclosed info on, but it's understandably very time consuming.
I actually plan to do a lot of frame data works in the future. There's some important things in MKX that there isn't frame data for, lol. But as you said, it is VERY time consuming so it will come in periodic time.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Try to see who has the worst and then compare it to the best, to see how much of a difference it is. You might have to wait until 3/1 but it would be an interesting video.

Also, like always good information, just wish you would talk over the video to explain exactly you are looking at.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I have a question to ask but I don't know where to post. What is the recovery frame of forward dash? Does everyone has a universal recovery frame or it varies depend on characters? (it seems like forward dash recovery frame is the same for everyone)